News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

First world problems! Share them here!

Started by ciao_yall, April 05, 2021, 09:46:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thursday's_Child

What a pain, paultuttle!

My current problem is with avocados.  The other day the grocery store had the nice tiny ones in bags of six.  They were still hard, so I bought them in full confidence that they couldn't possibly ripen all at once.  Silly me!  Avocado toast for breakfast.  Salsa for snack later today.  What else?  Maybe now being in the 'fridge will help....  OTOH, they are lovely avocados - silky smooth, excellent flavor, and a tiny pit.

ciao_yall

Watched a YouTube video of a guy who flew Air France First Class. Since he was the only one in the cabin he tried all the food and was really full.

Got a stomach ache just watching him.

mythbuster

You can freeze ripe avocados for later! They work very well for guacamole, or other things with avocado mash. Not so well for pretty slices.

bacardiandlime

Quote from: mythbuster on February 09, 2022, 07:35:47 AM
You can freeze ripe avocados for later! They work very well for guacamole, or other things with avocado mash. Not so well for pretty slices.

This is true: I regularly buy them frozen! Hint: the good ones are dusted in ascorbic acid powder so they don't go brown as you defrost them.

Hibush

Quote from: ciao_yall on February 09, 2022, 06:55:28 AM
Watched a YouTube video of a guy who flew Air France First Class. Since he was the only one in the cabin he tried all the food and was really full.

Got a stomach ache just watching him.

I got bumped to business on Air France once. The food was delicious, but I also ate too much.

FishProf

I saw frozen avocado chunks for the first time in the store yesterday and wondered if they are any good.  What a serendipitous report!  Thanks!
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

paultuttle

Quote from: Thursday's_Child on February 06, 2022, 09:23:12 AM
What a pain, paultuttle!

My current problem is with avocados.  The other day the grocery store had the nice tiny ones in bags of six.  They were still hard, so I bought them in full confidence that they couldn't possibly ripen all at once.  Silly me!  Avocado toast for breakfast.  Salsa for snack later today.  What else?  Maybe now being in the 'fridge will help....  OTOH, they are lovely avocados - silky smooth, excellent flavor, and a tiny pit.

Idiot loyalty card fraud investigation rep: "So sorry you had problems during your stay."

Me, channeling James Earl Jones in The Hunt for Red October, in what I believe is the deepest growl I've ever produced: "I was never there."

sinenomine

Someone's groceries were delivered to my door — no name, no receipt, and no one coming looking for them.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: sinenomine on February 12, 2022, 08:39:37 AM
Someone's groceries were delivered to my door — no name, no receipt, and no one coming looking for them.

Sounds like a first world windfall to me.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Thursday's_Child

Quote from: bacardiandlime on February 09, 2022, 08:14:17 AM

This is true: I regularly buy them frozen! Hint: the good ones are dusted in ascorbic acid powder so they don't go brown as you defrost them.

Thank you both!  This information will limit the amount of avocado that becomes expensive compost in my house...

EdnaMode

My dentist is retiring. A colleague recommended him because I'm a complete wimp when it comes to dental work. I saw that colleague today, we are both in despair over receiving a "Dear Patient" letter from the dentist. His practice is being transferred to another dental practice. I'll give them one try, but if they don't deal well with me, I'll have to begin the search for a dentist all over again.
I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.

mamselle

Quote from: Thursday's_Child on February 12, 2022, 10:03:41 AM
Quote from: bacardiandlime on February 09, 2022, 08:14:17 AM

Thank you both!  This information will limit the amount of avocado that becomes expensive compost in my house...

Just FYI, but owing to severe issues with cartel behavior in Mexico, avocados are currently not being shipped to the US:

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/594063-us-suspends-avocado-imports-from-mexico-after-threat-to-inspector

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

arcturus

As I settle in on my couch for a few hours of Olympic coverage to feed my brain-dead brain, it looks like these are the same events they broadcast live this morning (which I watched while eating breakfast). Are there so few events that Americans are willing to watch during the winter Olympics that we have to broadcast them multiple times?

Ruralguy

I'm not interested at all, so I'd probably guess that, yes, there's a very limited number of events that they folks will watch.

AmLitHist

I'm aggravated that all the other networks have ceded February sweeps to NBC and the Olympics, which have been boring as hell when I've dropped in now and then. Even reruns of the few shows I do watch have been better than NBC, but new episodes of those series could be blowing NBC out of the water right now, I'd think.