Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Quote from: jimbogumbo on June 01, 2022, 09:06:27 AM
Quote from: mamselle on June 01, 2022, 07:27:54 AM
De gustibus.

M.

Et tu?

Sorry, I'm...puzzled.

Are you saying there's not a chasmic, cosmic different between musical tastes and lethal societal pseudo-'values'?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

jimbogumbo

Quote from: mamselle on June 01, 2022, 01:50:28 PM
Quote from: jimbogumbo on June 01, 2022, 09:06:27 AM
Quote from: mamselle on June 01, 2022, 07:27:54 AM
De gustibus.

M.

Et tu?

Sorry, I'm...puzzled.

Are you saying there's not a chasmic, cosmic different between musical tastes and lethal societal pseudo-'values'?

M.

Sorry, guess I misunderstood. This was my poor attempt at humor, thinking you meant you were joining in with Wahoo. In this case, joking that there was no accounting for my taste in music.

jim

mamselle

Got it, no!

I meant it in the sense of being open to others' taste in music, generally.

Given that I'm currently working with a middle-schooler on analyzing music written for computer games, I'd say my tastes were more eclectic than anything....

;--}

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

paultuttle

I was lucky enough to see a red fox in my neighborhood a couple of weeks ago while on my morning walk. It looked both ways before negotiating a roundabout.

I thought it was a good bit smarter than some of the drivers I've also seen negotiating that particular roundabout, since it went the correct way around (anti-clockwise) and then took off straight down the next road.

jimbogumbo

Compliments to a bunch of you. You have WAY more patience than I.

lightning

I was following along with well wishes and envy, but the new discussion has me perplexed and questioning if everything has been made up.

Parasaurolophus

Your patent untruth has a hard time looking Wisconsin's lame-duck curtailments of gubernatorial power in the eye.

Among other things.
I know it's a genus.

downer

I recently heard about an FT professor who for many years commuted between Oxford and Long Island. I guess it required some flexibility on the part of their students and colleagues.

I know another professor who commutes between Virginia and Manhattan. I heard something about them sometimes sleeping in their office.

But neither are dept chairs.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

jimbogumbo

lightning

Quote from: downer on August 02, 2022, 08:30:17 AM
I recently heard about an FT professor who for many years commuted between Oxford and Long Island. I guess it required some flexibility on the part of their students and colleagues.

I know another professor who commutes between Virginia and Manhattan. I heard something about them sometimes sleeping in their office.

But neither are dept chairs.

If the commute is from Northern Virginia (DC suburbs), it's doable by train, because you can sleep on the train. The Washington Flyer drops you off in Manhattan, and they have departures bound for Virginia in the very late evening. I know a former faculty colleague who did the commute in reverse. Yes, he used to sleep in his office, especially after hours--he scheduled office hours after lunch and it was rare for students to actually show up to office hours. His office was in the quiet basement and didn't have a window, and he liked it that way.

jimbogumbo

It's not hard to find how WTA ranking points are determined. It's VERY weighted toward being a Grand Slam winner or Finalist: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WTA_rankings

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

mamselle

An echo chamber in a hall of mirrors.

Sartrean.

M.

paddington_bear

A weird thing happened to me yesterday and I'm soliciting people for their opinions. Pretend this is ABC's "What Would You Do?" or some etiquette column online.

About a week or so ago I ordered a purse online and it was supposed to come with four little "mini bags" (think make-up bags, etc.). The purse came on Tuesday, but no additional items. I emailed the company (it's a national company) to let them know. I took pictures to "prove" that I didn't receive the items and they said, "Sorry, we'll send them out!"

You see where this is going....Yesterday, not only did the additional missing items come, but I got an additional bag!  So I ordered 1 bag + 4 things and now I have 2 bags + 4 things. And I think 4 more things are coming. So.....What would you do?  Email the company and say, "Hey, you don't need to send out the 4 items and how do I send back the extra bag?" Would you keep everything?

AvidReader

This happened to me last year with a small piece of technology (and accessories).  I emailed the company. They let me keep both; if they had wanted one returned, I would have expected a prepaid label/box or a place where I could drop it easily and for free.

AR.