News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The TV Series Thread

Started by ciao_yall, July 25, 2020, 11:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ergative

Discovered What We Do in the Shadows on the recommendation of a friend. What a hoot and a half! Wonderful casting, delightful fun being had with a goofy premise. I can only get the first two seasons for free with my existing access and streaming subscriptions, but I'm considering spending real money to get the third season.

sprout

Quote from: ergative on September 22, 2021, 12:03:11 AM
Discovered What We Do in the Shadows on the recommendation of a friend. What a hoot and a half! Wonderful casting, delightful fun being had with a goofy premise. I can only get the first two seasons for free with my existing access and streaming subscriptions, but I'm considering spending real money to get the third season.
If you like that, you'd probably enjoy Wellington Paranormal too. (If you have HBO Max.)  It follows a couple of hapless Wellington beat cops who are put in charge of investigating potential paranormal happenings by their somewhat-paranormal-obsessed captain.

evil_physics_witchcraft

We started watching it too. Hilarious.

Sun_Worshiper

Great show! Hulu is releasing new episodes every week.

RatGuy

To get me into the Halloween spirit, I'll probably watch "Midnight Mass" on Netflix. I'm a big fan of Mike Flanigan in general (we really liked "Haunting of Hill House" and "Oculus,") so I'm willing to give his new one a chance.

ciao_yall

Latest TV shows...

Alpha House - Takes place during Obama administration and quite prescient!
30 Rock - Yeah, can't believe I didn't watch it the first time around. Wow, mid-aughts fashion is already looking dated!

Eagerly awaiting...
White Lotus - Just wrapped up, eagerly awaiting the next season.
Succession - SEASON 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hacks - When it finally comes out of the HBO Max jail and I can watch it on a real TV without all the extra gizmos.

downer

Could there be anything more pleasurable than watching another season of the Great British Bake Off/Baking Show?

Not for me.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

larryc

I was on a Delta flight heading for vacation on Cape Cod when I noticed the TV show called High Town set on Cape Cod.

It is really terrible.

jimbogumbo

Quote from: larryc on September 25, 2021, 10:03:54 AM
I was on a Delta flight heading for vacation on Cape Cod when I noticed the TV show called High Town set on Cape Cod.

It is really terrible.

You will be thrilled to learn there is a Season 2 about to start.

ergative

I've been enjoying the odd episode of The Untamed. Great costumes, pretty scenery, nice music, good wigs. Lots of actors not afraid to vamp and chew the scenery. I recommended it to my mother, but even with appropriate explanation of context and expectation setting, she evidently found it not to her liking, judging from her most recent email, which read only, 'You have got to be kidding.'

Anyone else here enjoying some extremely extra Chinese fantasy drama? Great costumes, good wigs!

mamselle

Nearly done with Bergerac, just found Shoestring.

I keep thinking I might want to go back and pick up Vera and Midwives after that.

M.

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Sun_Worshiper

We watched Squid Game over the last week. It is great (Parasite meets Hostel), but not for the squeamish. Did anyone else watch it?

secundem_artem

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on October 01, 2021, 09:08:45 AM
We watched Squid Game over the last week. It is great (Parasite meets Hostel), but not for the squeamish. Did anyone else watch it?

I'm 5 episodes in.  It's fascinating.  Highly recommended, but as you say, not for the squeamish.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

ciao_yall

Just wrapped Alpha House.

Now watching The Chair on Netflix. Yeah, hits freakishly close to home.

mamselle

Finished Bergerac.

Sigh. I liked the bicultural/bilingual dimensions, it seemed more ventilated and alive, especially since they avoided all the stupid cliches about French culture, at least most of the time.

I also realized the secretary in the first three seasons is now Fleur on M.Murders...funny turn-around.

I'll wait a couple days to start Shoestring, I think.

Have to let the palette clear, you know?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.