News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What Have You Read Lately?

Started by Parasaurolophus, June 21, 2023, 02:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

Bedford Village, by Hervey Allen.  Hervey Allen was a noted American historical novelist of the 1930s-1940s.  He was best known for Anthony Adverse.  Bedford Village is the second part of a trilogy set on the frontier during the mid-1700s.  The protagonist was taken captive by Shawnee warriors, "adopted" by those who murdered his family, escaped, and, in this installment, joins a band of vengeance-minded frontier militia who are prepared to be as vicious as their enemies.  Which they demonstrate in one brutal chapter in particular.

They're still considered the book's heroes.  A more recent take on the period would, of course, make them the villains, amping up their villainy while glossing completely over the no less horrible atrocities committed by their Native enemies.  Apart from a couple of incidents of appalling violence, this isn't an action thriller.  Mainly it portrays life in the frontier settlement of the title.  Like a good historical novel, it gives a vivid portrayal of life in a bygone age.  If only the characters and author hadn't devoted so many pages to half-baked philosophizing....

My copy of Bedford Village is an Armed Services Edition.  According to Manning's helpful appendix in "When Books Went to War," reviewed above, the edition was published in September of 1945, only a year or so after the original civilian hardcover.  Reading this is what prompted me to re-read Manning's book. 
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

hmaria1609

Finished from the library:
Murder Wears A Hidden Face by Rosemary Simpson
New and #8 in "A Gilded Age Mystery" series
New York, February 1891. Prudence and Geoffrey witness the murder of a prominent Chinese diplomat at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Their investigation takes them to Chinatown and learning about a culture unfamiliar to them. Finding the killer has international implications. Author's note follows the story.

Currently reading: These Feathered Flames by Alexandra Overy. The sequel and finale of the YA duet is This Cursed Crown. The duet has a Russian influence.

RatGuy

One of my friends likes to participate in Jolabokaflod and she's hinted that I'm gonna receive something by Jasper Fforde this holiday season.

apl68

Quote from: RatGuy on December 04, 2023, 03:35:03 PMOne of my friends likes to participate in
Quote from: RatGuy on December 04, 2023, 03:35:03 PMOne of my friends likes to participate in Jolabokaflod and she's hinted that I'm gonna receive something by Jasper Fforde this holiday season.
and she's hinted that I'm gonna receive something by Jasper Fforde this holiday season.

I read one of his "Tuesday Next" books.  Wild stuff.

I didn't know that there was a special Icelandic name for "giving books for Christmas."  It's just the normal thing in our family.  It's considered acceptable form among us to read them before you give them.  I've got less than two weeks to read my brother's Christmas present (which I bought right under his nose over the Thanksgiving holiday) before wrapping it and mailing it to him.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

FishProf

I just finished Stormbringer, Vol.2 of the Elric of Melnibone chronicles.  It included the only Elric novel from Michael Moorcock.  IF you want to see the origins of the Sword and Sorcery genre, this is an essential piece (along with the Conan books and the Lahnkmar (Fafhrd and Grey Mouser) books.

Fun reads, although a bit repetetive at times, and somewhat hard to follow when the time travel and multiverse plots lines get introduced.  The final novel was a satisfying end to the saga.

I have just begun Fool Moon, 2nd book in the Dresden files.  So far, it is already better than the debut novel.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

RatGuy

Quote from: apl68 on December 05, 2023, 07:22:30 AMI didn't know that there was a special Icelandic name for "giving books for Christmas."  It's just the normal thing in our family.  It's considered acceptable form among us to read them before you give them.  I've got less than two weeks to read my brother's Christmas present (which I bought right under his nose over the Thanksgiving holiday) before wrapping it and mailing it to him.

She calls it "rehoming"

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: apl68 on December 05, 2023, 07:22:30 AM
Quote from: RatGuy on December 04, 2023, 03:35:03 PMOne of my friends likes to participate in
Quote from: RatGuy on December 04, 2023, 03:35:03 PMOne of my friends likes to participate in Jolabokaflod and she's hinted that I'm gonna receive something by Jasper Fforde this holiday season.
and she's hinted that I'm gonna receive something by Jasper Fforde this holiday season.

I read one of his "Tuesday Next" books.  Wild stuff.

I didn't know that there was a special Icelandic name for "giving books for Christmas."  It's just the normal thing in our family.  It's considered acceptable form among us to read them before you give them.  I've got less than two weeks to read my brother's Christmas present (which I bought right under his nose over the Thanksgiving holiday) before wrapping it and mailing it to him.

Isn't the difference that, in Iceland, everyone is expected to start reading it immediately, so it becomes a group Christmas task?
I know it's a genus.

downer

Wellness, by Nathan Hill.

An Oprah Book Club pick, 600+ pages, well praised by literary luminaries. It's easy to see why -- it's both funny at times, and also is cultural analysis and critique. It has big themes. It's very clever.

I admired the book but also found it a bit tiresome. Overly long, self-indulgent, and ultimately rather conservative. I'm not sure whether the ending was heart-warming or sappy. I wasn't particularly convinced by the depiction of the traumatic events at the heart of the novel either.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

hmaria1609

Finished from the library: Annapolis, City on the Severn: A History by Jane W. McWilliams (NF)
Narrative history of Maryland's capital city with archival images and photos from 1650 to present day. I visited the city in Sept. and enjoyed walking through the historic district.

FishProf

Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.  It was a very amusing a fun tale of an Angel and Demon (fallen angel) working to subvert/avert the aopocalypse b/c they have grown fond of living in the human world (with their supernatural bens, natch).

Now I need to add the series based on it to my watch list.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

Puget

Quote from: FishProf on December 16, 2023, 03:23:06 PMGood Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.  It was a very amusing a fun tale of an Angel and Demon (fallen angel) working to subvert/avert the aopocalypse b/c they have grown fond of living in the human world (with their supernatural bens, natch).

Now I need to add the series based on it to my watch list.

It is very good! Season 1 basically follows the book, but season 2 is brand new material (written by Neil Gaiman). They are working on season 3 now.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

RatGuy

My friend gifted me Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl. Our tastes diverge in just about every category, so it'll be an interesting journey for me. It's one of her all-time favorites, and she's asked for periodic updates.

sinenomine

North Woods by Daniel Mason. I hadn't read any of his books before, but I loved this one — beautifully written, thought provoking, and very satisfying.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

Larimar

I started reading Agatha Christie's Death on the Nile this week while my car was having an oil change. I'd seen the movie, and liked it, but hadn't read any Christie novels until now. So far it's pretty good. I plan to take it with me to my annual mammogram appointment this afternoon.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Larimar on December 22, 2023, 09:22:50 AMI started reading Agatha Christie's Death on the Nile this week while my car was having an oil change. I'd seen the movie, and liked it, but hadn't read any Christie novels until now. So far it's pretty good. I plan to take it with me to my annual mammogram appointment this afternoon.

The David Suchet adaptation (for ITV) is fantastic. I can't stand the Branagh films, so if you liked it, I recommend that one instead!
I know it's a genus.