News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Inhale Thread !

Started by mamselle, June 14, 2019, 06:11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmLitHist

The Saga of the Foot is done.  The podiatrist released me yesterday from my injury and post-op care (though I have to start other treatments for diabetes-related issues in a few weeks). Now I have to figure out what kind of new shoes to get that will meet his guidelines that will also fit my post-op foot, but that's a nice place to be after 8+ months in a boot.

(Still seeing the wound-care doctor til all the incision is closed, but we're getting close on that score, too.)

mamselle

Yea!

Will you write it up in Icelandic verse forms, like Longfellow?

Glad to know there's progress.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ab_grp

Congratulations, ALH!! That must be quite a relief, to at least have the foot chapter closed.  I hope you find some shoes that work well for you.

evil_physics_witchcraft

ergative

Hurrah for mobility! Fingers crossed the rest of the incision healing proceeds without incident.

Larimar

Langue_doc

ALH, that's good news. Hope you find shoes that are comfortable.

AmLitHist

Thanks, everyone--I whined so much about this since December that I owed you all the good news!  :-)

ab_grp

Empty nest 2.0 has begun! Unleash the disco ball! I actually feel like I'm holding my breath more than inhaling, but I'll get there.

mamselle

Ah, the fledglings have fledged?

Safe journeys, all.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ab_grp

Thanks, mamselle.  The journey to campus went well despite weather worries and an early drive, so that's a good start and is one less thing to hold my breath about.

Puget

My PhD student passed her dissertation defense with flying colors today (no revisions)! It hasn't always been an easy road with her, but in the end she really pulled together a hugely impressive dissertation and defense (and I think even enjoyed the discussion). We had one celebration afterward with everyone who attended and will have another for the lab at my house Monday. I'm relieved and so very proud of her.

I'd really like a day to relax after helping her prep her talk intensively over the last week, but instead will be leading an orientation program tomorrow straight through until noon Sunday, so I have to re-muster my energy and switch gears to helping anxious freshlings adjust. The cycle of academic life I guess. . .
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

paultuttle

Late to the party, but so glad to hear your foot is better, ALH! I hope you continue to get better.

ergative

Quote from: ergative on May 12, 2022, 01:23:57 PM
Update 2: They art department provided some very nice, seasoned, uncut quills, so I was able to cut more myself. They're much better than seagull quills (seasoning will do that!), and I'm very happy with the results.

But perhaps this should go in the vinhale thread, because I've been called to the studio for two days now, and they still haven't managed to film any actual calligraphy! Occasionally we get as far as being called to the set to set up lighting, but then they need the camera somewhere else, or the director has second thoughts, and nothing happens. they'll be in touch when they've rescheduled the shoot later, but I'm wondering whether it's actually going to happen.

At least I still got paid for the two days.

Good grief, they actually got in touch to shoot the scenes! I long ago got rid of the documents they gave me to practice on (although I did keep the quills), because I assumed that the whole thing was scrapped. Huh. Well, at least my fingernails are in pretty good shape at the moment. Let's see if I can keep them that way until the end of this month.

Larimar

For the first time this quarter, I have gotten through an entire week without having to call IT to fix any technology!