RIP: To remember those lost to us, whether close or at large

Started by mamselle, June 03, 2019, 05:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Istiblennius

Author Peter Straub.
Ghost Story is a high water mark of genuinely creepy and unsettling horror for me. One of the novels that fostered my life long love affair with the dark.

ab_grp

Quote from: Istiblennius on September 08, 2022, 08:59:59 AM
Author Peter Straub.
Ghost Story is a high water mark of genuinely creepy and unsettling horror for me. One of the novels that fostered my life long love affair with the dark.

I do not think I am familiar with his works, but I came across this tribute from his daughter (also a writer, looks like) the other day that I thought was very touching and made me want to learn more about him.  I ended up sending it to myself to follow up on but hadn't gotten a chance yet, so thanks for the reminder.  It's a great tribute with some personal memories that you might find interesting (beware: some language!): https://twitter.com/emmastraub/status/1567284488907939840

clean

"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Langue_doc

AmLitHist

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: clean on September 08, 2022, 10:34:24 AM
Queen Elizabeth Dead at 96 is the breaking news.

Ouch. I had hoped she'd last at least a few more years, not that it makes any practical difference. She looked a fair bit like my grandmother...

I guess that means a fair few changes over here.
I know it's a genus.

downer

While far from a monarchist, I still find myself sad at her passing. All my life she has been head of state. She was just a little younger than my father, but outlived him considerably. A tough old bird, gone now.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Wahoo Redux

Queen Elizabeth has always been there as long as I have been alive.  I find myself strangely sad and nostalgic, a lot like when Princess Diana died.

And R.I.P. Mr. Straub too.  I greatly admired his writing.

Peace to all the Queen's subjects in the British Isles. 

Peace to the Royal Family.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

hmaria1609

Saddened by the death of HM the Queen too.  :(

The virtual condolence book is available for those who wish to sign:
https://www.royal.uk/platinum-jubilee-central-weekend
Click on the tab on the right side of your screen to write your message.

I don't see anything on the UK Embassy Washington landing page at this time.

Here are two songs especially composed by Loretta Kay Feld for the Queen's Platinum Jubilee from YouTube:
The Queen's Soliloquy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEIZT92kamQ

"70 Years a Queen"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYeO3NsyRLc
Both released June 1st

kaysixteen

what changes do you anticipate for Canada, owing to her death?

marshwiggle

Quote from: kaysixteen on September 08, 2022, 11:16:11 PM

Getting tripped up by the words when singing "God Save The Queen King".
It takes so little to be above average.

Parasaurolophus

The money will all be retired and re-issued, though that may well take years. The direction of the face, in particular, will switch.

More substantively, this will provide the occasion for reconsideration of our adherence to the monarchy. We might well end up divesting ourselves of them entirely, in a few years (or not; the status quo is a powerful thing). We'll see. Charles remains pretty unpopular.
I know it's a genus.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on September 09, 2022, 11:27:14 AM

The money will all be retired and re-issued, though that may well take years. The direction of the face, in particular, will switch.

More substantively, this will provide the occasion for reconsideration of our adherence to the monarchy. We might well end up divesting ourselves of them entirely, in a few years (or not; the status quo is a powerful thing). We'll see. Charles remains pretty unpopular.

Well, looking at the neighbours, who got rid of the monarchy a couple of centuries ago, it's hardly like they're all so content with their system of government without all of that. (And of course, they add a bunch of the pomp and circumstance to their elected leader that countries with a monarchy don't typically assign to anyone who is, at the end of the day, just another politician.)
It takes so little to be above average.

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.