News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Cancelling Dr. Seuss

Started by apl68, March 12, 2021, 09:36:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marshwiggle

A statement from the student group says that Corlett has used a specific anti-Black slur "over 60 times" and criticizes him for using the word "rape" for sexual violence.

This one baffles me. What's wrong with using the word "rape" for sexual violence????

It takes so little to be above average.

mahagonny

Quote from: marshwiggle on March 11, 2022, 10:17:20 AM
A statement from the student group says that Corlett has used a specific anti-Black slur "over 60 times" and criticizes him for using the word "rape" for sexual violence.

This one baffles me. What's wrong with using the word "rape" for sexual violence????

That new rule happened while you were sleeping. Never go to bed and you'll probably be all right.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on March 11, 2022, 08:58:29 AM
Sand Diego State Removes Professor Over Racial Slurs

Yes, as-described that seems rather overzealous. (Note, however, that the article has conflated use and mention of the slurs.)

I suspect, however, that the details we have don't quite accurately describe the case. Corlett just posted an open letter in response, and I have to say that what he says there raises more eyebrows and questions on my end. It's a poorly structured and argued letter, but I guess he's upset, but the way in which he describes what's necessary in his classes sounds off to me. He's leaning hard on the use/mention distinction, but unless he's counting a word's presence on a slide as a mention (and I'm not sure he should), he seems to be mentioning some slurs an awful lot.

Quote from: marshwiggle on March 11, 2022, 10:17:20 AM

If you were asking me, I'd say that rape is a specific kind of sexual violence, but doesn't exhaust the concept; it's sufficient for sexual violence, but not necessary. Plenty of sexual violence isn't rape.

But I have to assume that wasn't the nature of the complaint. So, for once, I'm as baffled as you. For me, that's another indicator that there's more to this story than what's in the public realm so far.
I know it's a genus.

Juvenal

All this, the frothing indignation and high-horse condemnation, make me wonder.  I dunno.  It wearies me.  But, then, I am stuffed with white privilege, etc., so...  I used to think I was m.o.l. liberal, but some of these people (not all), make me wonder how I could stay in the same room with them for long.  Unless the pastries were exceptional.  There you have me.
Cranky septuagenarian

Wahoo Redux

Wonder what would happen if Pulp Fiction were released today instead of in 1994.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

mahagonny

Interesting that while in one arena (Virginia) the social justice elite are saying explicitly that parents should not be involved in the decisions about what the students should (or shouldn't) be taught, and sticking to their guns against pushback, in other places the students themselves, who are younger and less educated than the parents, are saying what they should or should not be taught, and making the social justice elite listen to them instead of rebuff them. Of course where public K-12 is concerned you've already got the taxpayer's money, but the college students can choose another college.

Wahoo Redux

IHE: No Laughing Matter - Free Speech Lawsuit

I have IHE and CHE on my email feeds.  These types of stories are almost weekly now.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on March 15, 2022, 10:02:54 AM
IHE: No Laughing Matter - Free Speech Lawsuit

I have IHE and CHE on my email feeds.  These types of stories are almost weekly now.

When Hiers asked Schmidt what had happened, Schmidt via said via email, "Everyone makes mistakes, and I'm all for forgiveness if actions are followed by honest regret. But you very much defended your actions, and stated clearly that you are not interested in any kind of diversity training."

Probably during the cultural revolution in China some people objected to "re-training" as well.

downer

It's Not Free Speech
Race, Democracy, and the Future of Academic Freedom
Michael Bérubé And Jennifer Ruth
https://www.press.jhu.edu/books/title/12770/its-not-free-speech

I've liked some of Bérubé's past work, so I'd give this a read. I am hoping for a 5 page synopsis though.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

mahagonny

What's this decline of tenure that they refer to? There are more tenured professors than ever before.

Wahoo Redux

marshwiggle

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on March 17, 2022, 09:01:51 AM
IHE: University Allegedly Fired Prof for Inviting Gay Speaker

The most egregious thing about this seems to be this:
Kevin Jacobs, O'Keefe's lawyer, reportedly said that Oklahoma Christian accused his client of gross misconduct, contrary to the mission and values of the university. Jacobs added, "Letting students expect a world where you may be different is the message Mr. O'Keefe wanted his students to hear. That's the message this speaker delivered, not an advocacy of gay rights. Unfortunately, that's not permitted at Oklahoma Christian University today. It cost Mr. O'Keefe his job."

Getting fired for admitting that there are different viewpoints, even without having to endorse them, is kind of the worst of cancel culture.

Langue_doc

Wahoo Redux

We want to fight racism and injustice.

We just don't know what to do anymore.

So we do things like this.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Langue_doc on March 20, 2022, 08:28:50 AM
And now, a petition to cancel the Emmett Till opera, because "it approaches the murder of a Black teenager through the lens of a fictional white woman".
https://playbill.com/article/more-than-8-000-sign-change-org-petition-to-cancel-planned-production-of-emmett-till-opera-its-authors-respond

From the petition:
"If we are going to tell the story of Emmett Till, it should only be from a Black perspective, a Black writer, and [with] permission and approval from Till's family."

So I guess unless and until such an option exists, the story shouldn't be told.....