Main Menu

The TV Series Thread

Started by ciao_yall, July 25, 2020, 11:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

nonsensical

Quote from: ciao_yall on December 23, 2020, 08:58:49 AM
Quote from: nonsensical on December 05, 2020, 01:57:01 PM
We've been watching The Office - started in March and just finished the last episode now, so it's basically been keeping us company during COVID, and it's a bit weird to think about the continuation of COVID nonsense without the ability to relax with The Office and forget about disease for a bit. I'm very glad that we got to it before it leaves Netflix in a few months.

Have you seen the article in The New Yorker about the recent reboom in interest in the show?

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/12/14/why-do-we-still-love-the-office

I hadn't seen it before but just took a look now. It was interesting, thank you for sharing!

Langue_doc

The SYFY channel has been doing a two or three-day marathon of the Twilight Zone starting on New Year's Eve for several years now. This series used to be free on Amazon Prime, but not anymore.

The marathon starts at 2 AM tomorrow night. Enjoy! https://www.syfy.com/schedule

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Langue_doc on December 29, 2020, 06:52:46 PM
The SYFY channel has been doing a two or three-day marathon of the Twilight Zone starting on New Year's Eve for several years now. This series used to be free on Amazon Prime, but not anymore.

The marathon starts at 2 AM tomorrow night. Enjoy! https://www.syfy.com/schedule

Yay! We are old school over here and watch channels that we can see on our tv with the convertor box. The Twilight Zone is one of those shows we can see over the air. Old tech. We don't even have a smart tv. I guess I'm just resistant to spending money. As long as it still works, then I'll use it! :)

Well, we also have Netflix, Hulu and Prime, so....

We plan to watch the next season of the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina which starts on New Year's Eve!

ab_grp

We finished Parks and Recreation (which I just realized is its actual title... I thought it was Parks & Rec).  The seasons/episodes I had seen previously were just as great as before, and we both enjoyed the ones we hadn't watched.  Some of the final season episodes were really the highlight, I think.  Seems like they went all out.

We just started Eureka last night.  Neither of us had seen it before, and I was trying to recall where I had even heard of it.  Naturally, it was in this thread! Thanks for the recommendations.  It looks like evil_physics_witchcraft and Ratguy both suggested it.  We've only watched 3.5 episodes, but I agree that it is pretty charming, and we are enjoying it.  Speaking of Charming, I also have Once Upon a Time on tap for after this series.  We are also still watching Killjoys, which has improved and gotten its footing.  There are some annoying characters and iffy storylines, but it's pretty entertaining overall. 

Descartes

cathwen

My husband and I have been binge-watching Better Call Saul, which we like as much as Breaking Bad

Sun_Worshiper

I watched the newest season of Cobra Kai. Last week. I was never a big fan of the Karate Kid (a little before my time), but big fan of this show.

Quote from: cathwen on January 11, 2021, 02:24:08 PM
My husband and I have been binge-watching Better Call Saul, which we like as much as Breaking Bad.

Great show. I can't wait for season 5 to get to Netflix.

hmaria1609

The new adaptation of All Creatures Great and Small premiered on PBS last night:
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/shows/all-creatures-great-and-small/
It was a delightful watch! The original series is available on DVD, however, it wasn't part of the "Masterpiece Theatre" brand. (If you happen to own the original series on DVD, the "Masterpiece" logo isn't on it) I haven't seen the original; my library has copies of it on DVD.

Someone posted about watching "Sex & the City" not too long ago.  And just like that, there's a reboot of the show on the way for HBO!  Of the gang, Kim Cattrall won't be reprising her role as Samantha Jones.

mamselle

I was just about to post and say I don't think I can transition over from the original ACG&S version, especially the ones with the first Helen.

I'll probably just watch all the old ones all over again.

It would feel...disloyal...somehow...

;--}

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

cathwen

We have recorded All Creatures Great and Small but haven't had a chance to watch it yet.  I'm dying to see it.  I've seen the trailers, and of all the characters, I think that the new, younger Mrs. Hall will be hard to get used to.  The actor who plays Tristan was in The Durells in Corfu. It's a similar kind of role—the slightly less responsible/unsettled younger brother.

mamselle

Ah, but who can match the young, gangly, wild-eyed Peter Davison?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ab_grp

Sex and the City was surprisingly entertaining for me.  A friend let me borrow the first seasons of that and The Sopranos, and I wasn't sure I'd get into either of them but ended up enthralled with both.  There were a lot of issues with Kim Cattrall and other cast members, so I'm not surprised she won't be taking up her role again.  Definitely looking forward to Better Call Saul once it wraps up.  And I have heard great things about Cobra Kai!

ciao_yall

Quote from: ab_grp on January 12, 2021, 09:14:21 AM
Sex and the City was surprisingly entertaining for me.  A friend let me borrow the first seasons of that and The Sopranos, and I wasn't sure I'd get into either of them but ended up enthralled with both.  There were a lot of issues with Kim Cattrall and other cast members, so I'm not surprised she won't be taking up her role again.  Definitely looking forward to Better Call Saul once it wraps up.  And I have heard great things about Cobra Kai!

I just finished watching all 6 seasons. Carrie was a big whiner who never got better, and she and Big were a train wreck together. Miranda was the character I related to best, though in the late 90's early 00's I dressed almost exactly like Charlotte.

A few friends of mine are/were huge fans of the show I saw the first movie when it first came out, despite never having seen the show so I kind of knew where everything was going to end up anyway.

Won't give away spoilers if you decide to keep watching beyond the first few seasons.

ab_grp

Quote from: ciao_yall on January 12, 2021, 09:34:36 AM
Quote from: ab_grp on January 12, 2021, 09:14:21 AM

I just finished watching all 6 seasons. Carrie was a big whiner who never got better, and she and Big were a train wreck together. Miranda was the character I related to best, though in the late 90's early 00's I dressed almost exactly like Charlotte.

A few friends of mine are/were huge fans of the show I saw the first movie when it first came out, despite never having seen the show so I kind of knew where everything was going to end up anyway.

Won't give away spoilers if you decide to keep watching beyond the first few seasons.

I actually did end up watching all seasons of both shows, and I think I saw the both movies of SATC at some point.  Totally agree with your thoughts on the characters and dynamics.  But I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the show overall.  Despite the setting, there were some very relatable situations.  I guess the same is true for The Sopranos, as I don't actually live that life either, but I found a lot of that very relatable.