News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Ending Statements with "Don't you think?"

Started by financeguy, July 23, 2020, 08:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

financeguy

I've noticed someone I talk to somewhat frequently ending almost all sentences with "Don't you think?" or "Right?," sometimes beginning or ending with "Wouldn't you say?" or "Wouldn't you agree?" I don't think the person is doing something that's an objective "wrong" like interrupting or something that's more of a black and white rude behavior, but I've gotta say this is starting to annoy the heck out of me, to the point I no longer want to deal with the person. I've tried simply stating my opinion rather than any response to the question, but this hasn't stopped it. I'm debating just significantly limiting my interaction entirely or addressing the issue. Thoughts? Would you bring this up or let it be?

dismalist

This moronic stuff is getting so widespread, it's best to just leave it. Say nothing in response.

Right? :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

mahagonny

For annoying, how about they guy who agrees with a FB post by posting 'Amen.'

polly_mer

I agree it's annoying for an adult to do this.

I give you permission to limit interactions with this person to the bare minimum required to do your job or keep family peace.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

marshwiggle

I blame social media for this obsession; the whole emphasis on "liking" posts, pictures, etc. has created a generation desperate for approval of everything they think, say, and do.

Sadly, MYOB has become completely foreign not only as a statement, but as a concept.
It takes so little to be above average.

downer

I hate it when people include the phrase "Think about it" in their dialog. It implies that they have thought about the issue and I have not. But most of the time it is just a way for them to justify trying to advocate for some half-baked theory they have.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Caracal

Quote from: financeguy on July 23, 2020, 08:03:57 PM
I've noticed someone I talk to somewhat frequently ending almost all sentences with "Don't you think?" or "Right?," sometimes beginning or ending with "Wouldn't you say?" or "Wouldn't you agree?" I don't think the person is doing something that's an objective "wrong" like interrupting or something that's more of a black and white rude behavior, but I've gotta say this is starting to annoy the heck out of me, to the point I no longer want to deal with the person. I've tried simply stating my opinion rather than any response to the question, but this hasn't stopped it. I'm debating just significantly limiting my interaction entirely or addressing the issue. Thoughts? Would you bring this up or let it be?
Is this person annoying in other ways? I can't imagine  this would annoy you so much if other things about them weren't driving you crazy.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Caracal on July 24, 2020, 06:01:24 AM
Is this person annoying in other ways? I can't imagine  this would annoy you so much if other things about them weren't driving you crazy.

This kind of behaviour makes every statement a potential argument. There are only three options:

• Agree
  • Argue
  • Say nothing

It's wearisome to deal with someone who operates this way. (And someone who operates this way basically has an opinion on everything, so every interaction requires the other person to either explicitly or implicitly agree, or else have to defend their own position.)

The very idea that people essentially have to agree on everything to be friends is tiresome and oppressive.

So that, by itself, could drive a person crazy.

It takes so little to be above average.

mahagonny

Quote from: Caracal on July 24, 2020, 06:01:24 AM

I think I know the answer to that one.

Quote from: marshwiggle on July 24, 2020, 05:21:26 AM
I blame social media for this obsession; the whole emphasis on "liking" posts, pictures, etc. has created a generation desperate for approval of everything they think, say, and do.

Sadly, MYOB has become completely foreign not only as a statement, but as a concept.

Yes, and the polarized (or maybe tribal) lay of the land nowadays means people are beating the bushes for allies. And I think news outlets are focussing on what types of news irritate a particular group so they will get energized and keep coming back, adding to the polarization.

writingprof

I don't think the person is doing something that's an objective "wrong" like interrupting or something that's more of a black and white rude behavior.

Speed-reading this, I thought for a horrible moment that you were making this about race.  Thank you for not doing so.

apl68

It may simply be one of those verbal habits that people slip into without realizing it.  This person could use somebody to point it out in a friendly and constructive manner.  I've benefited from that sort of intervention before.  However, the OP may not be close enough to the one with the habit to do this.  In which case there may not be much to do but grin and bear it, and hope that somebody the "don't you think" person trusts can intervene.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mahagonny

Quote from: writingprof on July 24, 2020, 06:57:07 AM
I don't think the person is doing something that's an objective "wrong" like interrupting or something that's more of a black and white rude behavior.

Speed-reading this, I thought for a horrible moment that you were making this about race.  Thank you for not doing so.

You'll know it's about race when Black is capitalized and white is not.

fourhats

I'd like to hear from Mamselle on this, but I suspect it is of longer standing, and comes from other languages. The French use "n'est-ce pas" and "d'accord" at the ends of sentences, and the Italians do too. Doesn't bother me at all.

Ruralguy

1. First, if its someone from a culture that has this more or less in their language anyway, then forget about it.

2. If its someone who grew up in US to non-immigrant parents, I still wouldn't make a hug deal about it. I think maybe some here are being too harsh. Depending on who it is, and how much you want to express disagreement, if you disagree, then just say so.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: fourhats on July 24, 2020, 08:28:39 AM
I'd like to hear from Mamselle on this, but I suspect it is of longer standing, and comes from other languages. The French use "n'est-ce pas" and "d'accord" at the ends of sentences, and the Italians do too. Doesn't bother me at all.

It's not common to use 'n'est-ce pas' or 'd'accord' incessantly, though. Just like Canadians don't commonly add 'eh?' to every sentence, or even most sentences. But I think you're right: it sounds like they're just tag questions, and probably derived from tag question use in another language. No biggie.

I know it's a genus.