News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Colleges in Dire Financial Straits

Started by Hibush, May 17, 2019, 05:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hibush

Quote from: treeoflife on March 29, 2024, 12:36:33 PMYet another closure

https://wgntv.com/news/chicago-news/completely-devastated-oak-point-university-abruptly-closing/

Oak Point was betting on nursing, which is a common high-demand program that costs a lot more to deliver than schools realize. But Oak Point has been in nursing a long time. Their downfall was probably associated with the recent switch to being a university. Another stretch that is often beyond the reach of small schools. That followed by a major rebranding mid-pandemic.
QuoteOak Point was founded in 1914 as the West Suburban Hospital School for Nurses. It was named Oak Point University in 2021 after 11 years as Resurrection University.

I think "Resurrection" is a great brand for a nursing school. Too aspirational?
Happy Easter!

Langue_doc

Quote from: treeoflife on March 27, 2024, 11:26:17 AM
Quote from: selecter on March 26, 2024, 01:15:46 PMBirmingham-Southern.

https://www.al.com/educationlab/2024/03/birmingham-southern-college-will-close-may-31-as-loan-bill-fails-to-gain-support.html

I hoped they will survive. Another HBCU closes.

Seems to have been mismanaged for decades.
QuoteBirmingham-Southern College to Close After Failing to Secure State Loan
After decades of financial mismanagement, the nearly 170-year-old private liberal arts school is set to close at the end of May.

selecter

If I had a nickel for every school that I've heard say "We're gonna turn it around with our new nursing program," I'd have two dollars and 35 cents.

treeoflife

I think the solution for many is to rethink degree structure. The three year degree makes the most sense to me as someone that came from a European based program: https://www.yahoo.com/news/utah-public-colleges-try-three-160000278.html?guccounter=1

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: treeoflife on March 31, 2024, 03:16:03 PMI think the solution for many is to rethink degree structure. The three year degree makes the most sense to me as someone that came from a European based program: https://www.yahoo.com/news/utah-public-colleges-try-three-160000278.html?guccounter=1

These degrees are essentially just eliminating electives.

I found this comment from "Bunny" on the linked article.

QuoteDegrees should be 90 credits in the first place. Unless it's your field/major, it's utterly pointless to force students to do two composition, science, and US history courses. Electives are literally a hobby scam that people can learn for free from YouTube. Don't get me started on the foreign language requirement garbage. The "well rounded education" argument is to aggressively extract funds from people, putting them further in debt. And the argument is useful for people who've already been abused by the educational system but want others to suffer as well.

"Kristi," on the other hand, posted this:

QuoteThey have to make degrees easier, because the students are all tardy.

And "Miss Kitty" posted this:

QuoteIf you're going to lower the degree credits by that much, you better have high admission standards. I know everyone complains about Gen Ed requirements, but you'd be surprised how many students can't master some of basics (reading, writing, math) when they arrive.

Seems to be what people here have been saying in one form or another.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Hibush

Quote from: treeoflife on March 31, 2024, 03:16:03 PMI think the solution for many is to rethink degree structure. The three year degree makes the most sense to me as someone that came from a European based program: https://www.yahoo.com/news/utah-public-colleges-try-three-160000278.html?guccounter=1

The three-year degrees being discussed in Utah and Idaho are proposed to be called Bachelor of Applied Studies. The one in Idaho was in business. They could make sense for a specific audience. The applied business degree could be good prep to be assistant manager at the local grocery store, for instance. Neither the student nor the employer really cares if they have a general education (though the skills Miss Kitty sees as missing would still be necessary.

As it happens, I know Sonny Ramaswamy, who is now head of the Northwest accredittor that is considering this degree. He is prepared to make new things happen if they make sense. He aims high and doesn't support flaky stuff.

This degree makes more sense than a nursing program for helping the school's finances. It can use existing resources while adding students who otherwise would not attend. It could be offered at existing community colleges and small regional public colleges that are particularly vulnerable to demographic changes.

apl68

Quote from: Hibush on March 29, 2024, 02:26:45 PMI think "Resurrection" is a great brand for a nursing school. Too aspirational?

That occurred to me as well.  Seems like they're promising an awful lot there....
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

spork

St. Augustine's University has put classes online for the rest of the semester and most students have been sent home.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Hegemony

I see St. Augustine's has a graduation rate of 18%. Yikes.

apl68

Quote from: spork on April 01, 2024, 10:54:13 AMSt. Augustine's University has put classes online for the rest of the semester and most students have been sent home.

Still another HCBU is now going out of business.  And another abrupt collapse that leaves everybody hanging.  Some doomed schools at least manage an orderly shutdown to finish out the school year properly.  I wonder if their staff and faculty are at least going to get paid?

I noticed one news story mentioned that alumni have begun passing the hat on the school's behalf.  That's a touching gesture, but it's hard to see it helping much at this point.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Hibush

Quote from: apl68 on April 02, 2024, 07:14:23 AM
Quote from: spork on April 01, 2024, 10:54:13 AMSt. Augustine's University has put classes online for the rest of the semester and most students have been sent home.

Still another HCBU is now going out of business.  And another abrupt collapse that leaves everybody hanging.  Some doomed schools at least manage an orderly shutdown to finish out the school year properly.  I wonder if their staff and faculty are at least going to get paid?

I noticed one news story mentioned that alumni have begun passing the hat on the school's behalf.  That's a touching gesture, but it's hard to see it helping much at this point.

Their accreditor was terminating the school's membership because the finances and financial controls were a mess. The school appealed the termination in February, saying they were not a mess. The appeals board didn't believe it.

It looks as if the end was not sudden, but a consequence of the administration not being able to manage the finances, or perhaps even knowing what that looks like. I suspect people are not going to be paid what they thought was coming.

spork

Quote from: apl68 on April 02, 2024, 07:14:23 AM[. . .]

another abrupt collapse that leaves everybody hanging. 

[. . .]

Birmingham-Southern has been a cesspool of incompetence and corruption for at least the last twenty years. It failed to adhere to basic accounting practices and covered operating losses by burning through its endowment as its enrollment declined. Nothing abrupt about it.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

apl68

Quote from: spork on April 03, 2024, 03:43:54 AM

[. . .]

Birmingham-Southern has been a cesspool of incompetence and corruption for at least the last twenty years. It failed to adhere to basic accounting practices and covered operating losses by burning through its endowment as its enrollment declined. Nothing abrupt about it.

Well yes, the situation has been developing for a long time.  By "abrupt" I meant the suddenness of the final shutdown.  I'm sure those in the know were able to see/should have seen it coming.

So I wonder how much of it was malfeasance and how much simple incompetence?  It can be hard to distinguish the two sometimes.

marshwiggle

Quote from: apl68 on April 03, 2024, 06:38:33 AM
Quote from: spork on April 03, 2024, 03:43:54 AM

[. . .]

Well yes, the situation has been developing for a long time.  By "abrupt" I meant the suddenness of the final shutdown.  I'm sure those in the know were able to see/should have seen it coming.

So I wonder how much of it was malfeasance and how much simple incompetence?  It can be hard to distinguish the two sometimes.

And at what point, after someone has had their incompetence pointed out, does their continuation in a particular course of action essentially become malfeasance? (This includes what the law identifies as "criminal negligence".)
It takes so little to be above average.