News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

First world problems! Share them here!

Started by ciao_yall, April 05, 2021, 09:46:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmLitHist

Wow, Dismalist!  I'd have been livid.

Then again, I've been known to walk out of a store when it was clearly too much trouble to wait on me/take my money, because it would have disturbed the cashiers' conversation.

I don't beg anybody to take my money.  I don't demand perfection, but not so much as calling to say a repair person is running late or not going to show up?  Nope. I can find somebody else who will be glad to show up and earn the money.

dismalist

Quote from: AmLitHist on September 01, 2021, 10:59:20 AM
Wow, Dismalist!  I'd have been livid.

Then again, I've been known to walk out of a store when it was clearly too much trouble to wait on me/take my money, because it would have disturbed the cashiers' conversation.

I don't beg anybody to take my money.  I don't demand perfection, but not so much as calling to say a repair person is running late or not going to show up?  Nope. I can find somebody else who will be glad to show up and earn the money.

My favorite t-shirt lettering is: I don't get angry. I get even. :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

mamselle

I worked retail for 6 years. I have no compunctions about interrupting, clearing my throat loudly, and saying things like,

"Are you done yet? My manager would have had my head if I'd taken time to talk to a co-worker rather than wait on a customer."

Much hemming, hawing, apologizing, and (usually) swifter service results.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

the_geneticist

My robot vacuum needs a replacement whisker brush thing.  I know I have one, but I don't remember where I put it.

Anselm

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on September 01, 2021, 09:11:56 AM
I just wasted three hours of my life waiting for a plumber who didn't show up. Had to reschedule. I may just try to take this faucet apart myself and fix it.

A friend once told me that if you want to make good money in life then go into the skilled trades and then actually show up.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

EdnaMode

Now that I'm back to having to wear a mask 6-8 hours a day, I'm getting breakouts again. At least the mask hides them.
I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.

mamselle

Yes, I have to wash my masks every other day, they hold sweat so tenaciously, and grow bacteria so swiftly, it's hard to keep up with.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

The damn garbage company didn't get our yard waste again (I think this is the 4th time). The really annoying thing is that they got our neighbor's yard waste and they're only one house away. And I promise I wasn't hiding it! It was at the end of the driveway in plain sight!

mamselle

Ours has gotten better about not throwing the lids and cans all over the sidewalk (or, occasionally, in the street), but it's still not great.

I know they're in a hurry, and often have cars backed up behind them, honking to get through, so I get the problem, but steadying the thing upright only takes a second or so.

I sometimes think it's a show of pique, or perhaps just true frustration with the job.

It can't be any fun to be out at 6 AM dealing with everyone's smelly offal.

M.

Charlotte

My Apple Watch doesn't seem to be be aware of how much time I spend standing at my new standing desk so I'm not getting credit for all that time spent standing.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: mamselle on September 16, 2021, 08:05:19 AM
Ours has gotten better about not throwing the lids and cans all over the sidewalk (or, occasionally, in the street), but it's still not great.

I know they're in a hurry, and often have cars backed up behind them, honking to get through, so I get the problem, but steadying the thing upright only takes a second or so.

I sometimes think it's a show of pique, or perhaps just true frustration with the job.

It can't be any fun to be out at 6 AM dealing with everyone's smelly offal.

M.

I get it. It's a rough job. The thing is that our company has three separate trucks that each pick up either trash, recycling or yard waste. So, the yard waste truck doesn't have to deal with trash, just all the English ivy that I've been tearing out of the yard. Believe me, if I could compost most of this stuff- I would. I just have so much biomass to get rid of that I've resorted to yard waste service.

ciao_yall

Our new HOA Management Company employees send OOO replies every time they leave their desks. So half my inbox is them reminding me that they are away from their desks.

Langue_doc

The company that sends me CPAP supplies has been calling every.single.day, sometimes more than once, and leaving messages reminding me that it's time to order new supplies. No, you idiots, it isn't time, and besides, all requests have to go through the doctor's office. I'll probably have to threaten to bill them for the time it takes every day to unclog my answering machine.

mamselle

Quote from: Langue_doc on September 17, 2021, 04:43:38 AM
The company that sends me CPAP supplies has been calling every.single.day, sometimes more than once, and leaving messages reminding me that it's time to order new supplies. No, you idiots, it isn't time, and besides, all requests have to go through the doctor's office. I'll probably have to threaten to bill them for the time it takes every day to unclog my answering machine.

Ooohh, now there's a side-hustle that could take off! (Interthreaduality)

M.

ab_grp

Langue_doc, that sounds like the company my husband got his from.  I think they called every single night.  Because his most recent machine has been recalled, he ordered another (from a different company), and that company calls often to update that the new units are not in stock yet, and they don't know when they will be, but they just wanted to check in.  Meanwhile, the company the recall was from sent a replacement unit as well.  So we will be swimming in CPAPs, which I guess is better than the alternative.