News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The TV Series Thread

Started by ciao_yall, July 25, 2020, 11:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaysixteen

As I recall, the new NBC 'Peacock' streaming service, which already shows both the 70s Galactica original and the 00s reboot, is also supposed to be having an all-new second reboot of the show?  Anyone seen it yet, or have info on it?

Larimar

Quote from: mamselle on July 25, 2020, 06:16:26 PM
All BBC, all the way.

M.

Yeah, BBC has some great stuff. Thumbs up for Pie in the Sky, Atlantis, and Merlin. Wish these were still on the air.

Larimar

mamselle

Quote from: Larimar on July 26, 2020, 07:47:44 AM
Quote from: mamselle on July 25, 2020, 06:16:26 PM
All BBC, all the way.

M.

Yeah, BBC has some great stuff. Thumbs up for Pie in the Sky, Atlantis, and Merlin. Wish these were still on the air.

Larimar

A lot of their good stuff is on YouTube, too.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

AmLitHist

The Americans and Pure were two of my favorites in recent years.  (I don't know who has Pure streaming--while it was on-air, they used to have full episodes on WGNAmerica online. It ended way too soon after just two seasons.)

For old stuff, I've been working through the 5 seasons of the Dick Van Dyke Show, after Carl Reiner's passing.  I was a baby when it was on t.v. originally, but my sister (10 years older) loved the show, and I remember watching the reruns on a local station when I was a kid. I remember a few, but most are new to me. Some of the language and attitudes are dated, and it's a sitcom, so of course the set-ups are sometimes way over the top, but overall, the comedy holds up really well. I haven't made it through an episode yet without laughing out loud at least a couple of times.

cathwen

I'm taking note of all these recommendations, as it looks as if we'll be mostly at home for a very long time!  Here are some of mine:

My husband and I enjoyed all three seasons of The Detectorists (we had to pay for the third, but it was well worth it!).  The characters are quirky and charming in the way that one only seems to see on British shows.  The two main characters spend all their free time metal detecting...

We also worked our way through All Creatures Great and Small, which we saw when it first aired; it has not lost its appeal.

Recently, we finished watching The Good Place, which is one of the funniest shows we've seen in a long time.

Last fall, I watched Professor T. on Amazon, and enjoyed not only the very quirky characters, but also listening to the Flemish and relating it to my paltry German.  I looked for other shows in Dutch/Flemish and watched Nieuw Texas, which was funny, but little slap-stickier than I usually like.

Currently, we have started Parks and Recreation, which neither of us saw when it was on network TV. 

I've been watching a couple of Danish shows--on MHz Choice, The New Nurses (set in the early 1950s, when men were first admitted to Danish nursing schools), and on PBS Seaside Hotel.  I think both are quite good.

downer

The MHz Choice service looks interesting. Does it have no ads once you pay the monthly subscription?

Seems like some of the shows on it are also available on other services. (e.g. A French Village is available through Amazon.) Any idea how it compares to other services?
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

nonsensical

I really like One Day At A Time. It seems similar to Schitt's Creek in some ways (both are family shows, to me). I'm thinking especially of the Netflix version, which I've seen all the way through. I've been watching the original as well, though more slowly. It's also good, but doesn't grab me quite like the Netflix remake does.

Call the Midwife is another heartwarming show that's kind of about family (if you define family broadly - the nurses and midwives seem kind of like a family to me).

I also like Nurse Jackie, but it might not be a great recommendation for now if you're looking for lighter things. Nurse Jackie is about addiction and is a darker show than the other ones I'm recommending here.

I also re-iterate the recommendation for The Good Place, which is excellent in every way.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: cathwen on July 26, 2020, 09:54:45 AM

My husband and I enjoyed all three seasons of The Detectorists (we had to pay for the third, but it was well worth it!).  The characters are quirky and charming in the way that one only seems to see on British shows.  The two main characters spend all their free time metal detecting...

It's just lovely!
I know it's a genus.

polly_mer

Did The Good Place get better after the first several episodes?  I stopped watching when it was airing the first time because it was just so bad.  I didn't even make it through the first season.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

cathwen

Quote from: downer on July 26, 2020, 10:00:31 AM
The MHz Choice service looks interesting. Does it have no ads once you pay the monthly subscription?

Seems like some of the shows on it are also available on other services. (e.g. A French Village is available through Amazon.) Any idea how it compares to other services?

MHz Choice does run shows without ads.  And yes, some of the shows (but not all) are also available on Amazon.  I'm not sure how it compares to other services, except for offering shows from a number of European countries.  BritBox is limited to British shows, as is Acorn. 

hmaria1609

Several years ago, I bought the complete Nicholas le Floch binge set from MHZ Choice Shop. The show is based on the eponymous novels by Jean-François Parot. (Some of the novels in the series have been translated into English) I'd seen a few episodes on TV at one point. It's a well-done historical mystery series.
Another short lived series on MHZ was Anno 1790--it's a police procedural set in 1790 Sweden.

ergative

Quote from: polly_mer on July 26, 2020, 12:35:14 PM
Did The Good Place get better after the first several episodes?  I stopped watching when it was airing the first time because it was just so bad.  I didn't even make it through the first season.

The Good Place remains very consistent throughout its run. If you've watched several episodes of the first season and don't like it, then it's probably not for you.

spork

If you like historical dramas, Chinese wuxia fantasies, or hot-white-guy-travels-to-exotic-land-and-meets-babes romances, I'll throw out Netflix's Marco Polo. Stellar international cast. High production value. Unfortunately Netflix canceled it after only two seasons because it cost so much.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

evil_physics_witchcraft

My suggestions, off the top of my head, (some are 'antenna/dumb' (D) tv and some are Netflix (N), Hulu (H) or Prime (P)):

The Twilight Zone (D)
Alfred Hitchcock Presents (D)
The Night Gallery (H) & (P)
Star Trek (the original) (D), (H), (N) & (P)
Dr. Who (P)
Lucifer (N)
Good Omens (P)
The Durrells in Corfu (D) & ?
Two Broke Girls (D)
The Tick (P)
Future Man (H)
Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (H)
Lost in Space (the original) (D)
The Carol Burnett Show (D) & (P)
The Flash (D) & (N)
Arrow (D) & (N)
Shaun the Sheep (P)
The Hollow (N)
Monk (P)
The Good Place (H)
Upload (P)
Futurama (H)
Bojack Horseman (N)
Schitt's Creek (N)
Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts (N)
Cowboy Beebop (H)
Supernatural (N)
Superstore (H)
Eureka (P)
The Umbrella Academy (N)

sprout

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on July 30, 2020, 02:09:54 PM
My suggestions, off the top of my head, (some are 'antenna/dumb' (D) tv and some are Netflix (N), Hulu (H) or Prime (P)):

The Twilight Zone (D)

Twilight Zone is on both Netflix and Hulu (not sure about Prime).  But Netflix does not have season 4.  I assume there's some licensing weirdness.