Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Inhale Thread !

Started by mamselle, June 14, 2019, 06:11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

I'm just...happy...

;-}

Where and when else in the world does one get to sit and listen to a pretty-good, cooperative, sweet, diligent student play almost-all-the-way-through the Moonlight Sonata (all 3 movements, nearly--1 page to go reading through it...) and feel like, "At least for this little space in time we're both doing the thing we most want to be doing at the time we can, in the setting we can, with some measure of grace and purpose?"

Blessed bliss.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ergative

That's lovely, mamselle. I had one of those moments too, yesterday, although less musical. A student who's doing her summer master's project under my supervision dropped by my office to get trained on using some equipment, and she brought me treats from Kuwait, where she was visiting home this month (lots of cardamom!), and she showed me her progress on the project, and she's so bright. She chose a really ambitious topic that requires a lot of skills she didn't have the coursework training for, but she's been teaching herself the skills, and the things she did have coursework in she's mastered brilliantly, and I kind of wish she wanted to do a PhD with me, because she's so enthusiastic about the research, and so competent, and I selfishly want to keep her around my lab.

I'm also inhaling because a big financial/tax thing that was threating to become a nightmare suddenly worked itself out like magic, and will probably be resolved to my extreme benefit by the middle of next week.

mamselle

Thanks, and--those are both great!

I hope you find a way to keep in touch with your student under all conditions, I bet she appreciates your interest in her work as well.

And I hope the "good resolution" allows you to do something fun and relaxing as well, soon!

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ergative

I got a quote for moving service today, and even with full packing cost it's less than I expected. I've done so many moves cross-country and cross-ocean that a simple intra-city move is--well, not peanuts, but well within my budget.

Full packing! What luxury!

apl68

Congratulations, ergative!
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

Puget

Got the official notice of award on my first funded R01 today-- It has been a long (long!) time coming!
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

mamselle

Vkw10

Quote from: Puget on June 15, 2022, 03:07:51 PM
Got the official notice of award on my first funded R01 today-- It has been a long (long!) time coming!

Congratulations!🎈
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

evil_physics_witchcraft

ergative

My first PhD student just passed her defense! Some extensive corrections were required (and rightly so), but (to be honest) I had my doubts about her the whole way through, so I'm absolutely thrilled.

apl68

Quote from: ergative on June 30, 2022, 08:39:24 AM
My first PhD student just passed her defense! Some extensive corrections were required (and rightly so), but (to be honest) I had my doubts about her the whole way through, so I'm absolutely thrilled.

That must be exciting!  Congratulations!
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Puget

Quote from: apl68 on June 30, 2022, 09:32:53 AM

Congratulations! I had my first last summer, and it was definitely an "I guess I'm really a grown-up professor now" moment. That one was a breeze-- star student. I have my second this summer, and while she is solid she is really behind on finishing, so it is going to be quite the race to the finish line.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Harlow2

Quote from: Puget on June 30, 2022, 12:22:46 PM
Quote from: apl68 on June 30, 2022, 09:32:53 AM

Congratulations! I had my first last summer, and it was definitely an "I guess I'm really a grown-up professor now" moment. That one was a breeze-- star student. I have my second this summer, and while she is solid she is really behind on finishing, so it is going to be quite the race to the finish line.

So nerve-wracking at times, and so, so rewarding when they finish.

apl68

Several thousand dollars in funding unexpectedly came through for a very beneficial early literacy program that we've been running through our library.  Now I don't have to worry about supporting it through the end of this year.  Which is good, since enrollment in it has been on the rise in recent months.