News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Venting Thread

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 07:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Whoever is proffering medical advice without the proper credentials should be reported.

That's outside their remit and if allowed to continue could have serious consequences.

(I hope you didn't really cancel the appointment, etc.--that was just sarcasm, right?)

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

the_geneticist

Quote from: Charlotte on September 22, 2021, 08:26:40 AM
I reluctantly agreed to complete some medical tests to see if my doctor can pinpoint why my heart is having some issues. I already felt like I was being ridiculous because the chances of it being serious are very small.

I go to get the tests done at the hospital and get lectured by the staff in admitting because I'm probably just anxious. But don't go on any of those medications because they have too many negative side effects. Just take this herbal remedy. It helped their cousin a lot.

I feel stupid enough for having mentioned any of this to my doctor, much less having other people weigh in and think I'm overreacting. And really, people who work in admitting shouldn't be diagnosing. That was unprofessional. If they looked at my medical history, they'd see I've been on a heart medication for three years which fixed my issues until a few months ago. But sure, anxiety. Case closed, cancel the tests, order the herbal remedy.

I'd file a formal complaint.  The admitting staff are being unprofessional and honestly dangerous ("just take an herbal remedy"). 

Vkw10

Do more with less. Do more with less. Do more with less.

No, we will not "do more with less." We are stretched too thin, with horrible morale and cutting too many corners trying to cover everything. We will Do Less With Less. I'll give you a list Friday of the things we are going to Stop Doing.

No more. All the pet projects and traditional events and initiatives not directly related to good teaching and research are being dismantled. Feel free to find another chair.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

downer

This school I work does not provide any help facility for its LMS. All enquiries have to go through the helpdesk of the LMS.

I submitted my request for help 11 days ago, and today I finally get a response. The response says "we see you sorted out the problem." Yeah, I did.

So it will generally take about 11 days to get responses to my enquiries. Presumably if it is anything that requires actual interaction, it may take 2 or more weeks to sort out problems.

I don't give a shit. But it might be kinda hard on the students. They will be stuck whenever they encounter problems requiring help that I have not worked out how to give.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

dismalist

Quote from: downer on September 23, 2021, 02:52:32 PM
This school I work does not provide any help facility for its LMS. All enquiries have to go through the helpdesk of the LMS.

I submitted my request for help 11 days ago, and today I finally get a response. The response says "we see you sorted out the problem." Yeah, I did.

So it will generally take about 11 days to get responses to my enquiries. Presumably if it is anything that requires actual interaction, it may take 2 or more weeks to sort out problems.

I don't give a shit. But it might be kinda hard on the students. They will be stuck whenever they encounter problems requiring help that I have not worked out how to give.

Good practice for the students' future workplaces! :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Charlotte

Quote from: mamselle on September 22, 2021, 08:50:48 AM
Whoever is proffering medical advice without the proper credentials should be reported.

That's outside their remit and if allowed to continue could have serious consequences.

(I hope you didn't really cancel the appointment, etc.--that was just sarcasm, right?)

M.

I did keep the appointment. But I felt even more ridiculous for being there when admissions dismissed me as not actually needing the tests.

As Geneticist mentioned, it could be dangerous if someone took their advice. It could interact with their medications or harm them further. So it was a double whammy for me... they confirmed my belief that I was being ridiculous for getting the tests done and also offered potentially dangerous advice. I thought about reporting it, and I probably should, but I'm not sure how much it would help or if anyone would see it.

mamselle

Someone will see it.

They have to read and take those things seriously.

You could take the "I'm a bit confused, yesterday the health aide suggested phytochemicals to me as a good solution for....and I didn't remember our discussing that before...it seemed a bit unusual...." tack if you want to ease into it verbally, but in any case, someone should hand you a form to discuss it on, or take notes while you talk and write it up themselves.

But in all cases...

Report it.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

smallcleanrat

Finally got to go to my first physical therapy appointment since before the pandemic. Really need some help reducing pain and improving mobility in both legs. PT clinic was booked solid for months, so it's been a long wait. Nearly two years of painful limping and frequent falls; I'm more than ready to get some real help for this.

Well...apparently the physical therapist doesn't want to proceed until I can get my PCP to order an x-ray and an mri, because the level of immobility at the joints is beyond what would be expected without some kind of tissue injury/obstruction.

