News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

jury duty

Started by kaysixteen, July 25, 2022, 05:16:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaysixteen

So I did call the automated phone number last night and confirmed that the service was on.   I filled out the questionnaire and showed up bright and early by the 8am start time--- I actually only live now less than a 10 minute walk from the courthouse.   Jury pool officer showed us a sappy state video on jury service, ran 20 minutes, then took questions (there were none).  Judge came in and said a few things, especially eager to thank us for being there.   Jury pool officer then told us that there were probably ten cases on the district court (which we were summoned for-- this is the lower level jury court here, and they only needed to summon 22 potential jurors for it today, whereas yesterday's superior court pool was 70-80).   He said that the lawyers and judges were hard at work preparing to deal with these cases, which apparently meant that lawyers were discussing settlements.   Officer said he would check in every hour or so to give us updates as to if/when we were needed.   He then put 'Bruce Almighty' on the tv (I had never seen it--- it was not very good, as a movie, though it did have some laugh lines).   Halfway through he stopped the flick to  tell us that many of the cases had already been settled.   Finished the movie.   Officer then said more of the cases had been settled, only three left.  Then he put 'Fever Pitch' on (about 2004 Red Sox, and a delirious fan).   We got halfway through that flick when the officer stopped flick, told us all cases were settled, and we were done, which means, in this state, that we cannot be called again for at least 3 years.   It was probably 11:45.  I would actually like to serve on a real jury, so long as the case would not take weeks, etc.  Ah well.   It is a civic duty, and  we would miss it if juries went away.   We would also miss it if only morons served on them.

Wahoo Redux

Congrats on not having to serve. 
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

mythbuster

You mentioning of the movies made me remember the very first time I was called. It was right before I started grad school, so I rode in with Dad in the AM to the courthouse. It was also the day Hong Kong was handed over to the Chinese- so the TV in the waiting room was showing that all morning. That sort of thing really puts jury duty in perspective. Like K, we sat for much of the day and were never called.

hmaria1609

In March 2017, I got a notice for petit jury duty in my county. I had to call an automated phone number daily for 3 or 4 days and listen to a recorded message. In the end, I never had to go to the courthouse. I've yet to do grand jury at the state or federal level.

I remember there was an article in "American Libraries" magazine about library staff serving as jurors.

One of my coworkers is on grand jury duty all this month through early August.

secundem_artem

Never been on a jury since not a citizen but did testify once as an expert witness.  I found a jury to be a lot like a classroom.  Nobody wants to be there, a few people paying attention, some not.  Make your points clear and to the point and don't drone on.  Follow the lawyer who hired you like you're a running back and he/she is blocking - figure out where the question is going and where the lawyer is trying to take you and follow.  Do the opposite (within reason) for the opposing counsel.

Last month had to answer a subpoena.  Waited outside the courtroom for half a day.  Got a check for $5 from the city as reimbursement for answering the subpoena.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

mamselle

The first day I landed in my now-still-state-of-residence, in 1978, I received a jury summons in the mail.

I remember opening the little aluminum box thingy in my new apartment building and wondering who knew to send me mail there?*

Before I could even answer, it was cancelled, also by mail.

They've never sent me one since. I did think about inquiring, but it seemed like it could stir up more paperwork and confusion than it might be worth to anyone, myself included, so I left it, figuring it they could find me once, they'd find me again.

They never have. (Of course, this post will probably jinx it....)

M.

* Only one other person did--my aunt, who kindly sent me $6.00 to spend as I pleased. Unfortunately, someone had slit the envelope and taken the cash. I wrote to thank her and didn't tell her it had been stolen--she'd have tried again, probably with the same result...but it was an eye-opener.

Didn't know people would do that, then. One learns...
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.