News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

First world problems! Share them here!

Started by ciao_yall, April 05, 2021, 09:46:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anselm

I've noticed another loss of software functionality.  In the past I could share pictures on Facebook by getting a link that could be copied and pasted into an email and then viewed by people with no FB account.  I now see that this feature is missing.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

mamselle

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on January 25, 2022, 08:22:06 AM
Three different nurses had to stick me three different times before finding a good vein in my hand for my medical blood-draw this morning.  It really hurt.

Then the lid almost came off the urine sample as I handed it to the other nurse---that was a close call!

At one hospital I worked at, the Respiratory Therapist was a neighbor, a friend--and the best person at finding a vein in the universe.

We could always tell when the new class of grad hires (who were then usually assigned 'standard stick'em' duties--don't know if that's still true) had arrived because she was being paged all day.

She'd only have one or two RT patients in need of serious care, but she'd be running from floor to floor doing IV inserts until the newbies figured them out.

I told her she should teach a course and charge extra, but of course that wasn't really possible...

M. 
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

the_geneticist

Not sure if this belongs here or in the "herd your cats"
One of our cats was singing the "sad cat song of sadness" in the kitchen.
Mr. Geneticist "why is Lady Jane upset? There's lots of kibble in the dish"
Me "She only likes the heart-shaped pieces.  Better top it off"

First world cat with a first world problem!

smallcleanrat

Quote from: the_geneticist on January 26, 2022, 07:36:25 AM

Poor kitty.

Imagine having to suffer the sight of a dish filled with non-heart-shaped kibble.

filologos

Quote from: Anselm on January 25, 2022, 11:55:12 AM
I've noticed another loss of software functionality.  In the past I could share pictures on Facebook by getting a link that could be copied and pasted into an email and then viewed by people with no FB account.  I now see that this feature is missing.

I just right-clicked on someone's photo (after opening it in the photo viewer), selected "open image in new tab," and copied the resulting link from the new tab. I was able to use that link to view the photo in incognito mode, not signed in to any Facebook account. Maybe that could be a workaround.

Anselm

Quote from: filologos on January 26, 2022, 11:40:31 AM
Quote from: Anselm on January 25, 2022, 11:55:12 AM

I just right-clicked on someone's photo (after opening it in the photo viewer), selected "open image in new tab," and copied the resulting link from the new tab. I was able to use that link to view the photo in incognito mode, not signed in to any Facebook account. Maybe that could be a workaround.

Thanks, but that requires more effort and I am an entitled first world complainer.

My biggest concern was the inability to share an entire photo album.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

the_geneticist

Quote from: smallcleanrat on January 26, 2022, 09:18:36 AM
Quote from: the_geneticist on January 26, 2022, 07:36:25 AM

Poor kitty.

Imagine having to suffer the sight of a dish filled with non-heart-shaped kibble.

It was Most Distressing to the Lady Jane.

ergative

In the five years we've lived in our current apartment, the massive, Ikea-style wardrobe that came with the place has started to fall apart. The particle board in two of the four drawers in one section has lost its ability to hold onto the plastic pins, so the back of the drawers swings freely and cannot anchor the base. This makes the drawers unusable.

I could probably cobble together a fix if I could take the drawer out (I've already done something similar with some kitchen drawers), but the drawer does not want to come out of its runners. I'm still scratching my head over how that's possible--like, how did they get it into the runners in the first place when they assembled it? But meanwhile we've lost a substantial chunk of our clothing storage, and the wardrobe is much too big for replacing it to be anything other than a huge chore that I'm too oppressed by to even contemplate.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on January 04, 2022, 11:41:12 AM
I hate Blackboard.

It is like driving an old station wagon with a bad transmission.

I'm hating on Blackboard even more.

All I want is to access the grading rubric I designed.  Do you think there is an easy button on the grading portal that I can just punch and access the rubric!?

Do you think I could find an easy answer on "Help!?"

Do you think I can design a computer worm that will bring Blackboard to its knees worldwide?
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

OneMoreYear

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on January 26, 2022, 03:18:42 PM

Do you think I can design a computer worm that will bring Blackboard to its knees worldwide?

Can you give the fora a heads-up before you unleash your computer worm so we can plan for the Blackboard blackout?

mamselle

Quote from: ergative on January 26, 2022, 02:39:48 PM
In the five years we've lived in our current apartment, the massive, Ikea-style wardrobe that came with the place has started to fall apart. The particle board in two of the four drawers in one section has lost its ability to hold onto the plastic pins, so the back of the drawers swings freely and cannot anchor the base. This makes the drawers unusable.

I could probably cobble together a fix if I could take the drawer out (I've already done something similar with some kitchen drawers), but the drawer does not want to come out of its runners. I'm still scratching my head over how that's possible--like, how did they get it into the runners in the first place when they assembled it? But meanwhile we've lost a substantial chunk of our clothing storage, and the wardrobe is much too big for replacing it to be anything other than a huge chore that I'm too oppressed by to even contemplate.

Have you already tried all the usual 'lower (or raise) the front end slightly to uncouple the runners' ploys, before trying to lift it out?

They often have an extra catch to keep them from disengaging without warning, and sometimes it takes a bit of jiggling to figure out how the catch is attached and what direction makes it let loose....

I know folks for whom IKEA is a four-letter word...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

FishProf

My school went to SSO for al functions, including Blackboard, which broke the Test Bank uploads I have used for years.  On the 2ns day of the semester.

Great.  Thanks.  I'll just invent a workaround....Grrrr.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: OneMoreYear on January 26, 2022, 04:38:01 PM
Quote from: Wahoo Redux on January 26, 2022, 03:18:42 PM

Can you give the fora a heads-up before you unleash your computer worm so we can plan for the Blackboard blackout?

Of course!  I would never betray The Fora!
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

ergative

Quote from: mamselle on January 26, 2022, 04:53:33 PM
Quote from: ergative on January 26, 2022, 02:39:48 PM

Have you already tried all the usual 'lower (or raise) the front end slightly to uncouple the runners' ploys, before trying to lift it out?

They often have an extra catch to keep them from disengaging without warning, and sometimes it takes a bit of jiggling to figure out how the catch is attached and what direction makes it let loose....

I know folks for whom IKEA is a four-letter word...

M.

The solution, as it turned out, was to unscrew the drawer from the runners. I have now cobbled together a fix for one of the drawers with some brackets leftover from bookshelf hardware that we did not bother to bracket to the wall, no longer living in earthquake territory. However, since this is a fix I've already had to make in two other drawers (our entire apartment is fitted out with particle board drawers that look very nice if you assume that no one will ever want to use them), I am out of brackets. Ah, well. I've ordered more hardware, and at least now I know how to do the fix.

paultuttle

Hackers used a loyalty account to get my credit card number. I'm in the process of learning a rather valuable lesson (to wit, NEVER to say "yes" when fools whose computer security hasn't yet approached the standards of the 21st century ask me if I want to "put [my] credit card on file").

At least my credit card company has an automatic "lock now" function (I just moved the little indicator and received a confirmation email), and their terms and conditions say that I'm not liable for any fraudulent charges. So there's that.

But the fraud department's gone to bed for the night, apparently, so I'll need to call back in the morning and go through a bunch of BS that might take days or weeks to fix merely because some pustulent boil on the ugly rear of a facsimile of an imitation of a caricature of a fake human being got greedy.

(I know, I know, ask me how I REALLY feel . . . .)