News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

LB - Yesterday I had "crowned-damnify." I didn't know that was a word, but I kept seeing "indemnify" and thought "oh heck I'll just try it."

Then I woke up at 3 AM to the new puzzle and found another 2fer pretty quickly. Not as weird as "damnify." I'll keep it.

SB - stuck at amazing yesterday, then looked at the solution today and there were a few words I could have sworn I got. Well, if there was a computer error I'm sure the crowd on the NYT puzzle thread would raise holy heck so it might be ones I thought I got yesterday but didn't realize were on the list.

Today, found a rather strange panagram and am still stuck at great.

ab_grp

Interesting about the strange pangram today, ciao_yall.  I found one that is pretty normal, so it sounds as if there are at least two, which makes sense given the number of points.  Congrats on the 2-fers!

Langue_doc

Had to chip in! Two pangrams today, one run-of-the-mill word, the other related to other words we all know. The words aren't too difficult, mostly good old English words; it helped to come back after breaks. Think variations on numbers. Made it past genius though. Haven't looked at LB.

Now back to my vacation mode. Happy solving, all!

cathwen

Quote from: ciao_yall on December 31, 2020, 09:06:04 AM
LB - Yesterday I had "crowned-damnify." I didn't know that was a word, but I kept seeing "indemnify" and thought "oh heck I'll just try it."

Then I woke up at 3 AM to the new puzzle and found another 2fer pretty quickly. Not as weird as "damnify." I'll keep it.

SB - stuck at amazing yesterday, then looked at the solution today and there were a few words I could have sworn I got. Well, if there was a computer error I'm sure the crowd on the NYT puzzle thread would raise holy heck so it might be ones I thought I got yesterday but didn't realize were on the list.

Today, found a rather strange panagram and am still stuck at great.

I had damnify also for yesterday's LB (with crowded).  Like you, I thought it was weird and was stunned when LB accepted it.  I haven't solved today's LB yet, and I'm stuck at Amazing in SB.  Lange_doc, thanks for the pangram hint.  I'll keep trying! I do have one of them, but the other is still hiding from me.

ab_grp

Yes, thanks for the hints, Langue_doc! I finally got to genius, and after comparing and trying a little longer to get a few more words, we were still about 19 points from QB.  Two of the remaining words were ones I have found before, so I was a little mad at myself about missing them this time.  The final word was so close to so many I tried! Oh well.  Good luck on it. 

The LB solution from yesterday was definitely not in my list or close to it, even though I had 20+ reasonable contenders (I thought).  Maybe today's will be more forgiving.

At least I was able to finish off yesterday's hard sudoku and can now start on today's LB and sudokus. 

ciao_yall

Yesterday

SB - hit "genius" after some help from my friends at the NYT Crossword Puzzle comments. Wow... QB must be elusive. Checking yesterday's official answers I only missed one obvious one (entitle) one mediumly odd one (thine) and ???? (tilth. What the ??? is a tilth?)

LB - didn't get the official answers, but got two 2fers "chunkier-remotes" and "munchies-stoker." Both pretty quickly.

Happy new year everyone, and happy solving!

ETA - almost got a 2fer in LB except for the same side thing. Grrr...

ab_grp

Happy New Year!

I didn't manage to solve yesterday's hard sudoku so still have that up to try again at.  Didn't look at the LB answers, but I only came up with a few contenders that didn't seem to lead anywhere.  Lots of others would have worked if only the same-side rule didn't apply.  I would have gotten away with it if not for the meddling rules!

But I did get to QB by myself today, so hooray.  It's a short puzzle, thankfully.    Yesterday I managed to miss loonie and toonie, which I usually find.  And eolith... I tried eolite and thought I had tried eolith.  Wasn't sure, but it sounded like something.

Parasaurolophus

Didn't make it past Amazing yesterday. Too many words!

Made it to Genius pretty easily today, however, and I'll continue hunting for the QB.
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Hope you had a successful hunt, Parasaurolophus!

I got yesterday's hard sudoku and today's easy and medium sudoku done but am still struggling with today's hard sudoku and LB.  I have some contenders, but no luck yet.   

ciao_yall

ab_grp, same here. Lots of 3fers and good candidate words, but just not coming together.

SB - hit genius.

ab_grp

Yeah for genius!  I had basilisk, blackjacks, absurd... will have to see what the solution was after I (hopefully) finish yesterday's hard sudoku.

Another loooong bee today.  I am at genius (just exactly), but still no pangram.  Husband is close to genius and also has not yet found a pangram.  Time to get on the other puzzles and get back to it later.

ciao_yall

I found blackjack, but not disturb which was part of the official solution. Maybe because blackjack was such a weird word, I didn't try as hard as I could have to find a word that ended with b?

Also had some great combinations with odd letters left: adjust-tailback (no r) and jurist-tailback (no d)

Early on I found jailbirds-stuck which would have been a great 2-fer but for the same side thing.

Onward to today's - looks tricky.

ab_grp

I had blackjack but figured I couldn't find a word that started with k or ended with b, so I figured blackjacks was more likely.  Oops... I should have tried harder on that, too.  Only one contender so far today, and likely not to work given all the odd remaining letters. 

ciao_yall

I have found a few words in today's letterboxed which eat up a lot of letters but don't set up a 2fer. An "e" would really help...

ciao_yall

Found a 2fer!

Still stuck on "great" for SB.