News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

Thanks, I'll PM you over the weekend.

I made it to 136 words today, but have to take care of grading and other work-related matters. The pangram wasn't too difficult. I hope there's another one as that would get me to genius.

ab_grp

Sure! I made it to just past genius so far today.  I have only found one pangram so far, though there were three the other days.  Good luck, in any case.

I felt pretty silly missing "augural" yesterday, as I had a calendar appointment that afternoon to attend a colleague's inaugural lecture as a distinguished professor.  I'm not sure I would have gotten it even if I had checked my calendar by then, though.

nebo113

Just got today's pangram (unless there's more than one) so will quit while I'm ahead!!!!

ab_grp

Congrats!  I made it to genius plus a little and found a pangram but am now stuck again, as usual. 

Parasaurolophus

I'm a dozen short of genius today, but expect to get there eventually. I'll try to remember to complain about a word that's not being counted.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

I'm slightly above genius, but have been stuck.

Stopped by for a quick look, now back to Canvas for another couple of hours.

ab_grp

We compared lists and ended up having to run the program for the final three words. 

Langue_doc

It's 131 today. I've given up.

ab_grp

We finally got to QB without any aid.  I had gotten within 6 points and racked up another 3 after comparing lists, but it was a challenge to find those final three words.  Luckily, the pangram made itself known fairly early on.  Kind of a tough day.

Langue_doc

I got the pangram early on--it was an academically appropriate word. I'm stuck at 188.

OneMoreYear

I got the pangram as the 1st word, as I was taking a break from grading to do it.
Did not get all the words, though.

Langue_doc

I made it to 63--hurrah! The pangram was my last word. I'm not sure if I'll be able to find the remaining words.

ciao_yall

This morning it would not take TEFF which is a grain. Grr.

Parasaurolophus

Lots of weird words yesterday (epode, odea, ogee, yegg), and yet they wouldn't take 'elven'. I know Tolkein didn't like 'elven', but the fact is that it's a thing, now.

As for today... I'm stuck at 22 in 13 words for now.

EDIT: 37 in 14. Found the pangram.
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Yes, yesterday did have a lot of unusual words, and I also keep trying elven.  I ended up guessing epode and odea, and yegg is sometimes in the crossword.  Today I made it to genius in about 10 minutes, but I got lucky because I got the pangram fairly early on, and some of these words have been in the puzzle recently.  Then I got stuck, but I did finally make it to QB by guessing the final word.  I don't know if it feels like so much of an accomplishment if I have to guess, but maybe I heard the word somewhere.    I am thankful for a short word list that was not too bad today.  Given that I don't do much that's productive these, days, I will take it.  If only I could put it on my cv.