News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

First world problems! Share them here!

Started by ciao_yall, April 05, 2021, 09:46:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

I had a horrifying moment this morning after I received a text saying that I ran out of data! I was a little confused since I have an unlimited plan. I think there's a boo-boo somewhere because I tried to contact them and got a message that call volume was high and to try later. Luckily, I rebooted my phone and I have data now.

OneMoreYear

I needed seiten for a recipe. I thought for sure that Trader Joe's would have seiten (nope, apparently just tofu and tempeh), so I next stopped at the fancy Fresh Market nearby, but they did not have the kind of seiten I needed, so I had to drive 20 minutes to Kroger to find it. And then it turns out, we already had seiten in the house. Also, Trader Joe's has not brought back my favorite blueberry coffee.

evil_physics_witchcraft

So, my doctor changed offices. I went to what I thought was the new office only to see a sign on the door that they moved. Ok. So, I went to the new office and was told that no, only one of the doctors moved and that my doctor was in the SAME building she was in originally- just a different office. By the time I got back, I was 30 minutes late and they wouldn't let me see the doc. Note, I had been fasting for blood tests and I could have waited another 2.5 hours to see the doc, but I decided to reschedule.  I had to reschedule my appt. for the end of JUNE.

For some odd reason there were FOUR receptionists behind the counter. Nobody was answering the phone. There was a sign up about them not answering due to high call volume, but the phone wasn't ringing (maybe they turned it off?). I have no idea why, but this morning sure as hell was frustrating and I feel like I wasted my time.

Parasaurolophus

I'm out in the world, and the crotch of my pants tore.
I know it's a genus.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 26, 2021, 12:37:29 PM
I'm out in the world, and the crotch of my pants tore.

Yikes!

I just called my other doctor's office about an order and they closed early! Now, I have to wait until tomorrow. Lovely.

mythbuster

We are booking for a Fall vacation. We want to use our credit card reward points to pay for the hotel. But we need to wait a week for the flight charge to post in order to have enough points for the 4 star hotel that we want. It better not book up in that period of time!

San Joaquin

I just read that Canada is running our of buildable land for pastoral suburban mini-mansions close enough to its big cities.  It was one of those pocket blurbs online.  There was probably more to it in some real article somewhere, but I did not click.

evil_physics_witchcraft

So, it's Friday and I think my order for a re-imaging has been lost in the void. Nobody can find it. The doc said they sent it on Tuesday, but the imaging center doesn't have it. So, they sent it again today- twice. I'm also getting conflicting information from both parties. The imaging center said the doc can just call it in and the doc said they cannot do that. So frustrating.

mamselle

I've been caught in that bind before. (A long time ago, now.)

With a (probably) broken rib (from sneezing while bending over), ice and snow on the ground, three bookbags, and the radiology outpatient office six blocks away from the student health services office. The clinic's MD had written for a chest x-ray, which visualized a different part of the lungs to rule out a pneumothorax. The painful rib was just out of frame for that view and they wouldn't move the cone to where I was pointing to show them where it hurt).

The MD said they could call it in. The radiologist wouldn't take the order over the phone, said they didn't have an RNNP on staff then who was allowed to do it (RNs can indeed take X-Ray verbals, I'd sat at the desk and taken off the order when the same office called it in to a floor nurse in the hospital I worked at before. I also knew how difficult that radiology service was, so it was unsurprising...they were legendary).

I had to walk back to the student services office, get the written script, walk back, and wait again for the new x-ray (which was blurred and inconclusive, and they wouldn't do another. They wouldn't let me leave my bags to return to, either.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: mamselle on May 28, 2021, 03:49:44 PM
I've been caught in that bind before. (A long time ago, now.)

With a (probably) broken rib (from sneezing while bending over), ice and snow on the ground, three bookbags, and the radiology outpatient office six blocks away from the student health services office. The clinic's MD had written for a chest x-ray, which visualized a different part of the lungs to rule out a pneumothorax. The painful rib was just out of frame for that view and they wouldn't move the cone to where I was pointing to show them where it hurt).

The MD said they could call it in. The radiologist wouldn't take the order over the phone, said they didn't have an RNNP on staff then who was allowed to do it (RNs can indeed take X-Ray verbals, I'd sat at the desk and taken off the order when the same office called it in to a floor nurse in the hospital I worked at before. I also knew how difficult that radiology service was, so it was unsurprising...they were legendary).

I had to walk back to the student services office, get the written script, walk back, and wait again for the new x-ray (which was blurred and inconclusive, and they wouldn't do another. They wouldn't let me leave my bags to return to, either.

M.

Mamselle, that sounds horrible! Did you just live with it at the time?

mamselle

I half-taped it (full circular thoracic taping isn't recommended anymore, it can cause a lung puncture or create a "dead space" below the circumference where the lower lungs don't clear fully and get bio-buildups) to stabilize it, and carried fewer books until it healed.

Took about 6 weeks, like most fractures.

It's fine now, and the treatment would have been roughly what I ended up doing for myself, as it turned out. It's also hard to visualize rib fx, they're so small a shadow on the image that even without the "rescript waltz" they might not have seen it....

Still. I avoided that clinic anyway, for other reasons, but we were forced to pay for student insurance, or we couldn't register, so I was stuck with them.

Thanks for asking, though.

M.

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

namazu

I went to clip some dill from the Aerogarden (hydroponic shelf-top grow-light thingy) in the dining room and discovered an ant nursery between the base and the reservoir.  I think insects are fascinating, but ewww.  Clear-cutting of salvageable herbs, relocation of the reservoir outside, mad vacuuming, and vinegar-spritzing ensued.  Now I have to figure out how to get them out of the wall, as they seem to be marching one by one (anti-hurrah!) from under the baseboard.  And probably be more diligent about cleaning Cheerios off the floor immediately.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: namazu on May 28, 2021, 06:50:48 PM
I went to clip some dill from the Aerogarden (hydroponic shelf-top grow-light thingy) in the dining room and discovered an ant nursery between the base and the reservoir.  I think insects are fascinating, but ewww.  Clear-cutting of salvageable herbs, relocation of the reservoir outside, mad vacuuming, and vinegar-spritzing ensued.  Now I have to figure out how to get them out of the wall, as they seem to be marching one by one (anti-hurrah!) from under the baseboard.  And probably be more diligent about cleaning Cheerios off the floor immediately.

Ants are a royal pain in the behind. We have to meticulously clean the area around the cat food bowls, or the ants will jump on any crumbs. Actually, I've just started vacuuming the kitchen floor daily.

San Joaquin

I hear that ammonia confuses their directional signals, and that they dislike mint.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: San Joaquin on May 29, 2021, 12:30:13 PM
I hear that ammonia confuses their directional signals, and that they dislike mint.

I'll have to look into it. We have a lot of mint growing outside.