News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

QBwH for all four variants of grandfather. LB junction-newsdesk.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

QBwH to find grandad, granddad, grandpapa, and pidgin.  This morning I'm at Alpha with three words to go.

LB: I had junctions-skewed.  I found a 2fer today also.

We are enjoying Youngest Daughter's visit.  We all went out to an iconic pizza place that people travel for miles to come to, so that was fun. It was the first outing (other than doctor appointments) for my husband, who is convalescing nicely.  The pizza place is located in an area with narrow streets and few places to park, so I had to parallel park for the first time in probably at least 20 years—so that was an adventure.  Fortunately, it went well, and no cars were harmed in the process.

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

Finally got to genius with both pangrams after husband inquired whether there were just the two pangrams.  Thanks for the help! haha We also had some trouble with the various granddads yesterday (I think I had grandpapa but not grandpa (!) and not granddad, grandad, the latter of which looks weird to me) and pidgin.

And I also had junctions-skewed.  Congrats on another today, cathwen!

I'm so glad the visit is going well, cathwen, and the pizza place sounds like a nice first non-doctor outing for your husband! Sorry to hear that you had to parallel park, but great that it went well.  I have no idea if I would be able to do that these days.  I've never been particularly good at it.  Part of it is that I have about zero spatial awareness, so the spot better be about two car lengths for me to feel like I can fit my tiny car into it! I get anxious even being in a car where someone is trying to parallel park in a small spot.  Anyway, pizza! Yum!! Good outing! Will your daughter be staying for a while?

Our youngest is heading up to college this week, and of course everything is ready and nothing is ready.  Luckily, they have stores there, of course, and there are family friends in the area in case something goes awry.  Should be interesting!

Happy solving!

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

QBwALTHICG. javelina?

LB - just 3fers because it wouldn't take foxhound-dingler but it took all sorts of other weird words to make 3fers like foxhound-dingle-erf, foxhound-dirge-eld. Sometimes life just isn't fair.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

Got to a little past genius today, I think, with the pangram.  Yesterday I think our final word was elan, the only one we needed help with.  I was missing three others that husband had, but I was happy to get villanelle as the very first word I found! Hopefully I will never forget that one again.  As for javelinas, they are regional wildlife here.  Hunting fare, mostly, as far as I know.

I had foxhole but couldn't find a mate, darn it!!

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Afternoon!

Genius and then the pangram. Last couple of words yesterday were ones that I thought I had entered much earlier--lave and vale. As for javelina and dugong in an earlier puzzle, I watch National Geographic and the Planet Earth documentaries, so am familiar with exotic flora and fauna, albeit on TV.

foxhound/dirgeful--didn't think that the latter was a real word, but didn't argue with LB once it was accepted.

As for parallel parking, even though there's plenty of parking where I live, I still have to maneuver my car on occasion, especially when I have to park near the subway station, as I had to earlier today. Fortunately mine's a hatchback, which makes things much more manageable.

Crosswords today and yesterday were slightly above average in terms of difficulty.

cathwen

Good afternoon!

For some reason, I just did not see linen and valve yesterday—words I usually get—and needed 2LL hints to find them.  Today I have four words to go, but will probably need help to find them.  Sigh...

LB:  I had the "official" foxhole-enduring.  No 2fer yet today.  Probably no time to look for one, either—it's a busy day.  Sigh again!

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

I got ships on LB, and I have some good contenders, but no luck yet.  And I still have a few bee words left.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

QBw2LL, last word comet.

LB - Just 2fer b4ss builders-schleppy, hybrids-scruple and 3fers coming out of my ears.I got close with physic-crucible-eld, buildup-psyched-dry, psychic-curled-dib and many other close-but-no-cigar solutions.

Oh well, today is a new day! Happy solving!

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to GWP pretty quickly this morning, and I think I have 3 words left now.  I will cross my fingers! Yesterday was not so great.  I think I missed detect(ed), emcee(d), dotcom.  Oh well!

And no luck on LB for me, either.  Lots of possibilities, though!

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good afternoon!

I needed 2LL hints yesterday to find coopt(ed), dotcom, and octopod.  Today I have three words to go.  I have a feeling I may need letter hints later, as I am stuck.

LB:  No 2fer yesterday!  But I found one today.

Happy puzzling!

Langue_doc

Afternoon!

Pangram and above genius so far. Last words yesterday were detect and detected.

psychedelic/curb

Happy solving!