News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Words that could be used more frequently

Started by dismalist, October 02, 2020, 02:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

hmaria1609

Quote from: apl68 on October 05, 2020, 07:28:34 AM
Defenestrate
An all too common occurrence on "Game of Thrones," for those who watched the show or knew someone who did.  :D

Dismal

Discernment.

I do think I might try to use Baffled in my next faculty meeting.

Anselm

An English teacher recently praised me for using ebullient in a sentence.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

ergative

My mother was once womanning a stall at a college fair at my sister's high school. While talking to a prospective student, she used the term 'ludicrous'. The prospective student said, 'Oh, you must be [sister]'s mother.'

apl68

I was once surprised when grading an undergrad paper to see the student use "crapulent."  And he used it correctly!
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

paultuttle

Langue_doc

Parasaurolophus

Forthwith

Quote from: dismalist on October 03, 2020, 04:11:54 PM
I love all this stuff! I've known all the words, save one, but do not use all that many talking and writing.

The one new word I learned is gurried:

QuoteThanks to Meville, I know that gurried means "covered in fish slime."

Can't wait to use it :-)

Wow, that's a keeper!

(Any bets on whether the Spelling Bee accepts it?)
I know it's a genus.

saffie

fallacious   

(heard in an MIT OCW lecture on probability)

aside

Specious.
Disingenuous.
Prevarication.
Duplicitous

(Something about election season ...)

RatGuy

My wife went through a Wilkie Collins phase, and would occasionally try to bring back such phrases as "bitch the pot" and "a case of the morbs."

I learned the term "shallowpate" recently -- in the most recent Barbara Kingsolver novel, maybe?

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: saffie on October 06, 2020, 05:05:39 PM
fallacious   

(heard in an MIT OCW lecture on probability)

I hear that one all over the place, and it's almost always misused. Much like 'valid' or 'invalid', 'sound', and 'begs the question'.
I know it's a genus.