News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The TV Series Thread

Started by ciao_yall, July 25, 2020, 11:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larimar

Leverage: Redemption has dropped the second half of their first season!! "The Bucket Job" is a bomb, but "The Jackal Job" is quite good. As of now I've seen up through "The Hurricane Job" & am enjoying it.

ciao_yall

Just wrapped "The Chair." Hmm.

Thoughts?

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: ciao_yall on October 16, 2021, 08:07:08 AM

Thoughts?

I thought it was pretty good. Effectively blends comedy with drama and packed an emotional punch. The portrayal of, and commentary on, the academic workplace is pretty accurate and sharp as well, although obviously exaggerated.

ciao_yall

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on October 16, 2021, 08:41:27 AM

Thoughts?

I thought it was pretty good. Effectively blends comedy with drama and packed an emotional punch. The portrayal of, and commentary on, the academic workplace is pretty accurate and sharp as well, although obviously exaggerated.

I liked it up until the final episode. Can't say much more without spoilers.

mamselle

Shoestring is good. I'll have to follow Treavor Eve further, it appears.

Very sorry he decided to stop after just two seasons, but he then had a quite varied career, so maybe that was a good move.

Very, very odd seeing two major early characters from "The Bill" in the same Shoestring episode the other evening; also A. Badland and Diamante Lil, both from Bergerac, were in the previous episode there.

And Badland has of course turned up at Midsomer as Fleur.

I recall now thinking her eyes looked familiar and being unable to place her; it's funny following someone like that so much later and realizing finally that you were right, you did know her, you just couldn't ever have figured out wherefrom.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

secundem_artem

Just started Season 4 of Goliath.  I don't know if the show has a different show runner or something but the aesthetic, pacing, visuals are WAY different than the first 3 seasons and the plot seems to be skipping around a lot.  Frankly, the show looks like somebody just watched Blade Runner 12 times back to back and then started filming Goliath.  I like Billy Bob Thornton and JK Simmons.  Beyond that, the jury is still out. (no pun intended)
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

cathwen

My husband and I watched all four seasons of Goliath.  We liked it, mainly; although I thought season 2 was just too weird and gruesome. 

ab_grp

We finished Jericho a couple nights ago, the show about the aftermath a town has to deal with after the appearance of a mushroom cloud.  Lots of very timely material with political struggles and threats to society and humanity of various kinds.  There are only two seasons, the second of which is only about 7 episodes, and there were two finales shot (in case the show got renewed and in case not) that are included in the DVD set.   It was entertaining, and there were certainly some characters to like or not like and root for or against.  I guess they tried to extend it a bit after cancellation with some graphic novels, but I doubt we'll read them.  Still, we enjoyed the show.  Now we've started Seinfeld from the pilot on as a companion to Alias.

dr_codex

Thoughts?

My Dean couldn't watch past the first episode because too much of the commentary was on point. He's seen almost everything in the series happen.
back to the books.

ciao_yall

Quote from: dr_codex on October 24, 2021, 11:15:29 AM

Thoughts?

My Dean couldn't watch past the first episode because too much of the commentary was on point. He's seen almost everything in the series happen.

I thought it was pretty on-point as well. Especially the Dean. Ew.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: ciao_yall on October 24, 2021, 11:52:31 AM
Quote from: dr_codex on October 24, 2021, 11:15:29 AM

Thoughts?

I thought it was pretty on-point as well. Especially the Dean. Ew.

Whoever the writers are they studied up on the controversies and challenges facing the humanities----although the series is pretty over the top, which is necessary.  If people knew what our daily routines were like they would be bored to tears.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Wahoo Redux

Been watching Midnight Mass on Netflix.  Soap opera meets horror.  Hokey melodrama combined with bad vampire special effects but some excellent acting and compelling good story.  I am enjoying it quite a bit.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

sprout

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on October 24, 2021, 12:32:52 PM
Been watching Midnight Mass on Netflix.  Soap opera meets horror.  Hokey melodrama combined with bad vampire special effects but some excellent acting and compelling good story.  I am enjoying it quite a bit.

I enjoyed that too.  It had some different elements that I haven't always seen in vampire stories.  And I thought the reactions and behaviors of the townspeople were actually quite plausible (given the situation and the personalities involved, one in particular).

Morden

C'est comme ça que je t'aime--a French Canadian comedy. We're watching on CBC Gem with the English subtitles, but it might be available elsewhere. The same writer did Série Noire which we haven't seen yet.

ciao_yall

Watching:

Succession Season 3

And 2 old reruns:

30 Rock - Season 5. Getting a bit stale but still fun.
Jane The Virgin - I don't know how I tripped into it as it doesn't tick any of my boxes but it's a really good show!