News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Blocking/ignore feature

Started by adel9216, April 28, 2020, 06:39:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adel9216

Hello,

How do I block a user from contacting me? I also want to ignore their responses.

Thanks,

Caracal

Quote from: adel9216 on April 28, 2020, 06:39:43 AM
Hello,

How do I block a user from contacting me? I also want to ignore their responses.

Thanks,

I don't think you can actually keep someone from responding to your posts, but you can go to your profile settings and you'll see a buddies/ignore menu. If you put a username in there you won't see anything that person writes, unless somebody else quotes it.

polly_mer

Certain methods of reading will still allow one to encounter the posts.  For example, browsing by recent posts is just full-text posts by everyone, regardless of what's on your list.  I'm also told that one will see that a post has occurred from ignored users, but the post will have text like "(You have this user ignored) ".

You can block users from sending you personal messages through your profile.

This is a public forum so you cannot block anyone from seeing your post and responding, despite requests from people to have such a feature.

Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

marshwiggle

Quote from: polly_mer on April 28, 2020, 08:03:27 AM
Certain methods of reading will still allow one to encounter the posts.  For example, browsing by recent posts is just full-text posts by everyone, regardless of what's on your list.  I'm also told that one will see that a post has occurred from ignored users, but the post will have text like "(You have this user ignored) ".

You can block users from sending you personal messages through your profile.

This is a public forum so you cannot block anyone from seeing your post and responding, despite requests from people to have such a feature.

If you could it would make for a very surreal experience, as threads would become very disjointed since not everyone would be seeing the same posts and responses.
It takes so little to be above average.

adel9216

It seems like I can't block the person I want to block, because she is a moderator.

Caracal

Quote from: adel9216 on April 28, 2020, 08:37:28 AM
It seems like I can't block the person I want to block, because she is a moderator.

No, you can make anyone's posts invisible.

polly_mer

Quote from: Caracal on April 28, 2020, 09:26:10 AM

Caracal is correct.  I just tested on eigen who has all the privileges and the post I viewed indicated "You are ignoring this user." with a hyperlink to show that post.  The text is gone, but the fact of the post is still there.

If by "block", you mean "make it so that she can't see my posts" or "make it so she cannot respond", yes, that's going to fail because blocks only work on what you can see, not what others can see.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

mahagonny

Quote from: adel9216 on April 28, 2020, 06:39:43 AM
Hello,

Thanks,

I would also have liked this option. But I don't expect it. You see, the 'trolling' or contamination of your discussion with toxicity is always possible unless you can block certain readers from reading you. This is not Facebook. C'est la vie.

adel9216

How?

It's not like i am going to spend a whole lot of time here, because I've got stuff to do, but just for the future harassment that I am expecting to have anytime I post here, that would be great.

marshwiggle

Quote from: adel9216 on April 28, 2020, 10:17:56 AM

How?

It's not like i am going to spend a whole lot of time here, because I've got stuff to do, but just for the future harassment that I am expecting to have anytime I post here, that would be great.

I've had lots of people disagree with me, sometimes vehemently, but I wouldn't remotely call that "harassment". I'd reserve a term like that for things like doxxing, which I've never heard the slighest hint of here.

adel9216

Quote from: marshwiggle on April 28, 2020, 10:22:58 AM

How?

I've had lots of people disagree with me, sometimes vehemently, but I wouldn't remotely call that "harassment". I'd reserve a term like that for things like doxxing, which I've never heard the slighest hint of here.

I do know the definition of harassment, and doxxing is not the sole thing that may be considered as harassment.

It's more than just having a strong disagreement with someone.

marshwiggle

Quote from: adel9216 on April 28, 2020, 10:23:29 AM

How?

I do know the definition of harassment, and doxxing is not the sole thing that may be considered as harassment.

I've had people tell me I have no idea what I'm talking about, call me a troll, and question whether I tell the truth about my situation. All of those may count as unpleasant, or even rude, but unless soemone started following up ALL of my posts with a derogatory comment or something like that, it wouldn't be "harassment" since it would be easy to avoid if I chose to.

adel9216

Quote from: marshwiggle on April 28, 2020, 10:34:01 AM

How?

I've had people tell me I have no idea what I'm talking about, call me a troll, and question whether I tell the truth about my situation. All of those may count as unpleasant, or even rude, but unless soemone started following up ALL of my posts with a derogatory comment or something like that, it wouldn't be "harassment" since it would be easy to avoid if I chose to.

The fact that you could easily avoid it, doesn't mean that it's not harassment.

Anytime someone tries to contact someone else when they've clearly told you multiple times to stop contacting them, either privately or in public, could fall into harassment. I've seen people get arrested with that definition, and even if it was solely on the Internet, and even if the messages were non-threatning.

adel9216

And yes, it's been almost all my posts since I have been here.

Parasaurolophus

Yes.

Harassment--including online harassment--is much broader than just doxxing. While most of the things I'd count as harassing activities clearly don't take place here (thankfully!), trolling and dogpiling (I don't think I've seen any dogpiling here, but I remember it from the old forum) can shade into it, especially when pre-existing grudges perpetuate inter-threadually. And that's worth watching out for here, especially with respect to certain bugaboo issues and member animosities. And also why we have the ignore/invisible functions.
I know it's a genus.