I've had multiple doctor visits for this and was repeatedly told the stiff, spasming muscles were "probably just from stress." No recommendations beyond some basic stretches and massaging the muscles. Probably should have had some type of scan ages ago. I'm really tired of not being taken seriously by medical professionals.

Charlotte, I have nothing but sympathy for the nonsense you had to go through when getting your medical tests.

I've left doctor visits sobbing, feeling utterly humiliated after being dismissed as someone taking up resources that are meant for people with real problems. I have a hard time now building up the courage to get any issue checked out because I don't want to be on the receiving end of any more rolled eyes, impatient sighs, or scoldings. I always come out of those encounters hating myself a lot.

mamselle

You now have ammo.

Take the PT opinion that the problems are beyond the usual stress-related ones and use it to push back to the MD with a request for ASAP scans based on the long wait times you've already endured.

Get the PT person on the phone and tell them you need a clinical opinion written up and emailed to the MD so you can follow up on this as soon s possible.

Your low self-esteem is lying to you about whether you "deserve" the resources you need, and so is everyone else who says, hints, or implies that.

Don't internalize your anger in hating yourself, get those folks who get paid the big bucks to do their job and stop treating you like a ping pong ball.

Become the paddle.

M.

Economizer

Just got a phone call. I quickly answered it because the words, in caps, "MEDICAL ALERT" flashed on my phone screen. The call was a commercial promotion. The caller had really poor English. Normally, I am driving in heavy, briskly moving, urban traffic, at this is time of day. SO, I AM PERTURBED OFF!
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

FishProf

Quote from: Economizer on September 28, 2021, 07:32:07 AM
Just got a phone call. I quickly answered it because the words, in caps, "MEDICAL ALERT" flashed on my phone screen. The call was a commercial promotion. The caller had really poor English. Normally, I am driving in heavy, briskly moving, urban traffic, at this is time of day. SO, I AM PERTURBED OFF!

I'm perturbed for you.  That should be reported (to whom I do not know).
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

paddington_bear

Paddington U just got a new president last year and one new admin (and a new HR person) this year. And a new head admissions person this summer. Recently, another admin announced they're leaving for another school, so at some point we're going to have to go through a search for that position. (And we still have a handful of interim admins.)  And our enrollment is still in decline. This isn't a real vent, I guess. I just feel like my university is a continuously listing boat and we're all going to sink (unless it rights itself). I have some admin experience, but not enough years for most of the ads I've seen. (And it seems like a lot of admin/director jobs are posted during the beginning of the academic year and want a Nov/Dec/Jan start. Can I leave a tenured position in between fall and spring semesters?)  Bleh.

mamselle

Oh, dear, oh, yuk, oh, no.

Maddening, I should imagine.

Do I remember that you directed a sub-departmental unit or small institute or something? (Is that the 'small amount of admin experience you're referring to?)

Can you find something like it in a bigger school? At least then you wouldn't be translating apples to kumquats, you'd just be working towards growing more apples.

Or maybe you just feel like making more applesauce...squish. Splat. Smash.

M.

paddington_bear

Quote from: mamselle on October 03, 2021, 01:43:02 PM
Oh, dear, oh, yuk, oh, no.

Maddening, I should imagine.

Do I remember that you directed a sub-departmental unit or small institute or something? (Is that the 'small amount of admin experience you're referring to?)

Can you find something like it in a bigger school? At least then you wouldn't be translating apples to kumquats, you'd just be working towards growing more apples.

Or maybe you just feel like making more applesauce...squish. Splat. Smash.

M.

Good memory! Yes, that's me. My university reconfigured the position that I had held, and it didn't serve my interests (or talents), so I went back to my full-time faculty position this year.  Many schools want at least 5 years doing X and I only had 2 years. But I'm still getting job notifications and I'm still looking.

Cheerful

Quote from: paddington_bear on October 03, 2021, 01:07:47 PM
I have some admin experience, but not enough years for most of the ads I've seen. (And it seems like a lot of admin/director jobs are posted during the beginning of the academic year and want a Nov/Dec/Jan start. Can I leave a tenured position in between fall and spring semesters?)  Bleh.

Quote from: paddington_bear on October 03, 2021, 01:48:55 PM
Many schools want at least 5 years doing X and I only had 2 years. But I'm still getting job notifications and I'm still looking.

There should be ways to negotiate a summer or fall start.  Years of experience listed in a mid-level admin job post can be a way to ensure the internal candidate gets the position.  Many (certainly not all) such admin job postings go to internal candidates.  Not all, so keep trying and good luck!