Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

Quote from: Langue_doc on December 07, 2020, 05:04:49 PM
Quote from: ab_grp on December 07, 2020, 01:42:18 PM
Quote from: nebo113 on December 07, 2020, 01:17:27 PM
Why does LB say "Genius" or "Awesome" after some words?

Maybe they're trying to be like their more popular sibling, the bee. ;-)  Still struggling with today's LB, by the way.  I have some good candidate words but have not been able to make any solutions in two words.

They think we're kids who need the "well done" feedback.

I made it to QB earlier this afternoon, and just completed the crossword, an easy one. Now on to some grading before tackling LB. I found a couple of words earlier but couldn't get the remaining letters to form a word.

Found the panagram, but still stuck at Genius.

LB - Plenty of 3-fers but the 2-fer eludes me.

Langue_doc

Found two pangrams today and made it to genius.

As for LB, I wouldn't have guessed yesterday's two words. I did find a couple or more starting with en-, but the result was a three-word solution.

ciao_yall

Quote from: Langue_doc on December 08, 2020, 06:18:01 AM

As for LB, I wouldn't have guessed yesterday's two words. I did find a couple or more starting with en-, but the result was a three-word solution.

SB yesterday - missed 2 obvious ones (PEACE, CHEEPED) and one I should have gotten (EPEE) from doing the crossword puzzle all the time.

LB - I figured some sort of OMB; OMP; solution would be part of the final solution. I had all sorts of words like CAMBER, TAMPER, ROMPER, CRIMP... oh well. Onward! to today's!

ab_grp

I was apparently going in the wrong direction with LB yesterday, with reform, proforma, cabinet, informant, protein, pertain.  At least I was sort of close with camper.  I guess yesterday's was pretty tough, given that we all had trouble with it.

For the bee yesterday, epee was my final word, despite all the crossword stuff.  For today, sounds like I'm right around where Langue_doc is. 

ciao_yall

Quote from: Langue_doc on December 08, 2020, 06:18:01 AM

2 panagrams, made it to genius, not sure if QB will happen.

My first 3-fer of the day and first "**** I would have had a 2-fer if the letters are on the same side."

Well, time for a shower.

Langue_doc

Today's SB is punitive rather than challenging. Made it to genius though, but no pangram yet.

As for LB, I haven't looked at the solution nor today's puzzle.

ciao_yall

SB - it wouldn't take COIR. Now I'm cranky.

LB - I didn't get either word in the solution! Okay, about to get started.

ab_grp

For yesterday's LB I didn't get either of the words, either.  I thought I had a couple good candidates, but no deal.  Hopefully today's will be easier.  It seems like after that super easy one a few days ago, we are being punished!

I got up to 94 points on the bee today, but now I am really struggling.  Luckily, I accidentally started today's crossword last night.  I was trying to do an archive puzzle, but I guess I clicked on the new puzzle without thinking.  I figured it out midway, after there were a couple answers that I did not think would be part of a 2002 puzzle, as they weren't even around then.  But it took less time to get the crossword done this morning thanks to the head start.   Not that it has led to QB, yet.  I did get the (?) pangram pretty early on.

ciao_yall

Slow start with SB.

LB - lots of 5 and unders solutions, and lots of short words. But haven't found that long word that tends to point to a solution.

Langue_doc

I'll probably make it to QB. There are still a few words left on the crossword. I have a three-word solution to LB but don't think I have the patience to work on it today to get it down to two.

ciao_yall

SB - stuck at "great" and no panagram.

LB - plenty of 3fers with weird little words like "DOG" and "YAW" to bridge two real words. But the actual 2fer eludes me.

Langue_doc

Difficult words, a few plurals and one singular (this one should be intuitive). I found the pangram by playing around with word combinations. I've been pleasantly distracted by my book discussion group today, so don't know if I'll have the energy to get to QB. As for LB, it's a 3-fer.

ab_grp

After comparing bee lists, we got to within one word but had to run the program to find it.  Husband actually tried the word but had spelled it wrong.  So close! I actually got the pangram from a book we had read a couple years ago.

As for LB, I have another couple good candidate words but still can't get a second that finishes it off.  Tough couple puzzles the last few days.

Langue_doc

Two-fer finally. Think of Oscar, the Muppet, and What one tends to do this time of the day, past tense.

ab_grp

Quote from: Langue_doc on December 09, 2020, 09:18:25 PM
Two-fer finally. Think of Oscar, the Muppet, and What one tends to do this time of the day, past tense.

Those were great clues.  Thanks! At least "I" completed yesterday's now.  That's the official solution, too.  Good work! I didn't have any words that were similar to those on my candidate list.

Today's bee is hard! I got to genius +1, barely.  I am either missing a lot of stuff that goes together, or there's still a bunch of unique words left.