News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Herd your cats here

Started by eigen, May 17, 2019, 02:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

mamselle

OOoh!

I've been to Keswick, and spent an afternoon along the lake avoiding the swans (who can be quite aggressive if they think you have sandwiches). We also visited the B. Potter House (from the outside, couldn't get in that day).

And...kitties? Trifecta. I'd go back in a heartbeat!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

OneMoreYear

Ricochet has been highly interactive all day. This afternoon, she made two lapsitting attempts and stayed for almost 10 minutes on the second one. This evening, she was super excited about a toy and was talking to us all evening. She apparently did not want us to throw the toy, just to acknowledge that she had the toy. But the best part has been tonight.  I've been stretched on the recliner finishing up some emails, and she flopped down next to my knees and sat next to me for an hour, lounging, bathing, and playing with a pen. She has never done that before. I'm hoping she'll try it again.

mamselle

Maybe it's kitty melting season?

The two I'm currently sitting for have progressed from hissing at me from the top of the stairs to (one) winding itself around my feet while I opened the cat food tins (maybe they think that speeds up the gears that open the tins?) and then letting me scritch its ears while it ate.

Then both returned to the living room, looked as if they MIGHT deign to join me on the sofa while I sipped my cocoa...then remembered,  apparently,  that I COULD STILL EAT THEM and ran back upstairs.

Still...progress.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

onehappyunicorn

https://imgur.com/gallery/JmfdFlX
Back on contract and not wanting to start my massive syllabus template editing project, so here are some of our cats that obviously lead hard lives...

OneMoreYear

Quote from: onehappyunicorn on August 03, 2022, 07:15:22 AM
https://imgur.com/gallery/JmfdFlX
Back on contract and not wanting to start my massive syllabus template editing project, so here are some of our cats that obviously lead hard lives...

You have a pile of fluffiness! They are seriously cute. I don't know how you could get any syllabus editing done when your cats need you to snuggle with them and/or admire their snuggliness.

Ricochet the squirrelly tortie appears to be closer to figuring out how to cat. Last Monday, she investigated whether it was safe to lay on the recliner at my knees. And she has decided it is safe! Over this last week, she has spent at least several hours per day curled up next to my legs on the recliner as I am doing course prep from home. I am allowed to briefly reach down and pet her and sometimes I get some purring. It only took 6 years. Ninja, her litter mate, figured out how to cuddle with humans pretty much from Day 1. Ricochet took her own path.

mamselle

It's been great to hear of R's progress.

Kudos to all of you.

M.

apl68

I've been coming back from occasional weekend visits to my parents' house with bad headaches that persist into the next day.  Monday it was bad enough that I took a half-day off sick.  We're beginning to suspect that I may be having a reaction to their cat, who is now full grown and presumably at maximum allergen output--the one thing that cats do better than anything else. 

I've always been allergic to cats.  That's why when we were growing up my brother's cats had to stay outside, while we kept a non-shedding dog for an indoor pet.  But my allergy has always manifested itself with breaking out on my skin, a bit of sneezing, and some eye discomfort.  I've had less trouble with it as an adult.  If this is something to do with the cat, it's different from my previous experiences.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

mamselle

What you say is possible--allergies manifest differently in different life cycle points...but it sounds more like a response to mold or a bacteria in the house that could be affecting your sinuses or eyes, leading to a headache.

Weather, rainfall, roof or groundfloor leaks or ventilating pipe infestations often get worse or sprout new bugs during a hot summer.

Might be worth asking your MD to refer you for a differential allergen test.

M.

evil_physics_witchcraft

My old man cat is acting out, or it's his arthritis. He decided to poop on one of their cat toys. It is circular pad with a ball that rolls around the outside and a scratch pad inside (except the scratch pad wore out a long time ago). He usually poops in the boxes and we scoop them often, so not sure what's going on (no obvious symptoms of illness either). He's also on an RX for crystals.

the_geneticist

Is it hard for old man kitty to get in the boxes?  Maybe one with a low clearance would be appreciated?
You didn't happen to move the litter box or change litter brands or anything else?  Pooping outside the box usually means kitty is feeling unhappy (medically or other reasons).

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: the_geneticist on August 08, 2022, 12:39:31 PM
Is it hard for old man kitty to get in the boxes?  Maybe one with a low clearance would be appreciated?
You didn't happen to move the litter box or change litter brands or anything else?  Pooping outside the box usually means kitty is feeling unhappy (medically or other reasons).

We're wondering if it's his arthritis. Most of the boxes are converted Rubbermaid HUGE storage containers (he's a Looooooooong cat) and have a low clearance, but maybe it needs to be lower. Haven't changed brands. He only did it once this past week, so I think we'll continue to monitor him (no other symptoms) and then maybe do his annual checkup early at the vet.

Edit: He may also be expressing his disdain for younger evil_cat, since it was on her toy. She drives him nuts and needs a wrestling partner (used to be our dog, but she passed a year and a half ago).

OneMoreYear

Ricochet is VERY focused on something under the couch.   Ninja, a known mouser, is not interested in the slightest. It is possible that Ricochet is chasing a Nargle, as she does spend time randomly staring at walls.  We shall see.

clean

When I first read this up post, I thought, "The cat is punishing someone!" 
Now we know the target of the punishment!!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

the_geneticist

Izzy the "now that she's two is no longer a kitten" has decided she LOVES the furminator brush. As long as she is unaware that a human is holding said brush.  Humans are scary, horrible creatures that might squish or eat her.  She permits petting when it's either full dark or the human is sitting in an armchair and mostly out of sight.