News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Ciao_yall, I hope you get the 2fer!

And Langue_doc, I am rooting for you for QB! I am definitely flagging at this point.  Will try to keep at it given how close.

Langue_doc

ab_grp, hope you made it to QB. There were only a couple of words that I found by playing around with the letters. All the other words are ones we know or have seen on SB. Whew!

ab_grp

Did you make it QB, Langue_doc?  I hope so!! I think from the comments here that you are our best hope.  We gave up.  I gave husband 3 words, and he gave me two, but we got to QB as a team and Alpha + as individuals, so enough was enough.  My two missing words included one I have missed before, and I should have gotten both given that they were variants of words we had.  Only one word in the whole list was what I would consider a "spelling bee only" word that I have never used in real life.  I hope you got to QB!!!!! We should all be pretty happy with our efforts, though.  I'm glad I saw that tweet, because I think I would have just about fallen on the floor if I saw genius at 376 points without warning.  Anyway, my eyes were getting blurry, shoulders hurt.  Tough day.  Wowweewow.  Just think, hopefully no other bee will be this arduous...

Parasaurolophus

Made it to genius and 380 in the end. That may have to do it for me.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Quote from: ab_grp on January 22, 2021, 07:26:06 PM
Did you make it QB, Langue_doc?  I hope so!! I think from the comments here that you are our best hope.  We gave up.  I gave husband 3 words, and he gave me two, but we got to QB as a team and Alpha + as individuals, so enough was enough.  My two missing words included one I have missed before, and I should have gotten both given that they were variants of words we had.  Only one word in the whole list was what I would consider a "spelling bee only" word that I have never used in real life.  I hope you got to QB!!!!! We should all be pretty happy with our efforts, though.  I'm glad I saw that tweet, because I think I would have just about fallen on the floor if I saw genius at 376 points without warning.  Anyway, my eyes were getting blurry, shoulders hurt.  Tough day.  Wowweewow.  Just think, hopefully no other bee will be this arduous...

Yeehaw, yes I did! My last word was concoction--don't know how I missed this one-- and the penultimate one, ovine. The latter and toonie were the only two words that I had to guess. Once I started getting words such as convenient, inconvenient, convenience, inconvenience, and so on, I kept at it, as I thought that given the number of points needed for genius, the words would be relatively easy. It was the most tedious puzzle though.

Congrats on getting to QB as a team. That does count. And a big thanks for the warning about the challenging SB.

As for today, I'm above genius.

I wouldn't have guessed the two words in LB, not even if I had spent all day on the puzzle.

Posted by: Parasaurolophus
« on: January 22, 2021, 10:01:54 PM »Insert Quote
Made it to genius and 380 in the end. That may have to do it for me.

Congrats on making it to genius. As I mentioned above, it was a tedious puzzle.
Congrats too to cathwen and ciao_yall.

Happy solving all.

ETA 138 points so far, familiar words with one exception.

ab_grp

Wow, QB on yesterday's has to be some other title.  I haven't had coffee yet.  Ultimate Bee? Congratulations, Langue_doc! I am so happy one of our group got to QB!!  It's funny what one finally gets or ends up missing sometimes.  I missed innocence (though I had innocent!) and evictee (though I had evict and invitee).  Argh.  I was just too tired to go on.   Husband was peeved to miss cocci, and I know he missed votive, but I forget what the third word was. 

Congrats to you as well, Parasaurolophus!! It was a long haul.  At least today's feels sprightly in comparison. 

Oh the word I mentioned the other day that was suddenly no longer acceptable was "iliad".  Anyone else notice that? It's in my database at least 6 times, but I guess it is no longer allowed.

Didn't really start today's yet, so time for coffee and crosswords and then puzzles.  Oh yeah, absolutely no way on the LB puzzle yesterday! What solution did the solvers get?

Happy solving to all!

ciao_yall

LB The official solution was "hijinks-superb." I didn't even get close, though had a very close 3fer with "jibing-gherkins-sup." It also took "bejesus" and "jujubes" so I declared both a b4ss and Yiddish 2fer with jujubes-shprinking. 

Oddly enough, I recall it not taking "jinks" so I figured it was only taking the "jinx" variation.

On to todays...

Parasaurolophus

Today's Bee seemed so much easier by comparison!
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Yay, did you get to QB today, Parasaurolophus? I think I have about 9 points to go to QB, but at least I got to Alpha.  Definitely a better ride than yesterday overall.   I really wish yesterday's had some more interesting words. 

Good luck on LB, ciao_yall! I'm hoping for a 2fer for you.  I have a couple seemingly good contenders but haven't been able to make mates yet.

ciao_yall

Genius on SB.

LB - some 3fers, a 2fer b4ss. So hope I'm getting close.

NYT and WSJ crosswords done. Almost done on the WSJ variety puzzle but stuck.

I need a:

7 letter word for for "benevolent and sweet natured." Has a C in it. ETA: "angelic"
7-letter, 2-word solution for "Take a risky position on a board." Has an A and a G in it. ETA ^2 "hang ten"

I can't really tell you the positions because it's a circular puzzle and I'm not sure where the words start and end.

DONE!

cathwen

Well, I finally made QB today!  This is a first for me. 

But Langue_doc, getting QB on yesterday's--which was so much longer and more arduous--is a stupendous achievement!  Congratulations! 

And I got yesterday's LB (the official solution), but today's is just not happening.   

ciao_yall

ab_grp

Congratulations on your QB today, cathwen! A fantastic first to celebrate! And good luck to you and ciao_yall on the LB. 

We decided to compare bee lists since we were both at Alpha +.  I was missing one word which, naturally, I should have gotten.  But I am not sure I would have.  Husband was missing a couple that he also feels he should have gotten.  Oh well, we gave a lot to yesterday's, so better to take it easier today.   At least I had success on all three sudokus! Looking forward to the next set and will continue on with LB.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: cathwen on January 23, 2021, 01:30:04 PM
Well, I finally made QB today!  This is a first for me. 

Wow, congratulations! Once you break the ice, you start getting it more often.

(And congratulations to everyone who made it yesterday, too!)
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

QB today; my last word was a past tense. Tomorrow's crosswords and sudokus are out.