Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Good Friday/ Easter/ Pass Over plans 2020 in CV19 World

Started by clean, April 08, 2020, 05:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on April 10, 2020, 08:38:37 AM
I demand an easter egg hunt.

Our big community-wide Easter egg hunt was a casualty of the epidemic, of course.  I'm sure a lot of families will be going ahead with their home Easter egg hunts, at least.  The egg supply at our local grocery store seemed to be adequate earlier this week.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

apl68

Quote from: marshwiggle on April 10, 2020, 03:31:07 AM
Quote from: mamselle on April 09, 2020, 06:54:29 PM
The priest can consecrate, they just can't be distributed.

M.

So can individuals at home use their own elements, like in Protestant congregations, or do they just observe the priest?

Historical side note: In rural Quebec, isolated communities would have a container called a tabernacle in which the priest would place consecrated elements when he visited, so that they could still have Mass until the next time that he came.

I'm from a tradition where Communion ("The Lord's Supper") is treated as an occasional special service in itself, rather than an essential part of other services and celebrations.  For us it's not a sacrament.  I'd never thought about how awkward quarantine measures would make sacramental celebrations.  I'm sure the churches that have such practices developed work-arounds a long time ago.  This isn't their first pandemic rodeo.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

clean

https://www.kulr8.com/top_story/gov-bullock-deems-easter-bunny-tooth-fairy-essential/article_3bc52c88-7ab6-11ea-a950-6350206eb927.html

For all those concerned about about the Easter Bunny's travel plans and whether his offices and factories were shut down for Social Distancing.  The ruling in MT (and Im sure applicable in all jurisdictions) is that The Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy and 'other magical creatures' have been deemed ESSENTIAL.  Please note the restrictions, though:

"The directive puts in place the following measures, effective immediately, and for the duration of the emergency:
Magical entities, including but not limited to the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy, may freely travel into and through Montana to perform services essential to Montanans.
Magical entities must leave behind a gift—for example, eggs, chocolates, or the fair market value of a baby tooth—at every home they visit, and must follow social distancing guidelines.
This Directive does not modify, abridge, or limit the effect of any other statute or administrative rule regulating magical entities."
(emphasis added, but this may relieve the concerns of some youngins you may have in your household).
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: apl68 on April 10, 2020, 08:46:31 AM

Our big community-wide Easter egg hunt was a casualty of the epidemic, of course.  I'm sure a lot of families will be going ahead with their home Easter egg hunts, at least.  The egg supply at our local grocery store seemed to be adequate earlier this week.

I think I purchased more of the crappy chocolate eggs than I ever have, this year. (Crappy as in: Carnaby is gross, I prefer the 'great value' brand or equivalent.) Which is good, because I love them so much, and never have enough.

I've also probably already eaten far more than I ever do. It's a little alarming.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

spork

Question for the religion and culture experts: does this reflect a sympathetic magic practice from Black Death-era Europe? Or does it depict a tradition associated with Easter or Mardi Gras?

The Parade.

It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Caracal

Quote from: spork on April 12, 2020, 05:57:14 AM
Question for the religion and culture experts: does this reflect a sympathetic magic practice from Black Death-era Europe? Or does it depict a tradition associated with Easter or Mardi Gras?

The Parade.

This is just based on some googling, but it looks like someone has made a sort of model and figures representing  a Bolivian catholic festival called La Fiesta del Gran Poder, but with topical figures for Covid. I couldn't find anything about it normally being particularly about disease or illness. It appears to be something that started in the 20th century and is connected to a painting that is a few hundred years years older, with a mestizo Jesus. Apparently the painting has been associated with miracles. The festival is apparently in May and June.

clean

Did the Easter Bunny make his visits?

Any reports on how the CV19 changed the festivities this year?  (were eggs hidden and searched for as usual?)
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Puget

Did two Zoom seders (or zeders as they've become known) plus a drop-in social visit to a third. Not the same, but better then nothing. My parents and I even cooked the same dishes so we could have dinner "together". Lots of resonant themes for the times-- plagues, narrow places, things getting worse before they get better.  How is this night different from all other nights indeed.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes