News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Belt Tightening

Started by evil_physics_witchcraft, July 21, 2022, 07:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

So, I just checked my monthly finance spreadsheet and we're in the black again (which is good), but the amount leftover has been declining over the past few months. We're in the market for new phones, a car and probably more medical bills (I had to pay about $600 this month because of my deductible and my crappy insurance). On that note, I'm considering even more belt tightening.

I'm not sure what I'll need to cut just yet. I really need another income stream. What do you all do?

ergative

Alcohol? When we're feeling festive we go through a couple of bottles of wine a week, which can add up to $100 a month or more every month, depending on how good a bottle we buy.

evil_physics_witchcraft

We don't really drink over here. Right now, it looks like medical and dental bills are kicking out butts.

mamselle

I don't operate on anything like the same scale, but I often make larger portions of something I like and use it throughout the week, maybe one day for lunch, another day for dinner, etc.

I've trimmed back quite a bit on frozen foods, too; I also make and freeze my own stuff more often than I used to.

Just figured out a cool fruit-pop sort of thing for desserts that was quick and tasty. Made 6 of them and that's dessert for the week's dinners.

Made a stratta that works for breakfasts, same thing.

It also means I spend less time making meals and--since there are articles and teaching to be done, it saves time as well.

But you may do all those things already.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

clean

It is enrollment time here. I put in 2700 for health care reimbursements this year. That should cover the medicines and deductables we will go through. My Bride needs a hearing aid (2 really) and that will kill that account quickly if she goes through with it.

The account moves 300 a month for my 9 month annual contract and that cuts my taxes by about $500, I think.  It makes it easier, especially for My Bride to pay for her drugs.  I use the Express Scripts that the university uses, but she prefers to go to Walgreens rather than get her prescriptions in the mail. (I dont know why).  This gives her a card to use, and she just uses it to pay for her scripts, and that makes it easy.  In May or June we monitor the level to see how much is left over.  IF there is a good chunk left, then glasses are easy to pay for, and probably needed! 

So it wont save a lot up front but it will save you on taxes.  (multiply your tax rate times the amount you put in the account to see what you will save. 

Make sure that you keep your cars maintained as a small savings (oil change for instance) can cause big expenses (new engine!)

The best place to buy a car is the obituaries.  If you know someone with a deceased relative, they may have a car that they are looking to sell. They are often very low mileage and well taken care of! 

Do you need all of the TV that they are charging you for?  Are there other subscriptions that you are not really using or can be replaced elsewhere?
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader