News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Movie Thread

Started by overthejordan, May 17, 2019, 11:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ergative

Quote from: Hegemony on June 16, 2022, 01:57:29 AM
I just rewatched Galaxy Quest. Man, I love that movie so much.

Perfect movie, no notes.

ab_grp

Quote from: ergative on June 16, 2022, 06:07:52 AM
Quote from: Hegemony on June 16, 2022, 01:57:29 AM
I just rewatched Galaxy Quest. Man, I love that movie so much.

Perfect movie, no notes.

That's another one my husband introduced me to.  Now I want to watch it again! Thanks for the reminder.

Hegemony

I'm here to report on "The Outfit," which is currently free on Peacock and available on other services. It's a twisty sort of thriller with Mark Rylance (who is superb) and various others. The trouble with Mark Rylance being so good is that he makes the other actors look a bit inept — which they were. Until along comes Simon Russell Beale, and he was superb too. The movie has some nice surprises; it's very much in the mode of a noir film of the '50s. Not one for the ages — the depth isn't there — but it did the job of keeping me entertained for an evening.

Wahoo Redux

I highly recommend "Faults."  I believe I found it on Prime.  It is very much in the vein of the Coen Brother's "Blood Simple" or "Fargo," but a bit darker, although it certainly has a great many dark humor moments.  New noir is what I would call this.  It deserves a bit of a trigger warning because it deals with some disturbing stuff but not in a gratuitous manner.  Every time I thought I'd figured out the next plot twist I was completely wrong. 

Also, "The Battery" from 2012 is the most brilliant low-budget zombie film I have ever seen.  I cannot figure out why it wasn't a major hit.

"Raccoon Valley" was purportedly made for $175, so there are some laptop generated special effects, but it might be worth the worth the watch to see a relatively good ultra-low-budget movie.  It is actually really scary.

And finally, from the vault, "Palookaville" from 1995.  This was one of the funniest movies I've ever seen but no one seems to have heard of it.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

hmaria1609

"Finding Babel" (2015) on Kanopy
In this documentary about the life of Isaac Babel, his grandson Andrei follows in his late grandfather's footsteps and visits the locations described in Babel's writings.

statsgeek

Over a week later and I'm still trying to process Everything, Everywhere, All at Once.  Not usually my thing (StatSpouse wanted to see it, so....).  Completely bizarre.  But, somehow, it's still with me. 

What did others think? 

On another note - see Top Gun.  See it in the theatre. 

ab_grp

Quote from: statsgeek on June 22, 2022, 04:48:38 AM
Over a week later and I'm still trying to process Everything, Everywhere, All at Once.  Not usually my thing (StatSpouse wanted to see it, so....).  Completely bizarre.  But, somehow, it's still with me. 

What did others think? 

I really want to see this one based on all the reviews I've read.  My youngest (18) saw it and was completely blown away.  I think it might be a favorite of all time now.  It sounds like it's pretty complicated but is pulled off well.  Do you think so?

Hegemony

Quote from: statsgeek on June 22, 2022, 04:48:38 AM

What did others think? 

As I think I said earlier, I was among the few who were underwhelmed. But I read a lot of mind-bending scifi, so the plot was not as extraordinary to me as maybe to more mainstream viewers. I mean, it was fine. But I myself wouldn't have made a lot of fuss about it. However, others may be seeing something I'm missing.

RatGuy

What would your examples be of movies which are representative of a particular genre or category? Not necessarily the best or your favorite, but the one that fulfills your criteria for a particular genre/type/style? For example, which movie is the most representative of "Heist Movies," or "Films Adapted from Classic Television Series," or "Mysteries with Detective Haunted By Tragic Pasts?"

I got thinking about this question because some friends were discussing "what makes a good 80s action movie?" And they wouldn't accept my answer of "Con Air" because it was released in the late 90s, even though by their metrics is checked all the "80s action movie" criteria. To a college freshmen, would it seem any different stylistically, tonally, or textually from "Die Hard" or "Rambo?"

(I will say that part of that discussion focused on the ways other genres bled into the idea of "action," with both "Predator" and "RoboCop" being standouts. Personally I classify the original "Terminator" as a horror movie rather than an action movie, but you see how we got in the weeds of this particular discussion).

fishbrains

Is "dark comedy" an actual genre (not a big film buff here)? I watched I, Tonya last week on a plane, and laughed through the entire film. Then I sat there trying not to cry on the plane for 2 hours as I thought about all the people I've known who were remarkably and singularly talented, but for whom life just didn't work out for reasons pretty much beyond their control. [sigh]

But oh, my. When little Tonya walked in wearing her fur coat, I about pooped myself from laughing so hard.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

mamselle

I haven't watched it and don't plan to.

No-one should profit or gain from the infamous notoriety of such a horrible, cruel, mean stunt.

I thought Kerrigan won on all levels by making such a resilient comeback.

(Having been a member of my school's figure skating club, I'm afraid I take it all rather seriously).

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

fishbrains

Quote from: mamselle on July 01, 2022, 04:22:38 PM
No-one should profit or gain from the infamous notoriety of such a horrible, cruel, mean stunt.

You're gonna miss quite a few good movies with this criteria, but to each their own.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

mamselle

I probably miss a lot of good movies for many different reasons.

I only see a film or two a year....I've never been a huge fan.

But that one hit particularly close to home.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

clean

I just watched Werewolves Within

It was not particularly a horror movie, as a comedy of sorts.  It is a worthy 'who done it' as you are not sure who is the werewolf (or even IF there is one!)

So sort of a mystery/comedy/horror show. 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Hegemony

Quote from: mamselle on July 01, 2022, 04:22:38 PM
I haven't watched it and don't plan to.

I thought Kerrigan won on all levels by making such a resilient comeback.

(Having been a member of my school's figure skating club, I'm afraid I take it all rather seriously).

M.

I get where you're coming from, but the movie is definitely not a whitewashing job on Tanya Harding. It's more an exploration of everything that came together to make the situation what it was. I found it well done and thought-provoking. Not trying to persuade you to see it, but just saying that it did not strike me in any way as profiteering off or making light of tragedy.