Author Topic: Gardeners: how's it looking?  (Read 15084 times)

poiuy

Re: Gardeners: how's it looking?
« Reply #420 on: July 27, 2022, 11:33:37 PM »
Can you share / distribute to neighbors, friends, or others in your community?
If I were your IRL neighbour I would love to receive some.

Thursday's_Child

• prone to antiquated faculty thought patterns
« Reply #421 on: July 28, 2022, 08:59:07 AM »
Slice okra very thinly & fry until crisp in a tiny amount of olive oil.  While still quite hot, salt lightly, add a scant spoonful of lemon juice, toss to coat, & eat.

It is also good pickled - use your favorite recipe(s).

evil_physics_witchcraft

• Distinguished Senior Member
  • Druidic harbinger of Nature's voice.
« Reply #422 on: July 28, 2022, 10:08:34 AM »
Dehydrate okra and use it in soups/stews. Some people I know have cooked okra in an air fryer and claimed that it tasted good.

clean

• CHE Posts: 5416
« Reply #423 on: July 28, 2022, 03:59:44 PM »
The tomato I ve been spoiling for a week or more has been picked.  However, not by me!  It seems that the birds thought that it was ready and IF I wasnt going to eat it THEY WOULD! 

I was so close to picking it yesterday, but i figured it needed just one more day!  IT seems I was right!  The birds agreed.  One more day was all it needed!!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Harlow2

« Reply #424 on: July 28, 2022, 05:51:02 PM »
The tomato I ve been spoiling for a week or more has been picked.  However, not by me!  It seems that the birds thought that it was ready and IF I wasnt going to eat it THEY WOULD! 

I was so close to picking it yesterday, but i figured it needed just one more day!  IT seems I was right!  The birds agreed.  One more day was all it needed!!

I’ve decided that some of them ripen really well on the counter out of reach of little beaks or teeth.

AmLitHist

« Reply #425 on: August 01, 2022, 07:58:25 AM »
After the atrocious heat and humidity, then last week's torrential rain, the garden is showing the strain:

--I pulled up the zucchini and squash last week (after harvesting and freezing enough for 14 batches of zucchini bread!). They were starting to show mildew, which let the beetles come in, but I got a good harvest.

--A couple of tomato plants will be next:  the vines are dying off, and there are only a couple of green ones left on each plant. The red tomato still looks pretty good and is still producing, and the yellow cherry tomato continues to produce like crazy. For all the crazy weather, the tomatoes have wonderful flavor this year.

--The orange bell pepper plant turned out to be a long, banana-shaped pepper; I harvested a couple yesterday and gave them to Kid #1 with the warning that I don't know if they're hot or sweet.  I also planted a red pepper that's shaped like a Scotch bonnet, but sweet instead of hot.  We'll see!  That one is just loaded with green peppers at the moment.

--The supposedly-bush cucumbers have spread into the neighboring bed.  Some of the leaves are yellowing and/or frying in the heat, but they continue to produce pretty well.

--The lone volunteer cantaloupe vine has gone completely bonkers and is trailing all over between its raised bed and into the flower bed next to it.  I picked four nice cantaloupes over the weekend, and a couple more will be ready this week.

All in all, for a very cool and wet spring that led to late planting, and then extreme heat for most of June and July--not to mention that I haven't been able to do much upkeep at all, post -op--things have done really well. I might try a couple of packs of late-season kale and lettuce, if I get the ambition.

OH--almost forgot:  the herb bed is producing a metric shit-ton of parsley, sage, catnip, chives, rosemary, and dill!  :-)  I need to get a cheap dehydrator to replace the old one I used to have.

Harlow2

« Reply #426 on: August 02, 2022, 07:17:21 AM »
Doing battle with spotted lantern flies. They have hit my very small grape vine. I killed one but there are many more. If I can get them to jump 3 times I can squish, but the grape vine is surrounded by grass, and its hard to squish on grass. I’m worried that if I get them off the vine they will move to the tomatoes.  For those in parts of the country not affected, these pernicious bugs can devastate crops and are impervious to any chemical treatment. Only squishing works.

mamselle

• Use your wit and intelligence to figure out how to be kinder
  • Wondering, Wandering Sr. Member
  • CHE Posts: 4,618
« Reply #427 on: August 02, 2022, 07:41:54 AM »
Nutcracker?

Garlic press?

Good luck...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.