News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

First world problems! Share them here!

Started by ciao_yall, April 05, 2021, 09:46:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

paddington_bear

Yes, I've spent tens of thousands of dollars in my head!

ab_grp

A few months ago, I posted elsewhere about a new electric toothbrush purchase.  The toothbrush was apparently semi-autonomous (in that it could supposedly order its own replacement parts), which made me nervous.  I finally got up the guts to open it earlier this week because I had limited use of my dominant hand and figured that could help with brushing, but I didn't connect it to my phone through bluetooth so that it couldn't access my credit card and make purchases of its own.  Last night while preparing for sleep, I noticed the toothbrush receiver start counting up as if I were brushing.  I was not.  However, my husband was using his (years older) electric toothbrush.  So, apparently I have to give mine to my personal phone and a line of credit to have it show any allegiance.  My husband has suggested building a Faraday cage.  What's worse is that I had a perfect brushing score, and now my husband has marred it.  !!

apl68

I would not want a toothbrush that thought that it was smarter than I was.  Uppity cars are bad enough.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

ciao_yall

Quote from: paddington_bear on July 17, 2022, 08:34:57 AM
Because I've felt so limited this summer (due to illness and domestic construction projects), I've found myself looking at a lot of vacation YT pages. Particularly cruises lately. I wish that I were retired (or independently wealthy) and had more flexibility in traveling somewhere. Obviously, there are still plenty of good places to travel during the breaks, but it'd be nice to be able to go somewhere in September! Or April!

Mr Y'all loves to watch first class airplane and train videos. He's all about the journey, not the destination.

paddington_bear

Quote from: ciao_yall on July 23, 2022, 08:50:51 AM
Quote from: paddington_bear on July 17, 2022, 08:34:57 AM
Because I've felt so limited this summer (due to illness and domestic construction projects), I've found myself looking at a lot of vacation YT pages. Particularly cruises lately. I wish that I were retired (or independently wealthy) and had more flexibility in traveling somewhere. Obviously, there are still plenty of good places to travel during the breaks, but it'd be nice to be able to go somewhere in September! Or April!

Mr Y'all loves to watch first class airplane and train videos. He's all about the journey, not the destination.

Yes! I watched an Orient Express video that was so nice!!!

poiuy

Trader Joe's has this pernicious practice of introducing some great products, getting patrons hooked on them, then abruptly discontinuing them.

They discontinued my favourite frozen lunch ever!  Boo!  (wails and gnashes teeth). Their other remaining choices are good, but nowhere near as good.

Liquidambar

Quote from: poiuy on July 23, 2022, 10:32:58 PM
Trader Joe's has this pernicious practice of introducing some great products, getting patrons hooked on them, then abruptly discontinuing them.

They discontinued my favourite frozen lunch ever!  Boo!  (wails and gnashes teeth). Their other remaining choices are good, but nowhere near as good.

Yes, they discontinued my favorite frozen lunch back in 2006!  It was tragic.  I still think about it.  Recently they've discontinued my favorite sliced almonds.
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

ciao_yall

We have misplaced our favorite crossword-puzzle-doing pencil.

arcturus

I finally got a response to a doodle poll, but I can't see it because the web browser keeps crashing when I go to the doodle page. If I change to a different browser, the page shows as blank.

ab_grp

Everyone will be relieved to know that I figured out how to sync the receiver to just my toothbrush, and then I got the app, and it kept only my toothbrushing sessions.  I have a perfect record again.  However, the toothbrush now has access to my phone, so if my posts start sounding strange or to heavily promote dental hygiene and a particular brand of relevant products, a Turing test may be in order.

downer

Quote from: arcturus on July 25, 2022, 05:07:03 AM
I finally got a response to a doodle poll, but I can't see it because the web browser keeps crashing when I go to the doodle page. If I change to a different browser, the page shows as blank.

Could you view the info on the Doodle app?
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

arcturus

Quote from: downer on July 25, 2022, 09:13:21 AM
Quote from: arcturus on July 25, 2022, 05:07:03 AM

Could you view the info on the Doodle app?
I did the equivalent - I found a computer with an up-to-date operating system and web browsers that did not crash.

The long version of this is that I need to update the operating system on my preferred computer...but that will break the software I need for my research.  For the moment, I am choosing research software over being able to surf the web (or, apparently, see the results of a doodle poll).

mamselle

Can you get an extra laptop with good memory storage (or an XHDD) to run either the research or the other stuff on, and split the two?

M. 
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Some of the crud (from previous food explosions) on the top (inside) of the microwave fell into my tea water as I was heating it. Ewww. I made tea with the water anyway (don't want to waste water). Guess we need to clean out the microwave again...