News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

First world problems! Share them here!

Started by ciao_yall, April 05, 2021, 09:46:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

The road running past the library is being milled and re-surfaced today.  Which is a good thing--kudos to the Mayor for arranging with the state the year before last to make it happen--but it sure does have things jacked up around here at the moment.  Our mail carrier had to park nearby and walk to get our mail to us.  I wouldn't be surprised if we don't have a single patron for the next several hours.  One staff member took a vacation day today--and I think I know why!

I've got to head downtown to a Rotary Club meeting at lunchtime.  I've already worked out a bicycle route that will keep me from having to cross the road at any point.  Parts of the route simply wouldn't have been possible in a car.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

Thursday's_Child

How the heck did I manage to accumulate over 20 gigs of photos???

Juvenal

Quote from: Thursday's_Child on April 04, 2022, 11:17:13 AM

Too many snap decisions.
Cranky septuagenarian

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

the_geneticist

So much construction on campus.  It's good we have money to make these improvements, but there are fewer places to park.
And my building is not on the list of ones being fixed in the foreseeable future even with the many issues (leaking roof, asbestos tiles, non-ADA compliant restrooms, inadequate HVAC, etc.)

Thursday's_Child

Quote from: Juvenal on April 05, 2022, 08:33:39 AM
Quote from: Thursday's_Child on April 04, 2022, 11:17:13 AM

Too many snap decisions.

LOL - But, of course!

Puget

Quote from: the_geneticist on April 06, 2022, 10:55:05 AM
So much construction on campus.  It's good we have money to make these improvements, but there are fewer places to park.
And my building is not on the list of ones being fixed in the foreseeable future even with the many issues (leaking roof, asbestos tiles, non-ADA compliant restrooms, inadequate HVAC, etc.)

Be careful what you wish for. Our building is having basically this list of issues addressed (minus the asbestos, though I would not be at all surprised if that was an unhappy discovery once they start work), and in the process we'll be out of the building for a year (they say 6 months, but we all know this is wildly over optimistic). That mean packing up every single thing in labs and offices and moving to temporarily space in far flung corner of campus which is not convenient to anyplace else we have to go. Also, all the grad students will be in cubicles or open office seating for the duration, which as you can imagine they are just thrilled about. (On the plus side, my temporary office has a spectacular view).
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

the_geneticist

Quote from: Puget on April 06, 2022, 12:43:23 PM
Quote from: the_geneticist on April 06, 2022, 10:55:05 AM

Be careful what you wish for. Our building is having basically this list of issues addressed (minus the asbestos, though I would not be at all surprised if that was an unhappy discovery once they start work), and in the process we'll be out of the building for a year (they say 6 months, but we all know this is wildly over optimistic). That mean packing up every single thing in labs and offices and moving to temporarily space in far flung corner of campus which is not convenient to anyplace else we have to go. Also, all the grad students will be in cubicles or open office seating for the duration, which as you can imagine they are just thrilled about. (On the plus side, my temporary office has a spectacular view).

I've lived through two renovations (grad school, first faculty job).  Not fun, especially since my office & research space got smaller (how? why?).  My huge concern is the this is the ONLY building where we teach the undergraduate lab courses.  We need at minimum 8 "wet labs", 2 "dry/computer labs", and would probably need to cancel anatomy since I don't think there is another space with the proper ventilation & downdraft tables.  As much as the lab prep folks NEED a newer, bigger, better, safer space they will whine about the need to move out the years of accumulated cr@p and act like setting up a teaching lab in another building is like asking them to set it up on the far side of the moon.
A better use of money would be to build a new science building with new lab classrooms.  We have the space.  Then they can tear this one down & start over.  It's a dreadful building.

Harlow2

I keep forgetting to bring the power supply for my laptop home.  My other computer won't work with Outlook mail anymore. Maybe this isn't a problem after all.

paultuttle

Quote from: Harlow2 on April 08, 2022, 01:23:21 PM
I keep forgetting to bring the power supply for my laptop home.  My other computer won't work with Outlook mail anymore. Maybe this isn't a problem after all.

Yeah, I don't think it's a problem with "forgetting." Maybe your subconscious is trying to tell you something about work-life balance. :)

evil_physics_witchcraft

My doctor's office sent in the wrong prescription to my pharmacy. So, I had to use their wonky refill request website because they don't answer the phone. Annoying.

sinenomine

I'm staying at the home of friends while they're away and the cable TV started malfunctioning. After trying to troubleshoot on my own and through the company's automated system to no avail, I called in a technician, who spent three hours today adjusting wiring and replacing all the cable boxes. Everything worked fine after that ... for a few hours. Now it's back to the same problems. Good thing I like books!
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

paddington_bear

Because I've felt so limited this summer (due to illness and domestic construction projects), I've found myself looking at a lot of vacation YT pages. Particularly cruises lately. I wish that I were retired (or independently wealthy) and had more flexibility in traveling somewhere. Obviously, there are still plenty of good places to travel during the breaks, but it'd be nice to be able to go somewhere in September! Or April!

mamselle

There are also some cool Japanese train and ferry trips that are very refreshing and pleasant.

Vicarious travel is a definite joy!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

paddington_bear

Quote from: mamselle on July 17, 2022, 08:42:31 AM

Vicarious travel is a definite joy!

M.

It's a mixed joy! Nice to fantasize but also frustrating and jealousy-inducing!