News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Inhale Thread !

Started by mamselle, June 14, 2019, 06:11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Quote from: apl68 on August 08, 2022, 09:47:21 AM
The family and church members back home held a surprise 79th birthday party for my mother on Saturday.  I only found out about it while home visiting them the weekend before, having swung by for the weekend after attending a professional conference.  Despite all the subterfuge, Dad still had to tell her about the surprise that morning to keep her from spending the whole day taking care of flower-watering and other business.  She was still surprised to see when they pulled up at the church that I had driven in for the afternoon.  My brother, who lives several states away, was unable to attend, but did call that day.

Although we didn't have a lot of people there, it was quite nice, and I got to see a couple of family members I hadn't seen in a good while.  Those who prepared the event made it a nice little occasion.  People really think a lot of Mom.  I've always been thankful for both of them.  It was well worth a five-and-a-half-hour round trip.

What a thoughtful thing for them to have done.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

paddington_bear

Quote from: AmLitHist on August 08, 2022, 07:18:47 AM
Our whole service week (fall and spring) is mandatory. If we don't show/aren't seen, we have to take a sick/personal leave day. I wouldn't mind as much if anything were actually accomplished that couldn't be easier (and better) done via email.

Fortunately, we don't have "service week." The president's address ends up being recorded anyway, or the text is at least released. The division meetings often aren't, but word occasionally gets around regarding the content (and tone) as well. I used to go to these things because of some esprit de corps or something (and to see people I haven't seen all summer), but there's better use of my time.

paultuttle

My new bicycle--my first new bicycle since 1999--is a cadet blue/gray Co-op ADV 1.1 XL with black trim, one of the last ones built. It came with front and rear racks, cable-actuated hydraulic disc brakes, and bar-end indexed shifters. I'll add pedals, a bell, a kickstand, front and rear lights and fenders, and matching panniers/bags. I'll probably also wear one of those orange vests, a rearview mirror, and a GoPro attached to my helmet whenever I go out, considering.

It is absolutely the smoothest bicycle I've ever ridden. Remember those early to mid-1970s land yachts that had those remarkably cushy suspensions? This bicycle's like that: heavy and smooth in an indescribably luxurious way, while being capable of going seriously long distances. But also really fast off the line, as I found out today during my (second) test drive when someone in an enormous SUV nearly rear-ended me at a four-way stop.

I'm truly going to enjoy losing my Pandemic Pounds (tm) on this bicycle! Woo hoo!

mamselle

I'd need to fix the tires, but I still have my 1973 Gitane Tourister bike from Rotterdam.

Have fun!!!

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ergative

We've closed on our new home. Finally. God-awful lawyers finally got their act together ONE DAY before agreed upon move-in. Good grief. But it's ours! We are home-owners!

Puget

Quote from: ergative on August 10, 2022, 05:27:36 AM
We've closed on our new home. Finally. God-awful lawyers finally got their act together ONE DAY before agreed upon move-in. Good grief. But it's ours! We are home-owners!

Congratulations! It really is a nice feeling.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

evil_physics_witchcraft

Congrats!

arcturus

Congratulations! Welcome to home ownership!

My one piece of advice: if you are planning on painting most of the rooms, try to do that *before* you move your furniture into the place. Also helpful to do so before you acquire (or move) a furry creature that might brush up against the freshly painted walls.

ergative

Quote from: arcturus on August 10, 2022, 07:47:47 AM
Congratulations! Welcome to home ownership!

My one piece of advice: if you are planning on painting most of the rooms, try to do that *before* you move your furniture into the place. Also helpful to do so before you acquire (or move) a furry creature that might brush up against the freshly painted walls.

Actually, one thing that struck us when we viewed it was how beautifully everything was already painted, so no worries there.

ab_grp

Congratulations, ergative! It somehow always surprises me how many snafus happen in these deals, even when they are fairly (or very) routine.  It's not like it's their first time, is it?!!  Sorry you had to go through that, but I'm so glad you are done and don't have to paint, either!

Harlow2

That's great; it often takes a deadline for everyone to push forward.

poiuy

Excellent update, e_p_w! 
Wish you a healthy and happy life in your new house.

mamselle

Wow, a car and a house, just like that?

Excellent work.

Very glad for you all.

M.

Larimar

apl68

Congratulations!

Looks like several people here have been breathing better lately.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all