Main Menu

The TV Series Thread

Started by ciao_yall, July 25, 2020, 11:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morden

We are Lady Parts--British sitcom about a punk band made up of Muslim women
Brassic--British sitcom about group of thieves in Northern England

fishbrains

We have not had independent confirmation of this, but I believe my son has now watched every episode of Emergency! (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency!) at least three times now. He is working through Adam-12 this summer.

Another unintended consequence of our refusing to pay for cable or streaming services.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

mamselle

I'm re-watching all of "Miranda" in order.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: ciao_yall on June 22, 2021, 07:07:20 AM
Two new shows in my queue, which meant upgrades to AMC+ and HBO Max...

Kevin Can F*** Himself with Annie Murphy from Schitt's Creek.

Hacks with Jean Smart and Hannah Einbinder

Enjoying these strong women-oriented shows.

My wife and I watched the first season of Hacks and enjoyed it very much.

I'll also recommend Mare of Easttown to you, since you have HBO and since it is another strong woman-oriented show.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: mamselle on June 22, 2021, 11:24:42 AM
I'm re-watching all of "Miranda" in order.

M.

This was a funny show.

mamselle

Yes.

Sweet-silly-slapstick in a tightly written, out-there acting world.

I just started Season 2 last night (allowing myself one every other night or so...)

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

secundem_artem

Came across a series on Netflix "Lupin".  Set in Paris (dubbed dialog) and inspired by the old Arsene Lupin stories.  An immigrant from Senegal sees his father wrongfully accused of a crime.
When he grows up, he adopts the persona of the gentleman criminal Arsene Lupin to right the wrongs done to his father.  The dubbing is atrocious, but if you can get passed that, it's quite an engaging series.  If the lead actor (Omar Sy) speaks English, he could give Idris Elba a run for his money.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

marshwiggle

Quote from: secundem_artem on July 07, 2021, 12:39:27 PM
Came across a series on Netflix "Lupin".  Set in Paris (dubbed dialog) and inspired by the old Arsene Lupin stories.  An immigrant from Senegal sees his father wrongfully accused of a crime.
When he grows up, he adopts the persona of the gentleman criminal Arsene Lupin to right the wrongs done to his father.  The dubbing is atrocious, but if you can get passed that, it's quite an engaging series. If the lead actor (Omar Sy) speaks English, he could give Idris Elba a run for his money.

We found it easier to watch in French with English subtitles, for this reason.
It takes so little to be above average.

mamselle

Finished Miranda.

Now re-watching all of "Lewis."

M.

ciao_yall

Hacks and Kevin (see upthread) are taking too long with new episodes, so I am filling in the blanks with...

30 Rock Can't believe I missed this the first time around! Missing the mid-aughts fashion.

One Mississippi And now I have a girl crush on Tig Notaro. Except she looks too old to be playing the character she is, but maybe it's because she had been ill? Anyway, trying to remember she is probably supposed to be 10 years younger than she is so the show makes more sense.

hmaria1609

Quote from: mamselle on July 07, 2021, 12:48:58 PM
Now re-watching all of "Lewis."
M.
Enjoy! It's incredible how long Kevin Whately played Robert "Robbie" Lewis over the years. Quite a number of well known British actors appeared during the show's 8 seasons. Our local PBS station ran the complete "Lewis" as part of Thriller Thursdays at one point.

Of interest, I found the "Inspector Lewis" page on the "Masterpiece" website:
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/shows/inspector-lewis/

Harlow2

The Unforgotten returns this Sunday on PBS and then Prime. Superb writing and acting  (UK; Nicola Walker and Sanjeev Bhaktar star). Haunting, multi-layered look at the excavation of memory and evasiveness as two detectives take on cold cases.

AmLitHist

Has anyone here watched Bosch on Amazon, and is it worth my time to commit to it?  I've seen passing references online and done a bit of very cursory searching about it.  I love old film noir from the '40s and modern network procedurals like the original NCIS and the two FBIs. I don't care for the Dick Wolfe NBC shows (Chicagos and Law & Orders).  Bosch seems like a mix of the straight procedural with the noir that I might like.  I don't really want to invest several hours just to walk away, though, if forumites can help with some reviews.

Other suggestions for shows that might fill the bill are also welcome. 

larryc

We dipped into Apple TV (you might have a free subscription if you bought an iPhone recently) and found to gems, which I am sure have been mentioned upthread:

1/ Ted Lasso is a cure for what is wrong with the world. Funny, smart and relentlessly positive. I have never seen anything like it. We binged the ten episodes of the first season and then binged them again.

2/ For All Mankind is an alternative history of the 20th-century space race, in which the Russians got to the moon first. It draws on all of the latest scholarship of NASA, so you have Operation Paperclip and Hidden Figures and the women Mercury astronauts, but everything goes in a different direction. In each episodes the the timeline diverges a bit more from our own (TV in the background: "Today the Equal Rights Amendment was signed into law by President Ted KEnnedy..."} and that part is a lot of fun. The series is the brain child or Ronald Moore, of the rebooted Battlestar Galactica fame.

secundem_artem

Quote from: AmLitHist on July 08, 2021, 10:46:02 AM
Has anyone here watched Bosch on Amazon, and is it worth my time to commit to it?  I've seen passing references online and done a bit of very cursory searching about it.  I love old film noir from the '40s and modern network procedurals like the original NCIS and the two FBIs. I don't care for the Dick Wolfe NBC shows (Chicagos and Law & Orders).  Bosch seems like a mix of the straight procedural with the noir that I might like.  I don't really want to invest several hours just to walk away, though, if forumites can help with some reviews.

Other suggestions for shows that might fill the bill are also welcome.

We loved Bosch - all 7 seasons.  Interesting characters, often solving moral dilemmas.  Not especially violent.  Titus Welliver is great as Bosch, Lance Reddick plays an interesting chief of police (is he a good guy or a bad guy?) and 2 older detectives - Crate and Barrel - are a hoot.  Lots of politicking mixed in with policing
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances