Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The TV Series Thread

Started by ciao_yall, July 25, 2020, 11:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Quote from: secundem_artem on July 08, 2021, 11:25:38 AM
Quote from: AmLitHist on July 08, 2021, 10:46:02 AM
Has anyone here watched Bosch on Amazon, and is it worth my time to commit to it?  I've seen passing references online and done a bit of very cursory searching about it.  I love old film noir from the '40s and modern network procedurals like the original NCIS and the two FBIs. I don't care for the Dick Wolfe NBC shows (Chicagos and Law & Orders).  Bosch seems like a mix of the straight procedural with the noir that I might like.  I don't really want to invest several hours just to walk away, though, if forumites can help with some reviews.

Other suggestions for shows that might fill the bill are also welcome.

We loved Bosch - all 7 seasons.  Interesting characters, often solving moral dilemmas.  Not especially violent.  Titus Welliver is great as Bosch, Lance Reddick plays an interesting chief of police (is he a good guy or a bad guy?) and 2 older detectives - Crate and Barrel - are a hoot.  Lots of politicking mixed in with policing

I've never seen the show but read almost all the books.

Very tangled, very well- managed.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

EdnaMode

Quote from: mamselle on July 07, 2021, 12:48:58 PM

Now re-watching all of "Lewis."

M.

Oh, I thoroughly enjoyed "Lewis." I've been thinking of buying a PBS subscription just to watch it again. I enjoyed the interaction between Lewis and Hathaway.

I just finished watching both series of "Manifest" on Netflix. It was interesting, I got drawn in more than I thought I would. A friend thinks I need to watch "A Discovery of Witches" so I may see about getting a free week of whatever streaming service I don't have (don't remember where it is off the top of my head, but not Netflix or Prime, which I do have) and check it out.
I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.

onthefringe

Ted Lasso which was just as sweet and wholesome as everyone said it was

Leverage Redemption Parker and Eliot are still my favorites. Interested to see where they go after the first couple (which were very clearly based on the Sackler family....)

Sun_Worshiper

You folks going to watch The Chair on Netflix?

onthefringe

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on July 21, 2021, 06:45:11 PM

That's quite a cast! I feel like David Morse would make a very intimidating Dean. I can see giving it a shot...

mamselle

Finished Lewis, doing Morse now.

I suppose if I'm working backwards, I'll have to catch up on Endeavor after that; saw a few of the early ones but none after the 1st season.

Then....hmmm....There are several seasons of "Vera," and "Call the Midwife," and whole decades of "The Bill" to return to.

Have to balance these carefully between getting actual work done, and...well...

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Larimar

Leverage Redemption! I've now seen the first 8 episodes.

Loved the original Leverage. The new reboot is also good so far, but doesn't quite seem to have found its footing yet. I like the new character Breanna. She's got bright and talented and spunky and quick-learning but inexperienced and sometimes too impulsive down.  Harry Wilson seems a bit stiff and flat though. I'm not thrilled that the writers seem to have undone a lot of the character development Parker went through over the course of the original series. Sophie's grief over Nate, however, I think is working.

AmLitHist

I started season 1 of 24 over the weekend.  Oh.....my......GOSH!  I saw and loved the final few seasons, but was in grad school/caring for Mom/had 2 teen girls when it was first on.  It's great to go all the way back and see how solid it was from the start.

I knew, but had forgotten, that this premiered November 6, 2001--less than 2 months after 9/11.  It's very much a show of its time, but it also holds up 20 years later.

Anyone else here a Blacklist fan?  I know I'm in the minority, but I'm fine with the end of this most recent season. I've always been Team Red all the way.

ab_grp

Quote from: AmLitHist on July 22, 2021, 02:22:14 PM
I started season 1 of 24 over the weekend.  Oh.....my......GOSH!  I saw and loved the final few seasons, but was in grad school/caring for Mom/had 2 teen girls when it was first on.  It's great to go all the way back and see how solid it was from the start.

I knew, but had forgotten, that this premiered November 6, 2001--less than 2 months after 9/11.  It's very much a show of its time, but it also holds up 20 years later.

Anyone else here a Blacklist fan?  I know I'm in the minority, but I'm fine with the end of this most recent season. I've always been Team Red all the way.

24 is definitely a heart pounder at times! Aside from some annoying characters and the amount of disbelief one needs to suspend, we really enjoyed it (I've seen it twice through).

As for Blacklist I think I have seen at least the first season, maybe part or all of a second.  I really liked that one too but just lost track of it at some point.  Is it pretty good throughout? Maybe we'll pick it up if so.

ab_grp

I guess I haven't update our watching in a while? We finished up Schitt's Creek a couple weeks ago.  It's kind of a weird and surprising show.   Took a while to get into (maybe due to the pacing? figuring out the "world" of the Roses?), but we really ended up enjoying it, and it wrapped up well.  Final scene was on point.

We took up Ugly Betty in its place, which I had seen but my husband hadn't.  I think it's a pretty sweet show, definitely a lot of drama, and some good characters.  Just started Season 2.

Last night we finished Warehouse 13, which I didn't get into as much as Eureka, but I thought that some of the plot points were pretty clever, and the finale was great.  I might have changed a couple things, but I really liked it.  One of the other final episodes ("Savage Seduction") was also a lot of fun.

So our replacement for that one is Heroes, which is another one I've seen that my husband hasn't.  It's been a while, so hopefully it has held up.  Starting that one tonight.

mamselle

Still going through "Morse," also did one marathon session with the older (Roy Marsden) version of Dalgleish, which was broken up into 5 segments, 45 min. to an hour each, which I hadn't counted on.

I usually enjoy Martin Shaw's work but for some reason when I tried to watch one of his versions, awhile ago, it seemed "off" to me somehow. I've read all the books, some of them more than once, and I had a leaner, more lyrical person in mind, somehow.

While very long, the Marsden version seemed to fit better. Not sure how to schedule them in, once I start a plot I don't like interrupting it, but I'll probably watch more of those if I can figure out a way to do so.

Anyway, back to Morse for now...

M.

ergative

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on July 21, 2021, 06:45:11 PM

Wow, I would definitely be remiss in my professional obligations if I did not watch it. I have set the reminder.

In the meantime, I am teetering on the edge of falling down the pit of The Untamed. The special effects are not great, and the subtitles are pretty rough so I can't comment on the writing, but the costumes and scenery are visually stunning, and people whose opinion I respect fell for it hard. Certainly a slow-burn queer romance (happy chaos sunshine + grumpy uptight stormcloud) set in Ancient Chinese Fantasyland, which was based on a cult hit webnovel and has been given FIFTY HOURS of high-budget video adaptation that simultaneously censors all the queer elements (because China) while putting in as many of the queer-coded hints as it can sneak past the censors*, is definitely worth my attention. Plus, it's very pretty from what I've seen.

*Lots of long burning eye contact, I've been promised, plus a rabbit motif which seems, in China, to be a queer-coded symbol.

mamselle

Finished Morse, now on Kavanaugh, QC.

I suppose it will be Judge Dean, George Gently, or a Touch of Frost next, unless I can get through more Dalgliesh...

Hmmm....or, I might have missed one of the R. Randall episodes...

M.

hmaria1609

Quote from: mamselle on August 07, 2021, 03:48:22 PM
Finished Morse, now on Kavanaugh, QC.
M.
I've heard of that show! It wasn't part of the "Mystery!" lineup on PBS. Amazing that John Thaw was doing "Morse" and "Kavanaugh, QC" concurrently in the '90s.

mamselle

I just saw the last one of Kavanaugh (very good): sorry that season 6 only had 1 episode.

Watching "Killer Waiting," now; will see what's next after that.

M.