Main Menu

Cancelling Dr. Seuss

Started by apl68, March 12, 2021, 09:36:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marshwiggle

Quote from: jimbogumbo on March 31, 2022, 01:19:31 PM
Quote from: marshwiggle on March 31, 2022, 12:38:11 PM
Quote from: jimbogumbo on March 31, 2022, 12:29:15 PM
And if you think things have changed that much, remember that police have been exonerated in almost (almost, not all) all shootings of young Black men.

How often are police found guilty in the killing of young white men?

IMO, not often enough. That, however, is beside the point re how Blacks feel in the US, and clearly has no analogue in terms of whites being discriminated against.

If you're going to claim differential rates of criminal actions by police by race of the victim, then you have to have evidence of the different rates. Otherwise you're just making stuff up.

And how people "feel" isn't evidence.

This isn't a debate to me about whether or not we are a racist nation. We were, and things have changed for the better. The discussion has always beeb centered on what problems still exist, and how to make them better.

So is the US no longer a "racist nation"? (And if it still is, then is there any nation that isn't? And is there any finite possibility of enough change to ever happen to satisfy retiring that term, in any country with millions of residents where there will always be some who are obnoxious jerks, even if they represent a small fraction of the population?)

Do you not see that the many of the people that things were done to 50 years ago are still alive? And that even if they think things are better, they still see many of those same things happening now?

By the same logic, you could describe any nation as "a nation of" murderers, pedophiles, etc. because there will always be some of those, and people who have been victims of those things will be acutely aware of it.

It takes so little to be above average.

jimbogumbo

dismalist and I discussed the differential rates of police killings quite some time ago in a different thread. I posted a link to an extensive well-done study, he said it showed no difference in the rates, I pointed out something he had missed. His response was something like "damn, you're right". I'm not making up stuff related to data.

I am not talking about "any country", I'm talking about my own.

Blacks' feelings, in light of the too slow rate of change are precisely the point of how they react.

Wahoo Redux

The info is easy to find, Marshy.

Just remember that black people are only 13.4% of the US population, so the per capita rate of police shootings are wildly out of proportion to the number of citizens.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/585152/people-shot-to-death-by-us-police-by-race/

And how people "feel" is extremely important.  If nothing else, Fat Donny should have taught us that.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on April 01, 2022, 10:07:41 AM
The info is easy to find, Marshy.

Just remember that black people are only 13.4% of the US population, so the per capita rate of police shootings are wildly out of proportion to the number of citizens.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/585152/people-shot-to-death-by-us-police-by-race/

From 2015 to 2022

• Black: 38 per million
  • Hispanic: 28 per million
  • White: 15 per million
  • Other: 5 per million

There are many variables that are important that are needed to provide context, such as location. Also, the number of shootings as a proportion of arrests may be much more relevant.

And the number of unarmed people shot by police is going to be much smaller than this. (And the same rules about context apply.)

dismalist

Quote from: jimbogumbo on April 01, 2022, 07:55:42 AM
dismalist and I discussed the differential rates of police killings quite some time ago in a different thread. I posted a link to an extensive well-done study, he said it showed no difference in the rates, I pointed out something he had missed. His response was something like "damn, you're right". I'm not making up stuff related to data.

I am not talking about "any country", I'm talking about my own.

Blacks' feelings, in light of the too slow rate of change are precisely the point of how they react.

Yeah, that was about 911 calls, which you correctly pointed out were distributed like the racial mix of the population as a whole, whereas I had thought that blacks called 911 more frequently than Whites. The idea for using 911 calls is that the police dispatched do not know the race of the caller ex ante.

The discussion was about the share of crime perpetrated by various races. Thus, if one group were more criminal or violent than another, one would not be surprised if the police were more violent against that group.

QuoteBased on data compiled by the FBI's Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) program, it found that while Black people make up 13% of the U.S. population, they were 33% of persons arrested for non-fatal violent crime (NVC), which includes rape, robbery, aggravated assault, and other assaults. Black people were 36% of those arrested for serious non-fatal violent crimes (SNVC), including rape, robbery, and aggravated assault.
https://www.prisonlegalnews.org/news/2021/jun/1/us-doj-statistics-race-and-ethnicity-violent-crime-perpetrators/

The National Crime Victimization data, which is meant to take care of ex ante bias  are not very different.

Black crime is overwhelmingly Black-on-Black, by the way.

It would be pure happenstance if anything corresponded to the racial distribution of the population.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

mahagonny

Quote from: dismalist on April 01, 2022, 11:09:00 AM

It would be pure happenstance if anything corresponded to the racial distribution of the population.

And lack of diversity.

mahagonny

ciao_yall

marshwiggle

Quote from: ciao_yall on April 06, 2022, 06:55:08 AM
Quote from: mahagonny on April 06, 2022, 06:15:17 AM
If you don't like Kamala Harris' wardrobe, you're a racist.

https://spectatorworld.com/topic/fired-joke-kamala-harris-outfit-wmal-cumulus-cancel-culture/

Kind of a subtly racist joke, not to mention unprofessional.

Only if every possible reference to color must be taken as a racial slur if the color "matches" that of the person. But in that case, countless things would be "subtly racist" in the same way if a person was accused of "whitewashing" some problem if the person was "white". (There are numerous other words with "white" in them; that's the easiest example I could think of. Pesumeably calling any issue "black and white" would qualify as a slur to almost anyone associated with it for the same reason.)

mahagonny

https://spectatorworld.com/topic/fired-joke-kamala-harris-outfit-wmal-cumulus-cancel-culture/

So you must have been really incensed when Kurt Eichenwald of the NYT tweeted 'These trashy, evil, stupid people need to get out of our house', and 'what GALL she has.' Referring to first lady Melania Trump. He was angry because she had redone a garden at the white house.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: mahagonny on April 06, 2022, 09:56:43 AM

So you must have been really incensed when Kurt Eichenwald of the NYT tweeted 'These trashy, evil, stupid people need to get out of our house', and 'what GALL she has.' Referring to first lady Melania Trump. He was angry because she had redone a garden at the white house.

QuoteA group of maniacal left-wing activists who want to chemically castrate children in the name of "gender affirmation" came after me.

You have whining, hysterical, distorting snowflakes there, buddy.

mahagonny

Hmm..pal, she's probably not too pleased with people entrusted with teaching our children inserting themselves into the little one's sexual psyche.

ETA: You know that cliché about 'don't get between a lioness and her cubs' (or even a bitch and her puppies) or some such. Clichés exist for a reason.

Too often the point is not taken that giving your child to someone for educating is an act of trust and that trust needs to be earned. It's a collaboration. Working together for the child's health and future. This is true even if you think the parents are poorly educated.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: mahagonny on April 11, 2022, 04:24:31 AM
Hmm..pal, she's probably not too pleased with people entrusted with teaching our children inserting themselves into the little one's sexual psyche.

And you have a typical propagandist, mahagonny.  You should be smarter.

What is most curious to me is that those people who are the most hateful, the most obnoxious, and the most untrustworthy are always the biggest babies.  Athey is just one whiney bully who starts a fight and then cries to the principal when she gets her ass kicked.

mahagonny

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on April 11, 2022, 03:52:49 PM
Quote from: mahagonny on April 11, 2022, 04:24:31 AM

And you have a typical propagandist, mahagonny.  You should be smarter.

What is most curious to me is that those people who are the most hateful, the most obnoxious, and the most untrustworthy are always the biggest babies.  Athey is just one whiney bully who starts a fight and then cries to the principal when she gets her ass kicked.

Y'all will be crying plenty when November comes.