News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Inhale Thread !

Started by mamselle, June 14, 2019, 06:11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Yippeeeee!!!

Excellent news, and well-deserved, it's clear.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

traductio

Yay! My MA student who has written his thesis in French while confined at his home in China (I, in Canada, have only ever met him by Zoom) has passed his defence! It was an exceptionally ambitious thesis, and while it had its problems, his committee saw the value of his ambition and, more important still, his willingness to take intellectual risks.

Now for the corrections... (Also, I imagine he's headed off to bed -- there's a 12 hour time difference between here and there.)

mamselle

Wow, impressionante.

Whenever I write in French, I make sure to have an editor vet it. That takes a lot of courage, to do it oneself.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

Congratulations!  Sounds like a remarkable student.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

traductio

Quote from: mamselle on July 12, 2022, 08:35:30 AM
Wow, impressionante.

Whenever I write in French, I make sure to have an editor vet it. That takes a lot of courage, to do it oneself.

M.

He might still need an editor! Mais à part ça, oui, c'est impressionnant.

traductio

Just discovered that my faculty union has negotiated special rates for car rentals and saved myself $1,000 (no exaggeration!) on our upcoming trip to visit family for the first time since pre-pandemic days.

That helps take the bite out of the plane tickets, which were ouch (even for a short direct flight that avoided hell's the Toronto airport).

mamselle

Quote from: traductio on July 12, 2022, 10:26:06 AM
Quote from: mamselle on July 12, 2022, 08:35:30 AM
Wow, impressionante.

M.

He might still need an editor! Mais à part ça, oui, c'est impressionnant.

Yep, for reasons like that double 'n' I missed...

;--》

And--Glad to hear the trips costs were reduced!

M.

apl68

Last month during a regular eye exam the doctor found a small hemorrhage inside one eye.  He told me to come back in a month to check again and see how that had developed.  I had the second check yesterday.  The hemorrhage was gone.  Apparently it fixed itself.  My eyesight remains awful, but I've still got it and it looks like I'll get to keep it for the foreseeable (so to speak) future.  Very thankful for the good news.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

ab_grp

That's wonderful, apl68!

ergative

I had to get a cavity filled yesterday, and I really, really like my dentist: He's so nice and encouraging and reassuring about everything, and the whole visit went smoothly and uneventfully, and the office is a short walk from campus and everything is very convenient.

I've always kind of crossed my fingers and hoped for the best as far as my teeth were concerned, because it's always such a hassle finding new care providers every time I move. But for the past eight years or so, vsions of progressive, silent decay have been lurking in the back of my head and haunting me with every year that passes. So now it's a very nice feeling to know that (1) the ol' chompers are all set up and good to go now, nothing more needed but regularly 6monthly visits, and (2) I have a regular dental care provider that I know and like.

evil_physics_witchcraft

I bought a NEW (to me) used CAR!!!!

mamselle

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on August 04, 2022, 01:24:51 PM

Wow, that was fast!

Good for you.

M.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: mamselle on August 04, 2022, 01:31:37 PM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on August 04, 2022, 01:24:51 PM

Wow, that was fast!

Good for you.

M.

It had to happen. My other car is 20+ years old and was having overheating issues that were not fixed by standard procedure, so it may be the head gasket. If that's the case, then usually you just drop in a new engine. I decided to pull the trigger and get something that will be, hopefully, more reliable.

ab_grp

I'm glad you were able to find a car, EPW! Congratulations!