News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

First world problems! Share them here!

Started by ciao_yall, April 05, 2021, 09:46:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puget

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on November 15, 2021, 04:39:30 PM
Both of my socks had huge (3 cm) holes in the heels and they both got bigger throughout the day.

Among the emergency supplies in my office is an extra pair of socks. Never go anywhere without an extra pair of socks. Or your towel.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: mamselle on November 15, 2021, 05:46:57 PM
Toe? Heel?

Did you get blisters?

M.

Heels. Actually no blisters. I was running late and threw them on and forgot about them until several hours later when I noticed how large the holes were. The socks were really stretched out, so one of the holes kind of migrated up my leg while the other moved to the top of my other foot.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Puget on November 15, 2021, 06:04:04 PM
Both of my socks had huge (3 cm) holes in the heels and they both got bigger throughout the day.

Among the emergency supplies in my office is an extra pair of socks. Never go anywhere without an extra pair of socks. Or your towel.

That's the funny thing. I HAD an extra pair of socks in my bag, but didn't realize it until the end of the day. Mondays are kind of a whirlwind for me. Yep, need a towel and peanuts.

dismalist

This is the kind of thing that made Charles Dickens, seeing socks with holes in them, washed, on clothes lines in London, take it upon himself to decry capitalism. Had he only bothered to look in the countryside, where people had no socks to put onto clotheslines, he might have written differently. Socks were previously something only the nobility could afford.

Let us be grateful for our socks, with or without holes! :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

dismalist

Quote from: mamselle on November 15, 2021, 06:44:50 PM
Source?

M.

He who seeketh findeth, and to him that knocketh the door shall be opened. Therefore ...

That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

FishProf

My dictation software is slower than I can type.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

mamselle

Quote from: FishProf on November 16, 2021, 07:26:06 AM
My dictation software is slower than I can type.

I hear your pain.

I helped a friend with serious CTS edit her final thesis draft.

She'd dictated the whole thing on Dragon-Sys.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

the_geneticist

My favorite scent of shampoo is out of stock.  There is another scent that is nice, but not quite as nice and I don't want to have different scented shampoo and conditioner.

Langue_doc

Three of the muni meters on the same street weren't working so I left without going to the store.  When I called 311 about the same inoperative meters about three weeks ago, I was told that they needed the meter numbers and not the exact street address to even check the meters.

I just relegated the problem to our local elected rep's office. I am not standing in front of a meter, quarters in hand, bag in the other, writing down the number or taking pictures of the meter.

dismalist

Quote from: Langue_doc on November 16, 2021, 01:27:54 PM
Three of the muni meters on the same street weren't working so I left without going to the store.  When I called 311 about the same inoperative meters about three weeks ago, I was told that they needed the meter numbers and not the exact street address to even check the meters.

I just relegated the problem to our local elected rep's office. I am not standing in front of a meter, quarters in hand, bag in the other, writing down the number or taking pictures of the meter.

Alas, it's a whole world problem, named "bureaucracy".

How better than to have it explained by example of the airport named after Franz Kafka.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEyFH-a-XoQ

That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

jimbogumbo

Quote from: dismalist on November 15, 2021, 06:53:16 PM
Source?

M.

He who seeketh findeth, and to him that knocketh the door shall be opened. Therefore ...

I was so glad when the newer versions used seeks and knocks rather than seeketh and knocketh. Reading and hearing the King James always made me think of Daffy Duck.

Langue_doc

Quote from: dismalist on November 16, 2021, 03:18:49 PM
Quote from: Langue_doc on November 16, 2021, 01:27:54 PM

Alas, it's a whole world problem, named "bureaucracy".

How better than to have it explained by example of the airport named after Franz Kafka.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEyFH-a-XoQ

Ah, bureaucracy. A few weeks ago I had to call 311 to report a homeless person sprawled across a flight of stairs in one of the subway stations. The person I talked to advised me to call the advocate for the homeless and followed this up with an email giving me the phone number of the advocate. No, no, no. You (employees working in the subway stations) are paid to make the necessary phone calls as are the police in the subway stations, whose eyes are glued to their phones. We, the riders are often dealing with long trips, transfers, and slow service. A week later when I saw an individual camped by the entrance to a subway station, happily mxxxxxxxxing, I decided that alerting anyone would be a waste of my time, so kept walking.

mamselle

Quote from: dismalist on November 15, 2021, 06:53:16 PM
Source?

M.

Ummm....that's the KJV, not Dickens....I meant, I don't recall Dickens ever saying that, or writing it, or seeing it said or written of him.

M.

ETA...I guess I'm not the only one.

M.

Oh, and, again ETA:

The real reason I came here was to complain about the blur feature on my Zoom screen.

I have to go back in, un-blur it, and then re-blur it, if I want to hold up a piece of music or my latest teaching aid (a small skeleton, correctly jointed, for showing bone articulations where joint shapes matter for correct playing positions).

I need a blur toggle.

M.   

ergative

My super-cheapo MP3 player (I do not have a smartphone) has decided that sound files which exist in mono rather than stereo format only should play in my left ear. This means that every time I download a sound file in mono format I must run a macro in Audacity to convert it to stereo, which doubles the file size. But whatever. I created the macro, it's fine.

Except I have a whole bunch of audiobooks I got from the library and they're all in mono and I thought I'd run the macro on them but they're still only playing in my left ear and it takes a while to load them into audacity so it's non-trivial to check whether they're mono or stereo before trying to play them and everything is a massive hassle and I just wish that my mp3 player would do the sensible thing and send mono tracks to both ears. Argh.