News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathwen

Good afternoon!

First, thank you for the good wishes for my husband.  The surgery went well.  I am visiting now (he's snoozing), but he looks good.  I accompanied him and a nurse's aide for a walk—three laps around the hospital floor.  He will be home sometime this week (day to be determined).  But all is well, and he's feeling upbeat about managing and living with his new appliance.

Now, for SB:  I had all the time in the world yesterday (I was in the hospital for 10 hours), but threw in the towel at QB-5 and looked at 2-letter hints to find admin, doodad, indica, indicia, and mondo

LB:  I had lovability-yearning.  No 2fer yet today, though—I have one good word that leaves only a few letters, but can't make a good word with them.  You all know how that goes! 

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

I'm so glad to hear that the surgery went well and that your husband is resting and feeling well, cathwen! Being at the hospital all day is tiring and stressful, no matter how much time it purportedly gives for puzzling.  Congrats on your 2fer yesterday! I haven't found one today yet either (maybe you have by now), though I have some possibilities.  I am one dang 4-letter word away from QB, though.

ETA: Finally got a 2fer!

ciao_yall

QB, needed a hint for kiddie. LB organic-crumbly.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and above genius so far. Last word yesterday was peke, whatever that means; penultimate word was the pangram.

organic/crumbly; are organic baked goods crumblier than their non-organic counterparts?

cathwen, glad to hear that the surgery went well and that husband is recovering. All the same, it must have been a bit nerve-wracking the day of the surgery. Continuing to send you both good wishes for a speedy recovery.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Husband had to get up early for a meeting, so I tried out the weighted blanket I got him for his birthday recently and here I am, several hours later.  I'm going to have to look at one of those for myself! But in any case, I haven't gotten very far with puzzles, though I do have the pangram and am nearing genius.  I figured peke is short for pekingese dog.  We each made it down to the one four-letter word kepi.  I don't think I ever would have gotten that without first letter help and it being only four letters and kind of remembering it!

I got the same 2fer.  I had crumbly forever but it took until evening to find a mate.  Once I did, it seemed obvious.  I don't know about the crumblyness of organic foods, but it's a good theory.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good afternoon!

I never did finish SB yesterday.  Deke, deked, dink, dinked, and keened were the words I missed.  Today I have two words to go; we'll see.

Yesterday's LB was unsatisfying in that I did get a 2fer, but one of the words didn't seem like a word.  I had manicuring-globy.  I had seen crumbly but not organic!  I have a similarly unsatisfying 2fer today in that one word is very iffy in spite of having been accepted.  If I have time, I'll try for a better one.

Ab_grp, Youngest Daughter has one of those weighted blankets and loves it!  I've never tried one myself, but I'm tempted to buy one.

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Cathwen, I hope you get your two bee words! I have four left now.  And congrats on a different 2fer and another today.  Weird or not, they're legit in my opinion since they don't accept things they should half the time! I don't have one yet today but have some promising contenders. 

As for the blanket, I have heard so many good things about them, and I found a recommended one on sale, so I figured might as well try it out.  The one I initially wanted to get was a lot more expensive, and who knows if someone will like the feeling of the weight? And the recommendations are different as far as weights.  Some say 10% of bodyweight, some say 6-10%, but I read some reviews indicating that it depends on the size of the blanket as well.  Apparently, some people thought that the heavier side of things was too heavy if the blanket was smaller so that the weight wasn't distributed across a greater area.  Lots to think about! I am not totally sure what the blanket weight and body weight have to do with each other since I think you are supposed to lie under the blanket.  Anyway, he liked the one I got (which is also supposedly a cooling blanket) and said he has had even more restful sleep with it the past few nights, but it's more a weight recommended for me than for him, so I picked up another two today also on sale, one of which is heavier and the other is larger.  It seems like we need our separate top blankets since we have different sleeping and heat issues along with the weights.  Might as well try a few scenarios out.  I think it will help me in the mornings when I wake up too early and really need more sleep but start thinking and having a hard time getting back to sleep, like this morning.  There was a Twitter thread just after Christmas about how addictive weighted blankets are which got me thinking in this direction and provided some recommendations.   If you have any questions, let me know.  I can tell you which one I got (off Amazon) too, if that helps. 

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

QB, needed a hint+Google for borzoi. Never heard of such a critter.

LB pricklet-toeholds.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Above genius, but don't think I have the pangram yet.

Missed borzoi and bobbing--I know that I typed the latter at least twice.

chords/spikelet

I too have been checking out the weighted blankets.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Finally got the pangram but not quite to genius yet.  Yesterday we almost had team QB, but borzoi got in the way.  We had to look at Steve G's hints in the community page, which is a last resort, and then there was still guessing involved.

No luck on LB, so congrats on your solutions, ciao_yall and Langue_doc!

Regarding the weighted blankets, I realized last night that it wasn't too nice to order 40 pounds of blanket at once for delivery.  Sorry, driver!

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good afternoon!

I also got stuck on borzoi yesterday. I dimly remember having seen the breed while watching the Westminster Dog Show.  Today I'm at Beta, five words to go. 

LB: I first had pricklets-shod.  Then I found lordship-picket.  I was leery of pricklets, but if the LB gods say okay, then who am I to question.

No 2fer yet today! 

Good news:  My husband came home from the hospital today!  Hooray!

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Yay for your husband coming home, cathwen!! I hope his home recovery continues to go well.  Congrats on your 2fers yesterday!

I have no 2fer today yet, either.  I did finally get to genius.  I was really not a fan of the crosswords yesterday (especially) and today.

ETA: Just saw that Sam posted that Saturday bee will have a bunch of pangrams and that "one of the pangrams, at 10 letters, is about as hard as they come," supposedly.  Just a heads up!

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

QBwH for concoct, concoction, moonlit.

LB was just 3fers unfit-tweak-karmic, muckrake-eft-twain. Looked like a tricky solution - wonder if there were many others?

Happy solving!