News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

First world problems! Share them here!

Started by ciao_yall, April 05, 2021, 09:46:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

I spent an hour and a half setting up 3 slides and removing several more from the slide-deck-to-end-all-slide decks.

Then Ppt refused to save, saying "there wasn't enough space on the disk" even though I'm saving to a hard drive that has millions (literally) of bites (sorry, bytes) left.

Then it went to a white screen, then returned to the original (pre-1.5. hr-work) version and offered to save that.

Much tooth-gnashing has occurred since.

Thankfully I remembered what I had done, created a new file set and just did those slides anew.

But....grrr......Office-----stop nannying!!!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

AmLitHist

Using one of my post-cataract surgery eyedrops/gel looks and feels like putting Elmer's School Glue in my eye.

mamselle

Ooooooo...yuck!

Hope it at least does what it's spozed to do to make it worthwhile...

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

I let my computer update this morning. It became unworkable slow. It still was hours later, but now it froze up and I can't get it to boot properly. Ugh.

I'm gonna have to splurge on a new one already this year. I can't keep dealing with this.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

I've had that happen, and I've had to use my phone to look up what to do to fix it, by update manufacturer and recent date.

The updates sometimes lodge junkware that takes up memory and slows everything down; I can't recall now what it was, but I just had to uninstall some things they'd added (probably playstation-type stuff, which I never use) to get it to behave.

Sorry you're having to deal with that!

M.

Langue_doc

Quote from: AmLitHist on August 15, 2021, 09:52:16 AM
Using one of my post-cataract surgery eyedrops/gel looks and feels like putting Elmer's School Glue in my eye.

Wish I could send you mine (unopened, still sealed extra container). My practice combined three medications in one, so all I needed was one drop, relatively ungluey.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: AmLitHist on August 15, 2021, 09:52:16 AM

Sorry you're dealing with this.

evil_physics_witchcraft

I just noticed that my pharmacy shorted me half a prescription (and I run out in 4 days!). Or maybe I have a house gnome that likes to move things around? Either way, this should be interesting.

dismalist

That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

AmLitHist

Thanks, all--I'm doing fine.  It's just weird to put something like that in an eye! 

I go back Thursday to have the other eye done, so lots more "goo" to go.  But I can see past the end of my nose without glasses for the first time since second grade (well, with one eye, at least for now).

ergative

Happy sight, Amlithist! When my grandmother had cataracts she lost some color acuity as well as sharpness. My mother couldn't figure out why she was wearing these bizarre combinations of lavender and green (or whatever); it turned out that my grandmother thought they were all elegant shades of muted grey. Boy, did her wardrobe get a refit when she got those cataracts fixed! Maybe you should reevaluate your clothes too once you're all-seeing again.

My first-world problem is that my wonderful LL Bean slippers have developed a hole between the sole and outer on the right foot. I've had them for five years or so, and practically live in them, so it's no surprise they're beginning to fall apart. But The left slipper is still fine, I think, and it's not like they need to be waterproof, so I'm probably not going to do anything about them for the next months or years until they're genuinely rags.

I've reflected before that this attitude of 'eh, I can still use it' results in living a life surrounded by items in the ratty decrepitude stage of existence, because that stage lasts much, much longer in an object's lifespan than its 'new enough to work as intended' stage.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: AmLitHist on August 16, 2021, 09:17:51 AM
Thanks, all--I'm doing fine.  It's just weird to put something like that in an eye! 

I go back Thursday to have the other eye done, so lots more "goo" to go.  But I can see past the end of my nose without glasses for the first time since second grade (well, with one eye, at least for now).

That's great!

fishbrains

Our bread machine seems to be failing, so I had to get the back-up one out of the attic. It just ain't easy being me.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

Morris Zapp

Wanted to have coffee on our dock this morning. Tripped on a root and ended up wearing it!

arcturus

I went to the grocery store today. Lots of empty shelves. Do we have a hurricane or other bad weather in our future? Nope. Instead, we had a plague of locusts (otherwise known as students) arrive in our town over the weekend. It is not like the University keeps the arrival date a secret. Every August, our college-town grows by at least 1/3rd of its year-round population. You would think that the local stores would mark that on their calendars and change their orders accordingly.