News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Classroom Victories

Started by eigen, May 17, 2019, 02:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onehappyunicorn

One of my students just won first place in a national photo competition, they are really stoked especially since they weren't accepted to the last couple of competitions they entered.
Another student just got word that they were accepted as an intern at a really nice arts residency for next summer. 

Puget

Congrats to your student onehappyunicorn!

My victory for today is that the students mostly have very nice reflections in their final "what did you learn in this class and how did it change how you think about the topic" forum posts, including this student who concludes:

"It surprised me how much I enjoyed psychology, and now have some regrets that I hadn't taken more psychology courses throughout my college career, as a first-semester fourth-year student. I came in with a desire to explore an interest I had forgotten for years, and I came out with the realization that knowledge is still here for me whenever I'm ready, no matter how long it takes."

"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

secundem_artem

Last class of the semester. They all thanked me on their way out the door.  If that's not a victory, I don't know what is.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

EdnaMode

This email was from a student who was taking a class meant for first-semester freshmen for a second time. He had admitted to me previously that the first time around he just couldn't make himself come to class and do the work, and was used to skating by and still passing by doing the minimum in high school, and learned that he couldn't do that in college.

Dr. Mode,

I deeply apologize for coming to class late this morning, I'm kicking myself for turning off my alarm and going back to sleep. Anyway, wanted to update you on my final project [omit project details]. I will be completing the final parts today and turning it in tomorrow.

Thank you for making this semester's learning meaningful. Your class was the only class I would get out of bed and not dread going to. I really appreciate the help you've given us this year.

Thank you, best wishes, see you at the final.

Stu
I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.

apl68

Congratulations on having at some level gotten through to a student learning some maturity, EdnaMode!
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

FishProf

I'm not sure this is a victory, but:

After grading a Final Practical Exam in a Human Biology course, the range was 13-82%.  The "low" high score is pretty typical in this type of exam.  The average, however, was in the mid-40%, which is a bit low.

Cue the wailing and gnashing of teeth.

This class is team taught and I just updated the blackboard gradebook to reflect the new grades and to make the final grade calculation reflect both the lecture and lab components.  Hmmm, the lecture and lab grades seem remarkably similar.

There is a weak positive correlation, and it is significant at p<0.05

Maybe the lab wasn't "SO MUCH HARDER" than the lecture half of the course.

Of course, they haven't taken the lecture final yet, so we shall see.

But, at present, I won't be losing sleep over being such a meanie.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

waterboy

I actually got a round of applause after the last class. I'm unsure if that was for my stellar performance or they were just that happy they didn't have to see me again.
"I know you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure that what you heard was not what I meant."

artalot

Just had a struggling student achieve a near-perfect score on the final, and they aced the hardest question on the final. I knew this student was actually pretty smart, just struggling in terms of time management and study skills. I hope this shows them how well they can do if they do the work. (I know it probably won't change anything, but let me live in optimism for the moment).

apl68

Quote from: artalot on December 14, 2022, 11:20:53 AM
Just had a struggling student achieve a near-perfect score on the final, and they aced the hardest question on the final. I knew this student was actually pretty smart, just struggling in terms of time management and study skills. I hope this shows them how well they can do if they do the work. (I know it probably won't change anything, but let me live in optimism for the moment).

Well, presumably the student had to learn something in order to do that well.  Any time a student does that, it's a victory for the teacher, right?  Congratulations!

Waterboy:  It was probably good-natured applause.  If they were happy about not seeing you again, they would have held the applause until you were gone.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Parasaurolophus

In their final paper, one of my intro students constructed a Gettier case for Descartes's "I am, I exist, whenever I put this forward."

I'm not sure it quite works, but it's a much-needed teaching victory nonetheless.
I know it's a genus.