Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

The mini is my 10 PM break on weekdays.

ciao_yall

Quote from: ab_grp on December 01, 2020, 08:02:27 AM
Thanks, Langue_doc! The mini crossword is my warm up for the regular crossword.   Doesn't always help, but at least Tuesdays are not too bad in general.

I tried Letterboxed and got it in 3 words but agree that 2 might be tough.  I kind of wish you could bank previous solutions somewhere.  I'll just write them down as I go.

Yesterday was driving me crazy - I found MORPHS and then would have finished it with SUNLIGHT if it wasn't for all the letters being on the same side.

Today's - managed to get 2. Not sure if it's the official solution, but it worked.

I have recommended to them that they keep a running log of found words somewhere so you can go back and refer. Maybe it would use up too much memory?

ab_grp

I think I was going along the same lines as you yesterday with morphs and trying to get sunlight! So many times I need consecutive letters that happen to be on the same side.  I saw their answer for yesterday and wasn't anywhere near those words.  Any hints for two words today? As for storing previous words or solutions, I don't know what that would require.  I'm not sure why it wouldn't be similar to the bee, though maybe it would store solutions rather than individual words.  Each time you use up all the letters, it just goes on the list.   There may be more to it than that, of course.

ciao_yall

I may have gotten MONTH somewhere along the way, but the M and H weren't doing me any favors.

Hint for today.

"What an interesting exercise it has been, watching how various factions handle mask mandates."

Parasaurolophus

Easy Bee today, leaving me with energy for letter boxed.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Quote from: ciao_yall on December 01, 2020, 09:22:37 AM
I may have gotten MONTH somewhere along the way, but the M and H weren't doing me any favors.

Hint for today.

"What an interesting exercise it has been, watching how various factions handle mask mandates."

I'm still stumped. Now if it weren't for that pesky z, I could have fitted the letters into two words.

ab_grp

Quote from: Langue_doc on December 01, 2020, 12:44:34 PM

Hint for today.

I'm still stumped. Now if it weren't for that pesky z, I could have fitted the letters into two words.

I'm still stuck at 3 as well.  I finally got around to looking to see if there's anything that gives more information (e.g., is there always a solution that consists of only two words?), but I haven't located that in the articles I've read about it, and it doesn't appear in the Help items.   Guess I'll keep trying to think of more words with z.  I thought I had hit upon a good approach, but it hasn't panned out yet.

Langue_doc

Finished the crossword, and made it to QB.

I'm still stuck on LetterBoxed, but I think I've done my good deeds for the day.

ab_grp

Wooha! I just got Letterboxed in two words. 

Hint for today.

I am still trying to figure out what this hint means.  My mind keeps trying to parse it like this pi mnemonic (just an example I found online and have not checked for accuracy): "How I need a drink, alcoholic of course, after the heavy lectures involving quantum mechanics."  Or, the first letters of the words might spell something illuminating out.  That hasn't worked yet, either.  My mind is definitely a little foggy today. 

Langue_doc

Got it down to two. My first word is alphabet related. There are several possibilities and permutations, once you get a variant of the first word.

ab_grp

Your first word sounds like it might be a variant of my second word.  I had initially had it first but figured I'd try changing it a little and switching to second, and that made it easier for me to find a new first word.

ciao_yall

Quote from: ab_grp on December 01, 2020, 02:42:23 PM
Wooha! I just got Letterboxed in two words. 

Hint for today.

I am still trying to figure out what this hint means.  My mind keeps trying to parse it like this pi mnemonic (just an example I found online and have not checked for accuracy): "How I need a drink, alcoholic of course, after the heavy lectures involving quantum mechanics."  Or, the first letters of the words might spell something illuminating out.  That hasn't worked yet, either.  My mind is definitely a little foggy today.

Maybe this is a bit clearer?

"What an interesting exercise it has been, watching how various factions handle tax loopholes."

ciao_yall

Quote from: Langue_doc on December 01, 2020, 02:59:58 PM
Got it down to two. My first word is alphabet related. There are several possibilities and permutations, once you get a variant of the first word.

Yes, I found a first word that would be alphabet related but can't quite get the second in that scenario.

Langue_doc

Try using the past tense. I think the second word was also in the past tense.

ciao_yall

After my first solution, I'm doing okay with the Z but now the P is driving me bats. It's one or the other!