News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

First world problems! Share them here!

Started by ciao_yall, April 05, 2021, 09:46:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Can you go online and see if you mp3 player has driver options to do the conversion automatically?

If it's older, it may not have been boxed with that option, but a hack or a cheap update might do the trick...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ergative

I think you are vastly overestimating the capacity of my mp3 player. It cost $20 from Amazon and does not have internet access.

mamselle

Hmm....but, do you not plug it into a computer to play things on it?

If you do, it has a driver, somewhere; you just have to enter the brand number and poke around until you find an updated driver (or a work-around on some website, just do a search for "How do I...?") and install that in the computer to tell the tracks to go to both earphone wires.

Or at least, that's how it should work...

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

I'm trying to schedule a medical procedure. My doctor's office put in the wrong order and now I'm trying to get it corrected.

mamselle

Yikes!

Did the error originate with the ordering MD, or the staff assistant who recorded/entered the order in the computer.

Sometimes there's an entering error where the code is off by a digit, in which case they need to trace it back to the originating office.

M.

bio-nonymous

For the first time since the start of the global pandemic, yesterday I could not get a parking spot in my normal lot, or the other two sort-of "close-by" lots. I had to go WAY out into the hinterlands and walk quite a bit to get to my lab. I was surprised at how mad this made me--I thought to myself,"Why can't all you people go back home and work like you have been doing since this all started!" Never mind that I had just become spoiled and entitled, expecting to get a decent spot no matter when I rolled in--it was well-known by me prior to Covid19 that if you didn't get to campus by 8:30am, you would be parking FAR away, no matter what "class" of parking sticker you paid for...

Today was back to normal with plenty of parking--so, maybe, just a one-time aberration?

Hibush

ergative

Quote from: mamselle on November 17, 2021, 03:14:26 PM

If you do, it has a driver, somewhere; you just have to enter the brand number and poke around until you find an updated driver (or a work-around on some website, just do a search for "How do I...?") and install that in the computer to tell the tracks to go to both earphone wires.

M.

My first thought is 'I can't be bothered to mess around with all that!'

My second thought is 'how many minutes have I already messed around with audacity attempting an alternative fix?'

Next time I can be bothered, I might try a quick google.

secundem_artem

Quote from: Hibush on November 18, 2021, 11:41:21 AM
My sushi was warm.

Mine was rather blah as well.  And there was no packet of soy sauce with it.  And not enough gari. 
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: mamselle on November 18, 2021, 08:16:08 AM
Yikes!

Did the error originate with the ordering MD, or the staff assistant who recorded/entered the order in the computer.

Sometimes there's an entering error where the code is off by a digit, in which case they need to trace it back to the originating office.

M.

Not sure. The office said they fixed it, but I'm still trying to get in touch with the scheduling dept. at the hospital.

AvidReader

My mother-in-law just yesterday received a box I mailed her.

I mailed it in late May.

I enquired about it in August, inspiring the USPS to delete all the tracking details from their website.

I'm so, so grateful that she has received it--it included some sentimental items that were not replaceable--but six months is a really long time to wait.

AR.

mamselle

If it's going from, or into, most places in the South, the mails are still suffering from The Carrot-top's inspired sabotage of the sorting machines by proxy.

It was observed last year, when all that was happening/being reported, that parts were literally thrown away, so the machines couldn't be fixed, and budgets cut so they couldn't keep up, thus preventing those scalawag voters who might vote for cucumbers instead of carrots from having their say.

I believe it's one of the things that one of the line items in the infrastructure/other bills are designed to fix, but of course that's still going to take some time...

M.

ergative

Quote from: ergative on November 18, 2021, 12:16:11 PM
Quote from: mamselle on November 17, 2021, 03:14:26 PM

M.

My first thought is 'I can't be bothered to mess around with all that!'

My second thought is 'how many minutes have I already messed around with audacity attempting an alternative fix?'

Next time I can be bothered, I might try a quick google.

In case anyone cares (I do not blame you if you do not) I figured out the problem: Audacity was set to automatically export as mono, so when I ran the macro it inherited that setting. I've now changed the setting and am rerunning the macro, and things are coming out properly.

mamselle

ergative

On 23 December I will need to pay a very large fee to a government organization for a residency application. Last time I had to do this, I needed to call two banks and try multiple credit cards before I found one a means of payment that would go ahead without getting stopped for possible fraud--even after I'd called the bank and told them that the charge was coming through in about five minutes and not to flag it!

So, planning ahead, I called my bank today.

'Hi,' I said. 'On 23 December I am going to be paying a very large fee to the tune of XXXXX moneys to Government Organization. Could you please make sure that your fraud unit does not reject it?'

'Oh,' said the bank. 'No, we can't do that. Fraud checkers will flag it and hold it automatically. You'll get a text on your phone.'

'If I respond to the text immediately, will that ensure that the fee goes through?' I asked.

'Probably,' said the bank. 'Here, I'll put a note on your account. Maybe if the fraud team sees it when the flag goes off they'll approve the charge.'

'Maybe?' I asked.

'Maybe,' said the bank.

Well we'll see what happens on 23 December.