News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

I still don't get the hint! Sorry, I will keeping thinking and will try to take advantage of the hint (hint, hint!).

ciao_yall

Spelling Bee would not take LIMNAL

Yesterday's Letterboxed: My words were POLITICIZE-EVADER

Exercise and factions were supposed to cue "politicize" and masks, taxes were supposed to cue "evader."

I had ZED-DECORATIVE but that left the L and P.

Langue_doc

My words were capitalized and devote (or devoted, I don't remember the second word).

Today's SB is taking forever. I found two pangrams and plodded up to 216 points, just two above genius. I haven't looked at today's LB yet.

ciao_yall

Got a few solutions with 3 words. Hope will get to 2 soon. They would, of course, make any -TION or -LY words illegal. Grrr.

ab_grp

Thanks for explaining the hint, ciao_yall! Makes sense now.  I tried to approach it yesterday by finding something ending in "ize" and was excited about capitalize or capitalized but couldn't figure out a second word from there and didn't think I could find one using the remaining letters and ending in "c".  So I tried "recapitalize", which it took, and ended up with OVER-RECAPITALIZED.  Capitalize was what I was trying to hint at with "take advantage of" (not a great hint), and I figured that's what Langue_doc was hinting at, too.  Looks like the "official" solution was CAPITALIZE-EVILDOER.

Today's bee is definitely a slog.  I was really going there for a while but have been pretty much stuck at 252 points, so still 50+ to go?! Yeek, definitely missing something.  Or a lot of somethings.  I took a quick look at LB and thought I had found a good inroad but will get back to that a bit later.

ab_grp

We finally gave up on the bee after getting to 272 points and still being stumped.  Found two more in the dictionary, now searching the word list, but I am thinking we will have to look at the answers at this point.

But I did get to two words in Letterboxed!

Langue_doc

I don't think I'll be able to get back to SB or LB today, as I have a pile of grading/giving feedback that needs to be completed tonight.

As for SB, I'm missing a lot of words too. I'll have to look at the answers tomorrow to see what I missed.

ab_grp

I don't think I would have found any of the five remaining bee words (the two in the dictionary and three that I had to look at the answers for).  I'm glad we gave up when we did.

ciao_yall

Quote from: ab_grp on December 02, 2020, 12:44:09 PM

Me too!

Am experimenting with taking screenshots when I get a threefer and/or twofer just to save some good candidate words.

ab_grp

Quote from: ciao_yall on December 02, 2020, 04:11:07 PM

Me too!

Am experimenting with taking screenshots when I get a threefer and/or twofer just to save some good candidate words.

Hurrah! I have just started writing good candidate words or solutions on a notepad, but screen shots make sense.  Didn't even think of that.  I kept today's solution in place after finding it so I could share it tomorrow, and then my computer decided to go ahead and need to be restarted, so I will write it down before I forget.

ciao_yall

Quote from: ab_grp on December 02, 2020, 04:14:36 PM

Me too!

Hurrah! I have just started writing good candidate words or solutions on a notepad, but screen shots make sense.  Didn't even think of that.  I kept today's solution in place after finding it so I could share it tomorrow, and then my computer decided to go ahead and need to be restarted, so I will write it down before I forget.

Oooh, fun! Let's see if we can guess each other's solutions. Here is mine:

One who reacts; those whom we honor.

ab_grp

Quote from: ciao_yall on December 02, 2020, 05:48:47 PM
Quote from: ab_grp on December 02, 2020, 04:14:36 PM

Me too!

Oooh, fun! Let's see if we can guess each other's solutions. Here is mine:

One who reacts; those whom we honor.

Haha, honestly those hints could refer to my solution as well! I think the first is most likely the same as mine.  The second, maybe not? But possible.  It's funny, because when I was walking into my office just now, I was thinking about what kinds of hints I could give for the two words.  I like yours.  Interesting if we ended up with the same solution...

Langue_doc

I don't think my words are the same as yours. My first word is a synonym of playful abandon, and the second, a word that I didn't think existed, but which LB accepted as a legit word is reminiscent of tra la la (the recognizable part, and not what appears to be a suffix).

Those whom we honor sounds like a plural form--perhaps a collective noun?

Langue_doc

Solved LB in about 5 minutes today, and also made it to genius in SB.

ciao_yall

Quote from: Langue_doc on December 02, 2020, 08:04:15 PM
I don't think my words are the same as yours. My first word is a synonym of playful abandon, and the second, a word that I didn't think existed, but which LB accepted as a legit word is reminiscent of tra la la (the recognizable part, and not what appears to be a suffix).

Those whom we honor sounds like a plural form--perhaps a collective noun?

Mine were FLINCHER-ROYALTY

The official answer is FROLIC-CHANTEY - sounds like you got that as well?