News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Mr and Mrs Trump rest positive for Covid-19

Started by engineer_adrift, October 01, 2020, 10:41:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on October 02, 2020, 08:52:10 AM
My strong sense is that this will not affect the election, except Trump won't have quite as many opportunities to delegitimize the process.

Maybe. The R's have been working hard to undermine the voting process in their favor, long before DJT was even the party standard-bearer. Now he has been a lot more rabid and noisy and open about it, to the (unfortunate) support and execution of this by his base and party allies.

He will still be tweeting, which gives the R's cover to keep up with their ghastly momentum.

Still, theoretically, he won't be publicly visible, which may weaken his grip on the media and public's imagination.

If he gets too sick to tweet, who will take over his account and ghost-tweet for him? Stephen Miller?

jimbogumbo

writingprof

Quote from: jimbogumbo on October 02, 2020, 11:05:10 AM
Sen. Mike Lee was at the Barrett announcement, and now this also: https://fox59.com/news/notre-dame-president-tests-positive-for-coronavirus/

Yes.  Schumer et al. are going to use it to try to delay the Barrett hearings.  If there's a God, they won't succeed.  So we'll know for sure one way or the other in a few weeks.

dismalist

Wasn't there a Senate floor vote when one Senator was brought in in a stretcher?
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

FishProf

Quote from: writingprof on October 02, 2020, 11:08:36 AM
Sen. Mike Lee was at the Barrett announcement, and now this also: https://fox59.com/news/notre-dame-president-tests-positive-for-coronavirus/

Yes.  Schumer et al. are going to use it to try to delay the Barrett hearings.  If there's a God, they won't succeed.  So we'll know for sure one way or the other in a few weeks.

If they achieve a delay = There is no god
If the Rs in the Senate majority get to apply their authority = GOD

I suspect your predictions don't follow from your hypothesis.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

jimbogumbo

Given the Senators' ages and the number who have been in contact with people currently infected the confirmation vote could be held up due to lack of a quorum.

engineer_adrift

Quote from: jimbogumbo on October 02, 2020, 11:34:01 AM

Given the Senators' ages and the number who have been in contact with people currently infected the confirmation vote could be held up due to lack of a quorum.

I think that only happens if the Democrats boycott.  A quorum in the Senate is 51.  EA
Hugs, E_A

AJ_Katz

In case you were wondering...

"For every 1,000 people in their mid-seventies or older who are infected, around 116 will die."

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02483-2

Ruralguy

Quorum isn't an issue, but if Republicans have too few to constitute a majority because of COVID, they'll, at least for now, delay the vote. They'll still want a vote after the election, which could get tricky.

Ruralguy

As noted earlier, quality and timing of intervention will probably help him more than age and weight hurt him. In either case, odds are in his favor.

jimbogumbo

Quote from: engineer_adrift on October 02, 2020, 11:44:30 AM
Quote from: jimbogumbo on October 02, 2020, 11:34:01 AM

I think that only happens if the Democrats boycott.  A quorum in the Senate is 51.  EA

That is in fact what I meant. Three ill R's and all it takes is for the D's not to attend.

And, I meant this seriously. Far too many old Senators are not taking this seriously, and have been in close proximity to people at the WH.

Ruralguy

Some are old, some are young, but it does look like a significant number have had, now have, or are likely to have COVID.

And, yup, I guess a few sick R's, and no D's is enough to close it, which is why they might be forced to try to delay it. Risky.

ciao_yall

Quote from: Ruralguy on October 02, 2020, 11:55:12 AM
Quorum isn't an issue, but if Republicans have too few to constitute a majority because of COVID, they'll, at least for now, delay the vote. They'll still want a vote after the election, which could get tricky.

(Too lazy to Google) can the quarantined Senators vote by distance or do they have to be on the floor?

Cheerful

President Trump going to Walter Reed Medical Center.

spork

Quote from: Cheerful on October 02, 2020, 02:19:53 PM
President Trump going to Walter Reed Medical Center.

An abundance of caution, folks! Nothing to see here! Keep moving along!
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.