News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Cancelling Dr. Seuss

Started by apl68, March 12, 2021, 09:36:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahagonny

She's going to call on quiet people first. LOL. I have found there's a reason some people are always quiet. They aren't doing the reading so they have nothing to add. There's no harm in calling on them though. They should step up to the plate. Engage them; let them see when they need a classmate to come to their rescue. Motivation.
Picture this: a white male decides to be quiet as a mouse in order to get called on more often, which he believes he should, because, being white, he's genetically superior, and being male, he's more mentally balanced than are people who menstruate. And the professor accomodates.

QuoteDubbed "progressive stacking," Candela's policy aimed to "give priority to non-white folks, to women, and to shy and quiet people who rarely raise their hands," the syllabus read.

She's my argument against tenure. Yes, 'liberal' indoctrination.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on February 23, 2022, 07:09:15 PM
Not sure this would be exactly classified as "cancel culture," but it is kind of funny...

SUNY prof rebuked for race / gender "progressive stacking".

I'm kind of curious abut the way in which you think it's "funny". And would it be just as "funny" if the stacking were in the reverse order? ("Regressive stacking?")
It takes so little to be above average.

waterboy

Some of us are quiet because we prefer to hear what other's have to think and say before we offer a contribution. Not that my contributions were always particularly insightful, but this did often prevent me from saying something relatively dumb.
"I know you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure that what you heard was not what I meant."

mahagonny

Quote from: waterboy on February 24, 2022, 06:56:28 AM
Some of us are quiet because we prefer to hear what other's have to think and say before we offer a contribution. Not that my contributions were always particularly insightful, but this did often prevent me from saying something relatively dumb.

Sure, we all see that from time to time, but broadcasting your thought process as to who would you call on first is weird, and more so when your thought process is arbitrary and/or reeking of social justice superciliousness.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: marshwiggle on February 24, 2022, 06:03:47 AM
Not sure this would be exactly classified as "cancel culture," but it is kind of funny...

I'm kind of curious abut the way in which you think it's "funny". And would it be just as "funny" if the stacking were in the reverse order? ("Regressive stacking?")

Oh Marshy, you were doing so well----
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on February 24, 2022, 07:35:42 AM

But seriously, do you think the idea is funny, or is it funny the prof thought it would be a good idea? I'm genuinely curious.

smallcleanrat

I thought Wahoo was perhaps referring to the term "progressive stacking" being funny, not the prof's behavior.

It's not a phrase you see as often as say "reverse discrimination."

But that's just a guess.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: marshwiggle on February 24, 2022, 07:39:39 AM

But seriously, do you think the idea is funny, or is it funny the prof thought it would be a good idea? I'm genuinely curious.

"Ironic" would have been a better choice of words.

I was thinking it was "funny" not in the "ha-ha" sense but in the sense of "look at the reverse of expectations"----the progressive reformist shut down by the rules meant to foster inclusion.

And more power to SUNY.  The prof was wrong.

Langue_doc

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on February 24, 2022, 02:43:58 PM

I was thinking it was "funny" not in the "ha-ha" sense but in the sense of "look at the reverse of expectations"----the progressive reformist shut down by the rules meant to foster inclusion.

Must be something in the water in our state because we have other clueless progressive reformists in our state and city. A suggestion by one of our politicians to rename a post office has been met with outrage because the post office was named for Jeanne Manford
the first parent to march with their child in an LGBTQ parade a half century ago. She went on to found PFLAG, the country's first LGBTQ group designed to build solidarity between parents and LGBTQ children, with support from her husband, Jules.

The progressive reformist's response? It's "typical for elected representatives to consider new names for local post offices".
A name change would "erase our history," fumed former City Councilman Daniel Dromm (D-Queens), who worked with AOC's predecessor Joseph Crowley to name the post office for the Manfords five years ago.

"Is it that she doesn't know our history? Did they not check to see who the post office is named after right now? Does she not know who Jeanne Manford was?" Dromm said to the Daily News on Sunday.

An Ocasio-Cortez spokeswoman said it's typical for members of Congress to consider new names for local post offices and suggestions are being sought for a Corona, Queens, post office as well.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/new-york-elections-government/ny-aoc-queens-post-office-lgbt-20220221-j7grkp4olzc4vfw7hyiji7ksxm-story.html

marshwiggle

This illustrates what John McWhorter means about wishing ideas about discrimination could could go back to about 1992. The people who created those "rules meant to foster inclusion" had the audacity to believe that people should not be judged by external characteristics. Modern progressives would not create laws like that, since they believe it's essential to judge people by external characteristics. At least one of this prof's "academic ancestors", i.e. her supervisor or her supervisor's supervisor, no doubt believed that students shouldn't be discriminated against by their outward characteristics, but alas, they were not heeded.

mahagonny

Quote from: marshwiggle on February 25, 2022, 06:12:28 AM

This illustrates what John McWhorter means about wishing ideas about discrimination could could go back to about 1992. The people who created those "rules meant to foster inclusion" had the audacity to believe that people should not be judged by external characteristics. Modern progressives would not create laws like that, since they believe it's essential to judge people by external characteristics. At least one of this prof's "academic ancestors", i.e. her supervisor or her supervisor's supervisor, no doubt believed that students shouldn't be discriminated against by their outward characteristics, but alas, they were not heeded.

When society's supply of racism has dwindled, the activist needs to get creative to find some more.

Wahoo Redux

Dunno what'yer sayin' thar, Marshy.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on February 25, 2022, 04:09:11 PM
Dunno what'yer sayin' thar, Marshy.

What I'm saying is the laws that caught this prof only existed because a previous generation didn't have the same identity-obsessed view that she and most progressives have today.

Wahoo Redux

downer

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on March 11, 2022, 08:58:29 AM
Sand Diego State Removes Professor Over Racial Slurs

It is of course ironic that Corlett has devoted much of his career to arguing for racial justice. His website https://corlett.sdsu.edu/Corlett/Welcome.html starts off with "Black and American Indian lives certainly matter."
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis