News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

First world problems! Share them here!

Started by ciao_yall, April 05, 2021, 09:46:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Maybe the mint outside is what's forcing them inside?

;--}

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: mamselle on May 29, 2021, 07:12:30 PM
Maybe the mint outside is what's forcing them inside?

;--}

M.

Ha! Doubt it. I think it's the 'tasty' cat food crumbs on the floor.

ergative

Wall-to-wall carpets are more trouble than they're worth. Rugs are where it's at.

Signed,
Someone with carpet moths

the_geneticist

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on May 29, 2021, 04:59:15 PM
Quote from: San Joaquin on May 29, 2021, 12:30:13 PM
I hear that ammonia confuses their directional signals, and that they dislike mint.

I'll have to look into it. We have a lot of mint growing outside.

Chlorox wipes (or any cleaner with bleach) will kill ants and disrupt the scent trail.

paultuttle

The air conditioning in most places in the summer is too cold.

mamselle

A friend did the "free New Yorker add-on subscription" as a gift.

It comes weekly. I waste spend down time doing the crossword for a couple days.

It didn't appear this week (substitute mail carrier often mis-delivers stuff)

No puzzle, and none of the goofy cartoon captions to guess at.

Boo.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

sinenomine

My cable is out. I don't need to be watching TV right now (conference papers to write!), bu it's the principle of the thing...
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

Cheerful

Quote from: sinenomine on June 11, 2021, 06:08:11 AM
My cable is out. I don't need to be watching TV right now (conference papers to write!), bu it's the principle of the thing...

Hope it's back, sinenomine.  Too bad the companies almost never give a billing credit for such outages.

sinenomine

Quote from: Cheerful on June 11, 2021, 04:06:22 PM
Quote from: sinenomine on June 11, 2021, 06:08:11 AM

Hope it's back, sinenomine.  Too bad the companies almost never give a billing credit for such outages.

It is, thanks. And you're right about the lack of billing credits!
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

mahagonny

I'm paying taxes that fund news that is biased in favor of the party who've gone crazy.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/npr/

AmLitHist

We had to replace Kid #2's window AC today (interthreaduality).

I grumbled a bit until I realized that at least we have the money to replace it; she has an AC to begin with; we have power to run it; and we have a place to live and try to keep cool--all unlike so many others in this area, country, and around the world.

Oh--and the local IGA doesn't have the frozen yogurt on sale in my flavor (blackberry).  :D

PScientist

Quote from: mahagonny on June 12, 2021, 06:33:28 AM
I'm paying taxes that fund news that is biased in favor of the party who've gone crazy.

The bottom line from that page is: "Overall, we rate NPR (National Public Radio) Left-Center Biased based on story selection that leans slightly left and Very High for factual reporting due to thorough sourcing and very accurate news reporting."  That does not support your conclusion.

Anselm

Quote from: PScientist on June 12, 2021, 01:45:49 PM

The bottom line from that page is: "Overall, we rate NPR (National Public Radio) Left-Center Biased based on story selection that leans slightly left and Very High for factual reporting due to thorough sourcing and very accurate news reporting."  That does not support your conclusion.

Speaking of NPR, my local station stops operating in any kind of storm.  I rely on them to provide me commercial free background sound at home.  Then I must endure the torture of their week long pledge drives which are more common than before.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

mahagonny

I could post more about this, but it would considered a thread derail, and it would be blamed on me, not you. Have a nice day.

apl68

Quote from: Anselm on June 12, 2021, 04:11:56 PM

Speaking of NPR, my local station stops operating in any kind of storm. 

Kind of like our internet.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all