News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Words that could be used more frequently

Started by dismalist, October 02, 2020, 02:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dismalist

There's a "Trendy words I don't like thread". It has been pleasing to see that there was hardly any disagreement about the validity of the posted words.

But there are words -- pithy or evocative or otherwise memorable -- which could be used more.

I just came across "baffled", which I've always liked when I've heard it, but has not been part of my active vocabulary.

It very much beats the "I'm confused", said with an emphatic undertone that implies that  my confusion is your fault!

Has anyone else come across words like that? Which words?

That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

mamselle

Covalence.

Coherent.

Cogent,

Calm.

(I'd like the things they represent to be around more, so we'd have more cause to use just those words to describe them, actually).

M.

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

Quote from: dismalist on October 02, 2020, 02:38:56 PM
There's a "Trendy words I don't like thread". It has been pleasing to see that there was hardly any disagreement about the validity of the posted words.

But there are words -- pithy or evocative or otherwise memorable -- which could be used more.

I just came across "baffled", which I've always liked when I've heard it, but has not been part of my active vocabulary.

It very much beats the "I'm confused", said with an emphatic undertone that implies that  my confusion is your fault!

Has anyone else come across words like that? Which words?

I used "baffled" only moments ago.  I'm baffled as to what happened to that book on ancient Rome that I returned months ago--physically brought it back to the library--only to have it disappear into thin air.  I was just reminded that the missing book is still on my library account.  Kind of embarrassing when you're the librarian....
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

I'm baffled at what happened to a truly important book I got in 1973 that was signed by the author that I would have NEVER lent out.

It disappeared 20 years ago and I still can't find it....

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Vkw10

Somewhat. Rather. Prefer.

I'm sorta somewhat tired of fish.

I'm kinda rather frustrated with contradictory guidance on this virus.

I would kinda like prefer people to omit the modifier, but I'm sorta resigned to unnecessary modifiers.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

ergative

Residual
Eponymous
Intemperate
Contiguous

I think I might just like the prosodic da-DUM-da-da of the stress patterns. (What is that called? Wikipedia suggests that it is a 'secundus paeon'. Is that right, oh metrical experts?)

financeguy

I noticed how often Trump uses overrated when critiquing someone, one of his few vocabulary habits one could do well to adopt. If a person has high credibility and success such that your attempt to critique them will likely move no minds, call them overrated. It's persuasion gold since it's almost impossible to argue against the fact that anyone highly regarded isn't overrated.

apl68

Now baffled again.  We have a staff member who's quite good at math in the abstract, but seems altogether incapable of making changing and keeping proper track of the cash drawer.  What's going on here? 
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

marshwiggle

Quote from: apl68 on October 03, 2020, 07:46:28 AM
Now baffled again.  We have a staff member who's quite good at math in the abstract, but seems altogether incapable of making changing and keeping proper track of the cash drawer.  What's going on here?

This sounds like a distinction between "math" and "arithmetic". Being good at one doesn't automatically mean being good at the other.
It takes so little to be above average.

Larimar

Quote from: ergative on October 03, 2020, 01:34:25 AM
Residual
Eponymous
Intemperate
Contiguous

I think I might just like the prosodic da-DUM-da-da of the stress patterns. (What is that called? Wikipedia suggests that it is a 'secundus paeon'. Is that right, oh metrical experts?)

Oh, I like those words.

Your metrical pattern looks like a dactyl with a previous unstressed syllable from the preceding dactyl. I tried looking it up as you have it, and I tried looking up secundus paeon, but didn't find it.

Here are some more words:

continual
defenestrate
vibrant
liminal
ostensibly
eclectic

:)

Langue_doc

[quotePosted by: Larimar
« on: Today at 08:35:54 AM »Insert Quote
Quote from: ergative on Today at 01:34:25 AM
Residual
Eponymous
Intemperate
Contiguous

Oh, I like those words.

Your metrical pattern looks like a dactyl with a previous unstressed syllable from the preceding dactyl. I tried looking it up as you have it, and I tried looking up secundus paeon, but didn't find it.

Here are some more words:

continual
defenestrate
vibrant
liminal
ostensibly
eclectic

:)][/quote]

Eclectic is one of my favorite words.
Here are others:
inadvertent/inadvertently
deliberate/deliberately
imprudent
inauspicious
dispossessed
iambic

On edit: couldn't get the quote function to work

Myword

in public discourse, not academic)

precarious,caused,probability

some  ---- People disagree and argue because they mean some, not all.

RatGuy

Thanks to Meville, I know that gurried means "covered in fish slime."

Vkw10

Egregious
Morose and lugubrious
Cockamamie
Fractious
Ebullient
Cordial (not in reference to a beverage)

Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)