NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

A rash of 3fers... still no 2fer.

ETA - 2FER!!!!!!!!!

And totes legit.

ab_grp

Hooray! I got a 2fer too yesterday before closing up shop.  Not the official one, though: EPONYMOUS-SEAWARD.  What solution did you find? Apparently WRAP-PSEUDONYM was official.

Congrats on your QB, Langue_doc!

cathwen

Congratulations on all the 2-fers for yesterday!  I didn't make it yesterday, but found a 2-fer today.  Yay!

I'm a bit beyond genius in SB, which apparently has a maximum of 241 points.  QB seems unlikely today, but I"ll keep coming back to it and see what happens. 

ciao_yall

I found "eponymous-seaward" as well.

Made QB yesterday with help from the comments board. Rather anticlimactic. Usually I just stop at "genius."

Langue_doc

QB today; several weird four letter words. The couple of uncommon longer words have appeared on earlier puzzles.

ab_grp

Congrats on the QB, Langue_doc! I am at 233, so Alpha Bee +, but I'm not sure if I will get the remaining word(s).  Seems like they were a bit picky today about particular options that would be accepted.

Congrats on your 2fer today, cathwen! I think I have a good contender but need to find a mate.  Good luck if you go for the QB title again!

And congrats on yours yesterday, ciao_yall! Great minds and all.

ETA: got a 2fer.  I ended up trying a different word, and the remaining letters made sense for a mate.  Not sure if I could get another with my original contender...

cathwen

Wow, QB again, Langue_doc!  I'm at 211 points, so I have a good way to go, and probably won't make it today.  I'll look for those weird 4-letter words, though. 

Langue_doc

Good luck, ab_grp and cathwen. I would play around with the letters to find four letter words. There are also a few words ending in -able.

ab_grp

Thanks, Langue_doc! I will probably need the luck.  I have a couple weird four-letter words that have been in there before, but I will check for some more.  And the -able acceptability was the pickiness I was referring to.  If it helps, cathwen, there are two pangrams (if you haven't found them both already).

cathwen

I have found the two pangrams, have entered a number of -able words, and am currently playing around with four letter words.  I'll probably once again be bonking myself on the head with my dictionary when I see what I missed! 

ciao_yall

SB - stuck at "amazing." Will look for more "-able" words. ETA - got "genius."

LB - messy 2fer - I'll keep it. May look for others. 

Langue_doc

25 four-letter words and five -able words. Occasionally I find that a word that I typed wasn't entered by the system, so now I double-check my word list just to make sure that all my words have been accepted. I've found a missing word on at least three occasions this week. As for the other words, these are all words we know or words that have appeared more than once in SB. There was just one unfamiliar compound, but the components were familiar everyday ones. I tried polebean, thinking that it was a single word like crabapple, but discovered that it was in fact two words.

ab_grp

We finally gave up on the bee.  I was missing three words, two of which were four letters (argh!!), one of which I'd seen before in the bee but tend to forget and one of which I hadn't, and another word I usually get.  At least I made it to Alpha.  Almost QB!

Glad you got a 2fer, ciao_yall, even if it isn't so elegant.  I am guessing mine might be the official one but am not sure.

I'm also glad I was able to get my computer (which had frozen, again, while I was away from it) rebooted and today's hard sudoku reloaded with my progress intact before tomorrow's came out.  I think I made it with about a minute to spare.

ciao_yall

I have some great words, just can't quite squeeze them into a 2fer.

ciao_yall

Quote from: Langue_doc on September 15, 2020, 09:24:55 AM
Lede and clitic aren't on the list of acceptable (English) words, but raita and baobab are OK. I'm still struggling with today's pangram.

It wouldn't take BAOBOB today. GAH! (Wow, this thread has been going a while. Ended up on page 1.)