News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Movie Thread

Started by overthejordan, May 17, 2019, 11:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Economizer

I am not a big fan of Liam Neeson but I really enjoyed HONEST THIEF. Smartly, the product seemed to be economically shot, but had a lot of action with just enough pathos. Critics I've read complain it's a remake of other story lines. They seem to be looking for THE NEXT BIG THING. This movie is an entertaining effort that will make money. A wise choice.

While tough enough, what kept me on the edge of my seat was my trying to get a good angle to view the female lead's cleavage. If you want violence, try reading one of our day's action/mysteries! It's a very good flick.

Oh, nobody much at the show, no senior prices, snacks still priced high, and ticket prices look to be up about 175%. If you gotta, you gotta. The threatened motion picture theater folks need money NOW!

So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

Economizer

Quote from: Economizer on October 18, 2020, 07:39:12 PM
I am not a big fan of Liam Neeson but I really enjoyed HONEST THIEF. Smartly, the product seemed to be economically shot, but had a lot of action with just enough pathos. Critics I've read complain it's a remake of other story lines. They seem to be looking for THE NEXT BIG THING. This movie is an entertaining effort that will make money. A wise choice.

While tough enough, what kept me on the edge of my seat was my trying to get a good angle to view the female lead's cleavage. If you want violence, try reading one of our day's action/mysteries! It's a very good flick.

Oh, nobody much at the show, no senior prices, snacks still priced high, and ticket prices look to be up about 175%. If you gotta, you gotta. The threatened motion picture theater folks need money NOW!
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

spork

The wifey and I watched Moneyball for the first time on Netflix. I'm a big fan of Michael Lewis's books, and I thought this was a reasonably good adaptation. We both liked the movie even though my wife has zero understanding of baseball jargon. But we thought it would have been much improved if it had a 90 minute instead of 120+ minute running time. The baseball montages were overkill. Filmmakers: just tell the damn story. Stop assuming we're stupid and need historical context.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Parasaurolophus

We recently saw The Addams Family and The Addams Family Values. They're ok, although the second is certainly not for an audience of children.

Also Alien, about which nothing need be said, since it's awesome.

Also Miss Austen Regrets, which was a fun sort of biopic. It certainly filled the Austen-style period drama void, and it was well acted.
I know it's a genus.

hmaria1609

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on October 19, 2020, 07:42:53 AM
Also Miss Austen Regrets, which was a fun sort of biopic. It certainly filled the Austen-style period drama void, and it was well acted
I remember watching that on "Masterpiece Theater" as part of a Jane Austen anniversary special.
I have a collector's edition of the Sense & Sensibility and Persuasion on DVD. (Both from 2008)  The 2nd disc of Sense & Sensibility has "Miss Austen Regrets."

sprout

Quote from: spork on October 19, 2020, 06:13:32 AM
The wifey and I watched Moneyball for the first time on Netflix. I'm a big fan of Michael Lewis's books, and I thought this was a reasonably good adaptation. We both liked the movie even though my wife has zero understanding of baseball jargon. But we thought it would have been much improved if it had a 90 minute instead of 120+ minute running time. The baseball montages were overkill. Filmmakers: just tell the damn story. Stop assuming we're stupid and need historical context.

Funny - spouse and I watched this a few nights ago!  I really enjoyed it, and didn't mind the running time at all. 

spork

Watched the first half of The Trial of the Chicago 7 last night. Highly entertaining, except for Sasha Baron Cohen's terrible attempt at a Worcester accent. I'm surprised Sorkin and his team didn't just tell him to forget it. Frank Langella is awesome as Judge Hoffman.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

monarda

Quote from: spork on October 23, 2020, 06:00:48 AM
Watched the first half of The Trial of the Chicago 7 last night. Highly entertaining, except for Sasha Baron Cohen's terrible attempt at a Worcester accent. I'm surprised Sorkin and his team didn't just tell him to forget it. Frank Langella is awesome as Judge Hoffman.

We watched that the other day and quite enjoyed it.

Yesterday we saw Jimmy Carter, Rock and Roll President. It was just what we needed with all the election fatigue. Available om Amazon and iTunes. Released in September.

Also, because of the passing of James The amazing Randi, We watched an Honest Liar That one was on PBS Passport, American Experience, I think.

spork

We finished watching The Trial of the Chicago 7 some time ago. Second half was as entertaining as the first. Two thumbs up.

Last night I watched Fury. The tank combat scenes are quite well done. Sets and cast looked grimy and damaged throughout, which added to the realism. Not as many maudlin male bonding patriotism scenes as I was dreading, which was good. It's not a film for children though given the numerous scenes of people being killed.

spork

Watched Steve Jobs on Netflix. Wow, what a fantastic movie. Aaron Sorkin and Danny Boyle did a really good job creating it, and the cast is amazing.

writingprof

Just watched Babe for the dozenth time.  Am I alone in tearing up a bit when Babe talks the sheep through the obstacle course at the end?

hmaria1609

Quote from: writingprof on December 13, 2020, 03:19:41 PM
Just watched Babe for the dozenth time.  Am I alone in tearing up a bit when Babe talks the sheep through the obstacle course at the end?
There was a sequel "Babe: Pig in the City" in 1998. Babe and Mrs. Hoggett have to go to the city to save the farm.

Hegemony

I thought "Babe: Pig in the City" was dreadful.  Some movies should leave sequels well enough alone. Yes, I'm also talking to you, "Zoolander II."  One exception is the sequel to "Paddington."

spork

Watched Ava on Netflix. A sufficiently entertaining popcorn movie. Major A-list cast. It was fun watching John Malkovich and Geena Davis demonstrate their chops in B-movie roles. Note to Jessica Chastain: you need a running coach. A highly-athletic character doesn't run like you do.

spork

Watched Captain Phillips on IMDB, based on the real-life seizure of the Maersk Alabama by Somali pirates and the rescue of its captain. I really liked it. Pacing was pretty fast. No needless back story. The four Somalis in supporting roles did an incredible job as first-time actors. The only thing that I didn't much like was the accent that Tom Hanks was trying to speak in. Maybe it was supposed to have been Vermontian, but he sounded to me like a Kennedy from Hyannis.